News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New guy here!

Started by PaultheRoman, 03:08, 30 August 19

Previous topic - Next topic

PaultheRoman

Heyo guys, I'm a newcomer to this forum and to the Amstrad CPC in general. What kind of got me here is how much easier it is to start coding for the Amstrad CPC using WinAPE. All other retro consoles (not counting the ZX Spectrum, but the Amstrad CPC's graphics are just a lot more appealing) were hard to code for in assembly because of all those command-line based assemblers for the 6502. With WinAPE and the Zeus Z80 assembler/IDE, the bar for actually starting out programming here is a lot lower since I don't have to bash my head trying to figure out something CC65, VASM, DASM, or other assemblers of the like. Anywho, I'm interested in learning how to program for the Amstrad CPC, plus also making pixel art and chiptune for it (since I want to learn game development and demo development for it). Because of this I was wondering if you guys could recommend me programs to make pixel art and chiptune using the Amstrad CPC, in order to keep that retro feel in the development. Also, if anyone can recommend another good emulator, besides WinAPE, in order to actually use it for games and such. I found the CPCEC, is that any good? Last but not least, what tutorial or book do you recommend me for learning assembly for the Amstrad CPC?

I hope I didn't ask too many questions, I just want to hear people's recommendations. Thank you all for making such a well maintained wiki on the Amstrad CPC! ;D

Gryzor

Wow, Puerto Rico... we only have some 10 visitors from your part of the world in 2019!

So, welcome, make yourself at home and I'm sure people will offer all the advice you need :)

norecess464

Hello and welcome @PaultheRoman ! Amstrad machines are fantastic to discover, even nowadays.
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

asertus

@PaultheRoman , coming from Puertor Rico if, by chance you speak Spanish you have plenty of resources and videos by @ronaldo , cpctelera, assembler, etc...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSdIAKvPxlB3VlFDCBvI46A

PaultheRoman

@asertus Estoy feliz de ver que la comunidad hispana también está activo aquí! Tampoco sabía que el Profesor Retroman ( @ronaldo  ) estaba aquí, esto me pone muy alegre jaja. Gracias por señalar esto, se lo agradezco ;D . Había visto que la serie de ronaldo sobre el Z80 estaba en la página principal, pero quería esperar qué las personas me dirían en terminos de recomendaciones.

Translation:
I'm happy to hear that the Hispanic community is also active here! I didn't know that Professor Retroman was here, this makes me very happy haha. Thanks for pointing that out, I appreciate it  ;D . I saw that ronaldo's series on the Z80 was on the front page, but I wanted to see what people told me in their recommendations.

trocoloco

Bienvenido (Welcome) Paul! If what you want is making chiptunes with the Amstrad itself you can give a go with Starkos and Soundtrakker 128, they are both nice trackers and for windows it has to be Arkos Tracker 2. For playing with emulators I'd recommend you to try RetroVirtualMAchine, wich is awesome and also JavaCPC.

SkulleateR

Welcome from Germany, always nice to see how international our hobby is  8)

AMSDOS

Hello, there's lots of Assembly stuff scattered all over the place with Source Code in the Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource as well as the Example Z80 Assembly programs thread on here and Source Code on the CPCWiki, I coded a simple assembly game which I don't think has been made available anywhere else, just to see what could be done from the Firmware.

The Book I have is "Assembly Language Programming for the Amstrad CPC 464,664 & 6128" by A.P. & D.J. Stephenson, but I don't know how available it is, I tried Photocopying mine for Scanning but it's one of those awkward sized books that it's a pain to properly accomplish!  :( In terms of it's content I think it's a good introductary book to Assembly Language with a lot of examples which use the Amstrad's Firmware, being an early book which makes use of the early Hisoft Devpac Assembler.

A number of books have also being Archived on ENGLISH]Amstrad CPC Memoire Ecrite (ACME) which maybe worth checking out too.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

keith56

Welcome to the forum! Good to hear you're enjoying programming assembly!

I agree Winape is excellent for development, and the CPC community is blessed to have it! I even built the Speccy & MSX versions of ChibiAkumas with it!

If you're looking for an alternative CPC emulator, ARNOLD is a good one that supports lots of weird add on hardware.
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/emulators/arnold-wip/150/

ArkosTracker is my favourite for music... I wrote my own 'AkuSprite' Editor for creating bitmap graphics for the CPC...
https://github.com/akuyou/Akumagic-Toolkit/tree/master/SpriteEditor
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

mr_lou