News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New CPC 6128 Owner, so much to explore!

Started by brookstermax, 21:07, 02 April 17

Previous topic - Next topic

brookstermax

Hi All

I was a ZX Spectrum owner in the 80s however had a very profound experience on a friends CPC 464 when I stayed round his house one evening. He had a colour monitor (parents must have been wealthy!) and we played Super Robin Hood. I though that game was absolutely amazing compared to anything I saw on my Spectrum.

Well now 30 years later, I finally I have my hands on a CPC 6128 after taking a punt on a untested machine listed on eBay. Thankfully it works, except the disk drive. I have a replacement belt incoming, and have experience of this repair from my Spectrum +3.

I have just one game to test my CPC 6128, Saint and Greavsie (as it was dirt cheap!).

[attach1]

Anyway I look forward to getting a dedicated monitor, and working out how best to play Super Robin Hood and discover the other excellent titles on this machine.

keith56

Welcome to the CPC community!

Well done on the new 6128! I'm sure you'll get the floppy drive working again.

You probably know you can plug a tape player into the 6128 as another way of getting games on the system.

If you're willing to add hardware to the system the M4 wifi card and HxC disk emulator both allow you to play disk images on the CPC so may be of interest to you!

Hope you enjoy the new CPC!
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

Skunkfish

Welcome!

I couldn't help but notice your Dreamcast and MegaCD collections, very nice! And is that a blue Game Gear on top of the MegaDrive II? I'm jealous...
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

mr_lou

Welcome!

Hope you'll enjoy the nostalgic trip as much as the rest of us do.  :)

VincentGR

brookstermax

Thanks for the welcome, I have reserved a M4 card with Duke. That looks like a great piece of kit for me.

Quote from: Skunkfish on 22:49, 02 April 17I couldn't help but notice your Dreamcast and MegaCD collections, very nice! And is that a blue Game Gear on top of the MegaDrive II? I'm jealous...

The Mega CD and Dreamcast collection are mainly original from the 90s/early 2000s when I first got those machines as a teenager. I love Sega and it is sad they no longer make hardware.

It is a blue Blue Game Gear, well spotted and it has been recapped so works properly. The Mega Drive II is actually a Genesis II, hence there are black buttons not red. This desk in the photo is one section of my room dedicated to home computers - under the tea towel is an Amiga 1200! My games consoles are in another corner.

Look forward to contributing here and learning more about the CPC.

Skunkfish

I assume the tea towel is to prevent the A1200 from yellowing? Mine looks awful now!

I would highly recommend some sort of floppy emulator as well. Either a HxC or a GoTek with HxC Firmware (cheaper). While a lot of games will run directly from the M4 you will find that some try to access the floppy directly and will not work.

Also *sales mode on*, you may want to give my little fanzine a look (www.cpcfanzine.com). I've still got some copies of Issue 1 left and Issue 2 is due out shortly! *sales mode off*
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

CraigsBar

Quote from: Skunkfish on 13:28, 05 April 17
I assume the tea towel is to prevent the A1200 from yellowing? Mine looks awful now!

I would highly recommend some sort of floppy emulator as well. Either a HxC or a GoTek with HxC Firmware (cheaper). While a lot of games will run directly from the M4 you will find that some try to access the floppy directly and will not work.

Also *sales mode on*, you may want to give my little fanzine a look (www.cpcfanzine.com). I've still got some copies of Issue 1 left and Issue 2 is due out shortly! *sales mode off*
By some miracle u seem to have a collection of amiga machines that have not yellowed!

A600 with vampire v2 is perfectly white
A1200 with dkb mongoose is also white. Although my spare a600 that is aca620 accelerated is a little yellow.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Skunkfish

Quote from: CraigsBar on 15:26, 05 April 17
By some miracle u seem to have a collection of amiga machines that have not yellowed!

A600 with vampire v2 is perfectly white
A1200 with dkb mongoose is also white. Although my spare a600 that is aca620 accelerated is a little yellow.

It must be that fresh Irish air!

How's the Vampire v2? Worth getting? If they ever release an A1200 version I'll be interested...

CraigsBar

He'll yeah, so very worth getting. If only we had a decent cpc/plus emulator for amigaos. I mean running macos 8.1 on an a600 is great.... But I want to play prehistorik 2 on it 🕹️😉
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode