News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New into CPC

Started by retro space, 13:00, 19 May 24

Previous topic - Next topic

retro space

I grew up with the Philips P2000T, and found out the CPC is a rather "similar" computer, so I bought a CPC 464. Things I like are the shared Z80 processor, decent RGB output, a repair friendly design and a proper BASIC implementation.
Teaching computer science on a high school with the CPC, P2000T, Spectrum and C64.

cwpab

QuoteTeaching computer science on a high school with the CPC, P2000T, Spectrum and C64.

That's really cool! If you don't mind... How do kids react to these machines? Do you allow them to load some games in the break times? Which of these 4 machines is their favorite?

Also, I just discovered the P2000T thanks to your message, it seems like a neat machine for 1980. Judging by this video, the graphics were really cute, but Mobygames lists only 70 games. This video shows 15 of them... it looks like one of them is an earlier version of Amstrad Jumper, one of my least favorite games as a kid (both versions are an Atari 2600 clone, I think).

Finally and just in case you don't know, I recommend checking CPC Game Reviews for the  top 700 games and CPC-Power for all games and applications.

retro space

It
Quote from: cwpab on 14:25, 19 May 24
QuoteTeaching computer science on a high school with the CPC, P2000T, Spectrum and C64.

That's really cool! If you don't mind... How do kids react to these machines? Do you allow them to load some games in the break times? Which of these 4 machines is their favorite?
They don't use them for break, but for a lesson program to dive into computer architecture.
Next plan is to have them code a simple game in Z80 assembly.
Teaching computer science on a high school with the CPC, P2000T, Spectrum and C64.

retro space

I tried some very nice games. I really like Prince of Persia, Rick 1 & 2, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man.
I have to say to really appreciate them it works best on a CRT, that both hides the rectangular pixels and makes the colours transition much smoother. For example, PoP looks nicer than the PC version.

eto

Quote from: retro space on 14:44, 19 May 24They don't use them for break, but for a lesson program to dive into computer architecture.
How old are those kids? I still think that these 80s computers with their direct feedback of BASIC (including sound and graphics) is a great way of getting in touch with computers and learning the basics of how computers work, what sound is or what e.g. pixels are. 

cwpab

Quote from: retro space on 15:39, 19 May 24I tried some very nice games. I really like Prince of Persia, Rick 1 & 2, Donkey Kong, Pac-Man.
I have to say to really appreciate them it works best on a CRT, that both hides the rectangular pixels and makes the colours transition much smoother. For example, PoP looks nicer than the PC version.
Nice selection of classics! Not a fan of Pac-Man myself (I actually had a Pac-Man clone called Haunted Hedges for my CPC as a kid... maybe you want to try it, it has a unique look... wasn't among my favorites).

Let me recommend you a couple of games that are more or less exclusive to the CPC:

- 3D Grand Prix: This is a very impressive game for an 8 bit computer. Sadly, you can't select automatic gears. But it's worth trying, even if I needed an emulator to complete it. It's a 1st person F1 simulator with some of the biggest sprites for the system.

- Tank Commander: A not-so-simple, extremely cute tank game. You move a tank in an overhead "map view", but the view shifts to 1st person when there are other tanks around. In the 1st person view, you need to press up, down, left and right to move the turret (you're basically stopped, but can turn everywhere), and the tanks are scrolling left to right or viceversa, but they appear bigger (closer) after a while. It has nice effects and exploring the map is fun. My sister used to watch me play this while drawing a map.

retro space

Quote from: eto on 17:50, 19 May 24
Quote from: retro space on 14:44, 19 May 24They don't use them for break, but for a lesson program to dive into computer architecture.
How old are those kids? I still think that these 80s computers with their direct feedback of BASIC (including sound and graphics) is a great way of getting in touch with computers and learning the basics of how computers work, what sound is or what e.g. pixels are.
15-18yo