News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

New to this forum...

Started by mv, 21:59, 23 September 19

Previous topic - Next topic

mv

Hi,
am am new to this forum but not to the CPC.
Years ago, I wrote CPCEMU for DOS, one of the first CPC emulators.
Then I focused on other topics like performance and benchmarks.

I do not know why, but I still find the CPC fascinating.
Currently I am working on a project with CPC BASIC...

And yes, I still have my old CPC 6128.

Marco

SkulleateR

I remember using CPCEMU when my 464 died, welcome to the forum  8)

keith56

Welcome to the forum!... Thanks for signing up.

Glad to hear you're still finding things to excite you about the CPC!, what's the basic project you're working on?

I can't imagine what writing a CPC emulator in DOS must be like, amazing stuff!
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

mahlemiut

Ahh, the first emulator I ever used... all the way back in 1996.  (I'm feeling old now)
- Barry Rodewald

ComSoft6128

Ygdrazil

Hi Marco
Welcome...
Thanks for writing CPCEMU.. I still clearly remember the magical moment when the CPC (re-)appeared on my PC screen in the mid 90's.. 
Since then i have unearthed my real CPC, and it's now in working condition in my study.. I feel the same way - somehow the CPC still fascinates my to this day (Even though it wasnt my first computer (ZX81)) - Maybe because it's the only computer where I feel i know exactly what's going on inside :-)

Hope you will enjoy the CPCWIKI!
Regards,
/Ygdrazil

Quote from: mv on 21:59, 23 September 19Hi,
Then I focused on other topics like performance and benchmarks.
fascinating
I do not know why, but I still find the CPC fascinating.
Currently I am working on a project with CPC BASIC...

And yes, I still have my old CPC 6128.

Marco

AMSDOS

I didn't have a PC when I got a copy of this emulator, so tried it on a friends Pentium 133 PC with Electro Freddy. Sadly it took me some time to realise I had to turn the Real Time On to play it! :D
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

norecess464

I remember how impressed I was to play Bomb Jack and Ikari Warriors on a PC. The concept of "emulators" was totally new to me !!

CPCEMU was an excellent tool for me back in the days, I remember using it to write articles for Ghoul's Fanz 4 diskmag while I was in vacations far from my real CPC. :)
I'm glad you joined this forum. Welcome!
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

villain

I still remember where I've seen CPCEMU the first time. At Marabu's castle and we all were quite impressed what a PC is capable of.  8)
Welcome!

mv

Quote from: keith56 on 23:13, 23 September 19
Welcome to the forum!... Thanks for signing up.

Glad to hear you're still finding things to excite you about the CPC!, what's the basic project you're working on?

I can't imagine what writing a CPC emulator in DOS must be like, amazing stuff!
Thank you!
I will put some information about the project in "Emulators" (even if it is rather a simulator...)

LambdaMikel

Hi Marco,

I also started with your CPCEMU on the PC in the mid 90s... I remember sitting at the Sun SPARC Station in the terminal room of my university in Hamburg, downloading all the DSK images from

ftp://ftp.nvg.ntnu.no/pub/cpc/00_index.html

putting them on 3.5" disks. Then I built the transfer cable and transmitted them to 3" disk from the PC to the CPC - I believe the instructions for building that transfer cable came with CPCEMU, as well as the transfer programs. I also saved a couple of my own 3" CPC disks to the PC that way. 

Those were good times!

Welcome to this place of the internet.   :)

Skunkfish

Welcome Marco!
I have such good memories of those early days of CPC emulation.
I had a friend with a PC and we found an early-ish version of CPCEMU on a BBS around 1994.
We didn't have have the ROM images however, so we amateurishly knocked up a parallel transfer cable to send them from the CPC, promptly causing a puff of smoke and a burning smell to emanate from his Dad's PC!
His Dad was a deputy Headteacher and a fairly fearsome man, so he was naturally bricking it at the though of telling him that we'd fried the PC... Thankfully it was just the controller card we'd fried rather than the whole PC.

Also, my 6128 was fine ;)
Shortly afterwards, we discovered the ROM files on another BBS and realised that we'd almost destroyed his Dad's PC for nothing... Ah, happy days.
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

LambdaMikel

Quote from: Skunkfish on 10:09, 25 September 19
so we amateurishly knocked up a parallel transfer cable to send them from the CPC, promptly causing a puff of smoke and a burning smell to emanate from his Dad's PC!
Great story! That must have been one of these high voltage powered ones that has direct AC 220 Volts on one of the pins  :laugh:

Maybe you should have followed the instructions for building the cable that came from Marco with the CPCEMU in the first place  :D

mv

Thank you all for the warm welcome and so many good memories!

I also liked the fried PC controller story.
It reminds me of the day I burned my Athlon. Only a few seconds without a CPU cooler was too much for the poor thing and it smoked off.
That would not have happend to the good old CPC. At least not my CPC.
Fumbling at the expansion port produced "screens of death", but after the reset, everything was fine again.
Has anyone who is thinking of perfect emulation already tried to simulate such effects? ... ;)

Marco

LambdaMikel

Quote from: mv on 13:22, 26 September 19
Has anyone who is thinking of perfect emulation already tried to simulate such effects? ... ;)

... how about adding the "puff of smoke and burning smell" to a PC emulator. I happens when the emulated printer port gets shorted  :D

SRS

Willkommen !
During early 90ies i STILL used my CPC464 even during my engineering studies so emulating it was of no interest to me until the late 2000 ... now I love the chance to develop on "PC" instead of "CPC" but still run my progs on good old cpc from 1985 (i guess), the pc still placed on the schneider cpc table from 80ies so even my "latest intermodal transport software" is kind of cpcish ;)

Again, welcome to one of the pioneers of pc-cpc !

remax

Yeah, Marco Vieth !

Your emulator is the thing that have thrown me in the emu scene forever.

I still remember when i saw the CPC screen on my PC for the first time, i was so astonished !

Welcome here
Brain Radioactivity

Gryzor

CPCEmu was the first CPC emulator I ever used (the very first was PacifiST for the Atari ST) (or, if you go back more, some DOS emu on my 1040STFM :D ). So thanks for all the memories =)

Zoe Robinson

Quote from: mv on 21:59, 23 September 19
Hi,

Welcome to the forum! CPCemu was the first CPC emulator I ever used. I think I still have a copy somewhere on an old backup CD. Thanks for helping to keep the CPC alive!

mahlemiut

CPCemu was my first emulator, period (in 1996).  (MAME was my second)
- Barry Rodewald