Author Topic: Oldschool Gamer / Coder  (Read 942 times)

Offline Vince

• Supporter
  • CPC664
  • Bubble Bobble is the greatest !
  • Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 64
Oldschool Gamer / Coder
« on: 18:19, 20 June 20 »
Hey everyone!

I'm Vince. I am 41 and I have a love for all things retro gaming. I've been coding games since I was a kid and continue to do so. I'm working on getting some of my old games ready for physical release on tape.

My first loves are C64 and Amiga, but I have love for all good machines.

I grew up in the UK, had one friend who had a CPC.

I remember going round and playing some really good games I had not played.
It made me think that maybe the Amstrad could do far more than the crappy
Speccy ports in small box windows I had seen.

I recently saw a wonderful new racing game video posted on Lemon64 and I
could not believe it was real (CPC). It was gorgeous!

I later spoke to a friend, who really would know and he told me not only
was the guy behind it credible but also that it was real.

Fair play. C64 has some awful racing games but it also has some wondeful
ones too!

Anyway, I am hoping at some point to convert (not port!) some of my games
to the CPC.

I had a GX4000 at one point but sadly mum could not get hold of any games
for it.

Anyway be lucky people stay safe and keep on keeping on!
« Last Edit: 19:38, 20 June 20 by Vince »
Same handle on 'Lemon Amiga','Lemon 64', 'Everything 64' and ∞ Vince ∞ on 'Atari Age.

Offline SkulleateR

• CPC6128
  • Liked: 114
  • Likes Given: 67
Re: Oldschool Gamer / Coder
« Reply #1 on: 19:01, 20 June 20 »
Nice story  8)

Welcome and have fun here ....  ;D

Offline Vince

• Supporter
  • CPC664
« Reply #2 on: 19:35, 20 June 20 »
Nice story  8)

Welcome and have fun here ....  ;D

Cheers SkulleateR. What a delightful username!  :D . I also came here because someone ('Techboy') has been bad-mouthing me. Needless to say, I take everything with a pinch of salt.
Same handle on 'Lemon Amiga','Lemon 64', 'Everything 64' and ∞ Vince ∞ on 'Atari Age.

Offline mr_lou

• 6128 Plus
    • index.php?action=treasury
    • 8-bit Memoirs - a Blu-ray diskmag-like eBook about the 8-bit era
  • Liked: 1219
  • Likes Given: 2443
« Reply #3 on: 07:28, 21 June 20 »
Welcome!  :)

Offline trocoloco

• Supporter
  • CPC664
  • Liked: 58
  • Likes Given: 468
« Reply #4 on: 08:42, 21 June 20 »
Welcome  :)

Offline Axelay

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #5 on: 13:57, 21 June 20 »

Welcome, and good luck with the conversions.  :)

On the subject of that racing game video on lemon, I had read that discussion, and I guess you are probably the same Vince there that had mentioned never having seen a CPC racing game not in a small window apart from Burnin' Rubber?  Not that I regard that as a CPC game anyway.  I didn't really want to wade in to a possible format war type argument there, but if that was you, you might be interested to take a look at a couple of earlier CPC racing games:

3D Grand Prix
Super Cycle

They're obviously early and simple, but do what they set out to way better than Outrun with a 'full' standard screen size.

Offline Vince

• Supporter
  • CPC664
« Reply #6 on: 09:39, 23 June 20 »
Welcome, and good luck with the conversions.  :)

Thanks mate!

On the subject of that racing game video on lemon, I had read that discussion, and I guess you are probably the same Vince there that had mentioned never having seen a CPC racing game not in a small window apart from Burnin' Rubber?

Hi Axelay, as you can see from my sig, that is me, yes.

Not that I regard that as a CPC game anyway.

No, true. It is a GX4000 title. I had it. I really enjoyed it. I so wish there had been more games, then I might have got to play the machine rather than it being put up on the top of the wardrobe.

I should have put 'never seen an Amstrad racing game not in a small window'.

I didn't really want to wade in to a possible format war type argument there, but if that was you, you might be interested to take a look at a couple of earlier CPC racing games:

3D Grand Prix
Super Cycle

They're obviously early and simple, but do what they set out to way better than Outrun with a 'full' standard screen size.

Me neither. Sometimes I am up for the system vs system debate, mostly not, but, overall I think we all know who wins.
;D

Yes. My knowledge of Amstrad racing games is far from complete. I know of a lot of the poor conversions- the poor cousin, quick and nasty Speccy ports. I remember seeing them at the same time as we compared our games at school and I read a lot of the multi format magazines and stuff.

These were mainly mid-late 80s Coin Op conversions.
---
Since I have been here, which is only a couple of days, I have began to really see the true potential of the system.
---
That video is possibly of a the game running on the plus range? I may be wrong ?

Either way, the Amstrad series of computers were very much short changed and I fully acknowledge that!

I absolutely adore the c64 (and it is my favourite possibly even more than the Amiga), but I think I would enjoy, very much, learning all about the machines in the process of converting (not porting) my own games from the ground up.
---
I would also like to think that, one of my personal personality plus points is that I can and openly do admit when I am wrong. A friend of mine, a very knowledgeable, technically outstanding guy has confirmed to me that the footage of that game is genuine and I take my hat off to someone who has such skills!

As I also said over on the L64 discussion.

---
I'll take a good look at those games, though, I don't think you can compare them to things like Turbocharge Outrun Europa and things as the style is somewhat different.
« Last Edit: 09:45, 23 June 20 by Vince »

Offline Axelay

• 6128 Plus
« Reply #7 on: 18:07, 24 June 20 »

Hi Axelay, as you can see from my sig, that is me, yes.

Ah, sorry I didn't see it.   ::)   I often check the forum on my phone and just checking it now I realise for some reason it shows the sig font invisibly small.

That video is possibly of a the game running on the plus range? I may be wrong ?
I can't be sure because I've only watched the video once, it's so far off and I don't care much for 'long term hype'.  But from the colours it was looking like CPC palette, and it referred to CPC in the trailer so I'd assume it's not Plus.

Either way, the Amstrad series of computers were very much short changed and I fully acknowledge that!

I absolutely adore the c64 (and it is my favourite possibly even more than the Amiga), but I think I would enjoy, very much, learning all about the machines in the process of converting (not porting) my own games from the ground up.
I had fun learning the C64 for my Relentless conversion just last year, about the only thing I found annoying was I could never get straight in my head that carry flag implementation.  :laugh: 

---
I would also like to think that, one of my personal personality plus points is that I can and openly do admit when I am wrong. A friend of mine, a very knowledgeable, technically outstanding guy has confirmed to me that the footage of that game is genuine and I take my hat off to someone who has such skills!

As I also said over on the L64 discussion.

---
I'll take a good look at those games, though, I don't think you can compare them to things like Turbocharge Outrun Europa and things as the style is somewhat different.
True enough.  I know they aren't particularly comparable, I just didn't like the idea someone might think that CPC racing was wall to wall Cisco Heat's is all.  :D

Offline Vince

• Supporter
  • CPC664
« Reply #8 on: 20:16, 24 June 20 »

I've only watched the video once, it's so far off and I don't care much for 'long term hype'.  But from the colours it was looking like CPC palette, and it referred to CPC in the trailer so I'd assume it's not Plus.
Hmmm. Someone mentioned it might be a cart, so... I didn't think a standard machine had a cart slot, am I wrong ?

I had fun learning the C64 for my Relentless conversion just last year, about the only thing I found annoying was I could never get straight in my head that carry flag implementation.  :laugh:
Great!  ha. The only thing that really gets me . drives me crazy is, I can't work with the colour restrictions else I'd be knocking up my own graphics (well coder-y ones).

True enough.  I know they aren't particularly comparable, I just didn't like the idea someone might think that CPC racing was wall to wall Cisco Heat's is all.  :D
Ha! Don't get me started. We got a 'great' Cisco Heat  :picard: as well! Worst racer on the 64? Arguably Chase HQ. I think they spent all the money down the pub and knocked it up over a weekend.

Just look at SCI and see the contrast!

Offline Axelay

• 6128 Plus
« Reply #9 on: 16:57, 25 June 20 »
Hmmm. Someone mentioned it might be a cart, so... I didn't think a standard machine had a cart slot, am I wrong ?
No 'cart' slot, but it has an expansion port to which you can add RAM & ROM expansions.  Back in the day this included a 'rombox' which had sockets for inserting software bought on ROM chips, only productivity type software because of the cost as far as I'm aware.  In recent years there has been a game release or two on ROM expansions that are effectively 'like carts', and there's been discussion of an expansion with an actual cart slot in it so there's no swapping expansions around to change games, but I'm not sure if that's an actual thing yet.

Great!  ha. The only thing that really gets me . drives me crazy is, I can't work with the colour restrictions else I'd be knocking up my own graphics (well coder-y ones).
Ha, yeah, the colour restrictions in multicolour character mode were more restrictive than I had understood before starting to work on the game, but fortunately I had rexbeng doing the graphics so for the most part it wasn't 'my problem' to deal with.  :)

Offline Vince

• Supporter
  • CPC664
« Reply #10 on: 17:07, 25 June 20 »
No 'cart' slot, but it has an expansion port to which you can add RAM & ROM expansions.  Back in the day this included a 'rombox' which had sockets for inserting software bought on ROM chips, only productivity type software because of the cost as far as I'm aware.
I think I've got you, like plug and play roms. Clever stuff!

In recent years there has been a game release or two on ROM expansions that are effectively 'like carts', and there's been discussion of an expansion with an actual cart slot in it so there's no swapping expansions around to change games, but I'm not sure if that's an actual thing yet.

Well it sounds very 'do-able'. Now that is a worthwhile New peripheral.

Ha, yeah, the colour restrictions in multicolour character mode were more restrictive than I had understood before starting to work on the game, but fortunately I had rexbeng doing the graphics so for the most part it wasn't 'my problem' to deal with.  :)

Nice one ! I've not played it, I'll have to check it out!

Does the CPC range have a Tapuino? Tape emulator? They are brilliant, but as a dyslexic I really hate the name I am always spelling it wrong.

Offline Axelay

• 6128 Plus
« Reply #11 on: 08:20, 27 June 20 »
Nice one ! I've not played it, I'll have to check it out!

As a scrolling shooter it was always entering a pretty crowded genre on the C64, but it was the most straight forward game of my previous CPC projects to try and convert because both versions were meant to fit in a 16kb cart/ROM.  I like to think it turned out pretty well for a 'my first C64 learning project' type of game, if nothing else.

[/size]

Does the CPC range have a Tapuino? Tape emulator? They are brilliant, but as a dyslexic I really hate the name I am always spelling it wrong.
I'm not aware of anything Tapuino like on the CPC, but I can't claim to be up to date on all the hardware projects these days, there seems to be so many getting made or discussed.  I have just used a cassette tape adaptor with an old notebook playing tape files converted to waves on my 464 in the past.  I think more recently I've seen people talk about using their phones to play Mp3 files of tape images in a similar way.

Offline reidrac

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • Trying to gamedev!
    • usebox.net
  • Liked: 1436
  • Likes Given: 819
« Reply #12 on: 11:25, 27 June 20 »
The "DES" (the cart system for the CPC) seems quite advanced:

https://auamstrad.es/des/

(I couldn't find a web in English, you may want to try with Google Translator)

I like the idea, probably better than the plain Dandanator (cart that goes into the expansion). IIRC with the DES they want preserve the idea of a physical medium that allows for nice physical releases, and also provide some extras.

The downside: you need the expansion (DES), and then the games (that I think are cheaper than the Dandanator itself). This requires an investment by the users, and when a game is released for this system, you know what you'll have as many players as DES units are out there.

IMHO I see the future more digital (e.g. SD card) + M4. Because you can play anything with the M4 (get the DSK and you're set), and you can get a box with a manual and "feelies" with an SD that you can use in both emulators and a real CPC. I guess it would be like a game for the Nintendo Switch.

3" disks are rare, and I guess cassettes will have a similar fate eventually.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel and Kitsune`s Curse for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

Offline Vince

• Supporter
  • CPC664
« Reply #13 on: 20:20, 29 June 20 »

I like it, it looks nice. Looks like the controls are smooth.
Some original movement patterns for baddies. Stage 2's graphics have a nice style.
But... You might want a second go at the scrolling. The 64 can do super smooth scrolling.

Offline Axelay

• 6128 Plus
« Reply #14 on: 15:16, 30 June 20 »
I like it, it looks nice. Looks like the controls are smooth.
Some original movement patterns for baddies. Stage 2's graphics have a nice style.
But... You might want a second go at the scrolling. The 64 can do super smooth scrolling.

Thanks.  What was the issue you were seeing with the scrolling though?  I wasn't able to test it on real hardware, but someone who tested it for me didn't report any issues.  Only way I could try it on my TV was with the C64 mini and that looked fine too.  I saw 'jitters' in the scroll under emulation on my PC and in youtube videos, but that was I think just 50fps on 60hz refresh rates.  Was that what you meant or something else?

Offline Vince

• Supporter
  • CPC664
« Reply #15 on: 20:37, 30 June 20 »

Thanks.  What was the issue you were seeing with the scrolling though?  I wasn't able to test it on real hardware, but someone who tested it for me didn't report any issues.  Only way I could try it on my TV was with the C64 mini and that looked fine too.  I saw 'jitters' in the scroll under emulation on my PC and in youtube videos, but that was I think just 50fps on 60hz refresh rates.  Was that what you meant or something else?

Ok, on youtube video it looks *very jittery. Like your not using the native hardware scroll of the 64. Do you have a link to a download, and I'll try it myself?

Offline Axelay

• 6128 Plus
« Reply #16 on: 11:47, 01 July 20 »

Ok, on youtube video it looks *very jittery. Like your not using the native hardware scroll of the 64. Do you have a link to a download, and I'll try it myself?

Sure, it is available on itch.io here.

Offline mr_lou

• 6128 Plus
    • 8-bit Memoirs - a Blu-ray diskmag-like eBook about the 8-bit era
  • Liked: 1219
  • Likes Given: 2443
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 08:38 »
I saw 'jitters' in the scroll under emulation on my PC and in youtube videos, but that was I think just 50fps on 60hz refresh rates.  Was that what you meant or something else?

This is something I mention more than most here, as far as I've seen.
All these YouTube vids described as "50 fps" - just doesn't help when the PC monitor is a 60hz one, which it is 99% of the time. So YouTube vids generally give a rather poor representation of the european retro computers' abilities. Same goes for local playback of a 50 fps mp4 file. Your monitor is still 60 hz.

Only the real hardware can be trusted. And alternatively blu-ray, because blu-ray players literally changes the refresh rate of the display to match the videos. But only if played on a real blu-ray player. Playing the ISO with VLC for example, again gives the 50 fps vs 60 hz problem.

Just another reason for choosing blu-ray as a diskmag platform.  ;)