:/ not a single retrogame in southWest of Ireland

Started by jbaudrand, 13:03, 13 July 12

Previous topic - Next topic

jbaudrand

hello, I was in south west of Ireland for one week, for visiting this breathtaking country. I've visited some town, gallway, Limerick... and find some easy cash shop, gamestop: not a single retro game... even a game boy advance or PS2 one... Did they recylce it? Any idea?

Bryce

Gamestop isn't an "easy cash" shop, it's a normal Games shop that just happen to sell a few secondhand (but relatively new) games too. I doubt they'd buy any retro games from anyone.

You should have let Beaker know you were in his neighbourhood, he could have shown you some great retro games :)

Bryce.

beaker

lol yeah, there's hardly any retro game shops I know of. Gamestop normally has a small selection of PS2 games but they tend to be all FIFA and Singstar. They had a sale on a couple of Summers back (at least at the Cresent in Limerick) where they sold a load of new Xbox games (and PS2 if I remember right) for €2 to clear stock. There was a retro game store in Cork but you're a year too late as it closed down but they didn't have anything Amstrad related. Directors Cut also in Cork did have some GBA games last Christmas where I picked up Scourge for a few Euros. Other than ebay and adverts.ie or similar, car boots and charity shops are your best bet over here but pickings are slim  :)

beaker

There you go, pictures of some retro games in South West Ireland  :D

jbaudrand

Nice collection!

:) so you don't have flea market. It's very popular in France, Each Sunday you have a village tthat make this. If you wake up early and be lucky you could find good game...

beaker

Thanks  :)

We have a few indoor markets. The nearest to me is in Newcastle West which is held once a month in the village hall (in the picture stolen from the internet). I've only bought a couple of PS2 games from there.

[attach=2]

There's supposed to be one in Tralee every Sunday that I'll have to try and get to but no idea how big it is. How does it compare to your flea markets?

jbaudrand

the pic you post correspond to a small flea market, here in Burgundy , during summer, you can make 2 to 4 villages with 50-70 sellers per sunday. the most big here is la grange rouge
if the weather is good, you can expect more than 250 sellers from private to professionals.

we have a website that refears all flea market per region
vide-greniers, brocantes et marchés aux puces

but honestly, the chance to get a retro game is lower if you follow this website, because all the vulturs read it... if you know a village that make a flea market and is not refered on the site, you can bet on finding  retro game. but you must wake up early...
:)

MacDeath

Yeah nice collection, I like the fact you have both 6128 models existing, the CPC and the PLUS... thus you are well equipped to actually play on them.

Perhaps a good point with Eireland is that it is sort of a small country (island) so it must be easier for you to travel a bit to find interesting stuffs...

In france, it can be a pain in the arse to get something that is sold on the other side of the country, also more mountains and so on.

Thx god we have many Amstrad products available everywhere...anyway. :D

Also that's a nice floppy emulator you have on this CPC6128...

beaker

Thanks, some places aren't too bad to get to these days; there's still a fair number of country lanes with grass growing down the middle of the road and Irish driving skills/road sense is atrocious (I'm sure most people are still driving alone on provisional licenses which was the norm a few years ago). On the plus side you can get to Dublin on the other side of the country in a couple of hours by car or under an hour flying.