The Z80's secret feature discovered after 40 years!

Started by ComSoft6128, 18:55, 03 November 22

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

Mmm...

From Andy Hu's YT description:

"Edit: this video is the third release! I managed to iron out all problems in the second one, which includes:
1, CRT noise everywhere
2, intro video footages are not muted (you can hear computer noise over the music)
3, 0:55 the (absolutely terrible) B-roll is not muted (You can hear me watching a video about the Mindset computer in the background... I thought it was fine since I could just mute that, obviously I did not...)
4, 1:56 my voice is strangely 'doubled' making me sound like the Borg Queen (this does not happen at all when I'm editing the video! In my editing software the two vioces just overlap entirely and become louder)
5, 2:13 that B-roll (and the horrible CRT noise) is not muted
6, 2:45 a weird 'ding' caused by speeding up the video to hide a long blank
7, music is still too loud, but my editing machine probably have a voice enhance feature enabled somewhere too. This problem is much less pronounced on it (and maybe some other computers but probably not all).

Chapters:
0:00 The Z80 has a protected mode
0:32 Literally the worst intro video ever
0:52 What is Z80
1:52 Why is protected mode important?
3:10 Undocumented? Really?
4:10 How to implement protected mode
10:34 Final Conclusion
12:10 Clickbait?
12:54 Applications of the protected mode
14:27 An interesting story"

GUNHED

Using a PlayCity and the SF2 ROM banking this all can be done already on CPC.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Animalgril987

I saw this video on YouTube. It's pure clickbait. The Z80 doesn't and never did have a "protected" mode. The video does show how you can add some hardware and write an OS, so that a kind of protected mode can be simulated. But, without bank switching, you can only address 64k, so why bother?

Prodatron

Quote from: Animalgril987 on 15:54, 09 November 22It's pure clickbait.
Yes, and he had good luck. Usually his videos have around 1000 clicks or less. This one now has more than half a million...

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

TotO

He does the buzz only with a catchy title. Add some boobs and it will reach a million.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

BSC

Quote from: Animalgril987 on 15:54, 09 November 22I saw this video on YouTube. It's pure clickbait. The Z80 doesn't and never did have a "protected" mode. The video does show how you can add some hardware and write an OS, so that a kind of protected mode can be simulated. But, without bank switching, you can only address 64k, so why bother?
What a douchebag  :picard:
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

Animalgril987

Quote from: TotO on 18:04, 09 November 22He does the buzz only with a catchy title. Add some boobs and it will reach a million.
So, that's how I should get a million views!😂😂😂😂

Prodatron

Quote from: TotO on 18:04, 09 November 22Add some boobs and it will reach a million.
It's not that easy :D As soon as you add too much boobs (already a little bit could be enough) to your thumbnail they will cancel advertisement...
And without ads Youtube isn't motivated to make your video popular.

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Animalgril987

GUNHED

http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Bryce

Quote from: TotO on 18:04, 09 November 22He does the buzz only with a catchy title. Add some boobs and it will reach a million.
I was about the watch the video, but now I'm going to wait until the boobs are added!

Bryce.