News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

scanning documents

Started by arnoldemu, 21:45, 08 April 10

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

I have just scanned Maplin Project Book 20.

The pages are quite thin, so on each scan you can see a "shadow" of the other side of the page.
Is there a way to reduce this? Would putting white paper do it or maybe something dark?

The scans are 300dpi, greyscale btw and will be uploaded soon.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

It's a matter of contrast. Lots of DPIs won't help much, but if you do scan it in B&W instead of colour and up the contrast it'll be better... (ah I see you already did it in greyscale...).

Putting a white page behind the one you can will most probably help, in that it will increase the contrast. So you can try that in combination with your scanning settings as well.

arnoldemu

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:47, 09 April 10
It's a matter of contrast. Lots of DPIs won't help much, but if you do scan it in B&W instead of colour and up the contrast it'll be better... (ah I see you already did it in greyscale...).

Putting a white page behind the one you can will most probably help, in that it will increase the contrast. So you can try that in combination with your scanning settings as well.
I did try the white page and it made little difference.
I've scanned the other project book now (19).
I think I can process them after to adjust the contrast - I'll keep the originals though.
I also need to rotate some of them because I didn't put them all in the same way around.
My games. My Games

Gryzor

Well, given that the adjustments that you specify for your scanner work post-scan through software it'd be just as good to have raw files and work on them yourself... if you can post a sample I'll see if I can help!

robcfg

White page? I think a black one will do better to mask the background.

Anyway, I usually scan the pages in color and then I use photoshop to convert them to black and white. That usually removes any undesired background text.

You can also play with contrast values before converting from color to b&w.

Hope this helps.

arnoldemu

Quote from: robcfg on 12:09, 09 April 10
White page? I think a black one will do better to mask the background.

Anyway, I usually scan the pages in color and then I use photoshop to convert them to black and white. That usually removes any undesired background text.

You can also play with contrast values before converting from color to b&w.

Hope this helps.
I did think about black, but with the pages being thin I thought it would cause the side I wanted to be too dark or give it a bad result.
I didn't try it.
My games. My Games