News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Firmware and Languages

Started by Neurox66, Yesterday at 18:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Neurox66

About the firmware, I have a curiosity.
But I'll give a little background, my first computer was a ZX-Spectrum followed by an Amstrad CPC 464.
Then I switched to PC with an Amstrad PC 1640, but my passion for 8 bits led me to be persuaded by my trusted salesman to buy a CPC 6128Plus in 1990.
Although in Italy my CPC 6128 Plus had the cartridge with the firmware in English, my curiosity is...did a firmware in Italian ever exist?

P.S.
The same salesman convinced me in 1992 to buy, at a bargain price, a Sam Coupe  ;D
CPC 464+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive - 
CPC 6128+ with Nova, FlashGordon,AmsDap, SymbiFace III -
CPC 6128 with M4 ... and other Amstrad computers

andycadley

I'm not sure the firmware was ever really translated. There were some jumpers for the manufacturer and I guess there was some change for keyboard layouts?

There isn't really much "language" support there though, really. You wouldn't want the actual BASIC commands changed, because it would break software.

McArti0

CPC 6128, Whole 6128 and Only 6128, with .....
NewPAL v3 for use all 128kB RAM by CRTC as VRAM
TYPICAL :) TV Funai 22FL532/10 with VGA-RGB-in.

eto

Quote from: andycadley on Yesterday at 18:55There were some jumpers for the manufacturer and I guess there was some change for keyboard layouts?
In the Plus there are no jumpers. 

Depending on the cartridge ROM, the Plus behaves as a French, Spanish or English version. 

Neurox66

Quote from: eto on Yesterday at 19:54
Quote from: andycadley on Yesterday at 18:55There were some jumpers for the manufacturer and I guess there was some change for keyboard layouts?
In the Plus there are no jumpers.

Depending on the cartridge ROM, the Plus behaves as a French, Spanish or English version.

Yes. 
In fact, that's just how it is. The cartridge contains the language version of the operating system and also the keyboard mapping. I have three cartridges (collected over the years) in English, French and Spanish. To differentiate themselves they have labels of different colors.
CPC 464+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive - 
CPC 6128+ with Nova, FlashGordon,AmsDap, SymbiFace III -
CPC 6128 with M4 ... and other Amstrad computers

ZorrO

CPC+PSX 4ever