News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

WACCI issues

Started by Gryzor, 11:51, 19 April 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Clive Bellaby

I have a set of WACCI magazines from issue 1 onwards, it should be a full set, there may be one or two of the final issues missing. These can be delivered locally (East Midlands Area, England) or posted to an agreed location if it will help. I have no problem with any of the articles I wrote, or any of the magazines I produced being copied to, and distributed by an electronic format (or similar) for distribution to CPC enthusiasts. The only restriction, is as usual, these should not be used by commercial, for profit use.

There should be a complete set of the public domain software somewhere, there is probably a reference to it in one of the magazines. This software was, and still is public domain, and again it can be distributed freely, but not for profit.

I may be able to get some of the magazines transferred to electronic format, with a selection from PDF, TIFF, JPEG or XPS.

It would be nice to be able to remove the spelling, punctuation and context errors at the same time, but even with todays technology this is not practical.

I miss the early computers, they were fun, slow and clumsy, but who cares, they were fun.

"Uncle" Clive (Bellaby)

CraigsBar

OK. I have to following issues..

88, 110, 127, 128, 133, 134, 135, 137 and 138
Is anyone keeping a masterlist of those that are missing? It looks like I may need to scan only a couple.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Gryzor

Quote from: Clive Bellaby on 14:34, 04 May 16
I have a set of WACCI magazines from issue 1 onwards, it should be a full set, there may be one or two of the final issues missing. These can be delivered locally (East Midlands Area, England) or posted to an agreed location if it will help. I have no problem with any of the articles I wrote, or any of the magazines I produced being copied to, and distributed by an electronic format (or similar) for distribution to CPC enthusiasts. The only restriction, is as usual, these should not be used by commercial, for profit use.

There should be a complete set of the public domain software somewhere, there is probably a reference to it in one of the magazines. This software was, and still is public domain, and again it can be distributed freely, but not for profit.

I may be able to get some of the magazines transferred to electronic format, with a selection from PDF, TIFF, JPEG or XPS.

It would be nice to be able to remove the spelling, punctuation and context errors at the same time, but even with todays technology this is not practical.

I miss the early computers, they were fun, slow and clumsy, but who cares, they were fun.

"Uncle" Clive (Bellaby)

This is just superb indeed... thanks so much, Clive, for posting here!

Unfortunately I'm nowhere near Midlands,I'm in Greece, so postage to and fro would be rather hefty, but I think it's worth it...

Also, thanks for your permission, too :) It's amazing that you have all of them issues (though not all of them are needed). If you could register for an account here so I can contact you or if you could send me a message to: [attachimg=1] it'd be great. It'll be a long and slow job, but I'm confident I can make it...

Regarding spelling errors, I don't really think it'd be that nice. Original material should not be touched, if you ask me :) OCRing it is another thing, and yes, it'd be nice, but can also be done at a second stage.

When you say you can transfer them to electronic format, how do you mean it? Use the original files or scan them?

Thanks again for taking the time to post!

@Craigsbar : I'll make such a list :)

Peter Ceresole

Okay, I've had a rummage.
I have the following WACCIs.

Thy're not in order- sorry. But they're all here.
I really don't have the energy to scan them all and post them, but the physical copies are here and anybody who would like to collect them in South East London (SE220LN) is welcome to them.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Gryzor on 18:08, 07 May 16

This is just superb indeed... thanks so much, Clive, for posting here!

Unfortunately I'm nowhere near Midlands,I'm in Greece, so postage to and fro would be rather hefty, but I think it's worth it...

Also, thanks for your permission, too :) It's amazing that you have all of them issues (though not all of them are needed). If you could register for an account here so I can contact you or if you could send me a message to: [attachimg=1] it'd be great. It'll be a long and slow job, but I'm confident I can make it...

Regarding spelling errors, I don't really think it'd be that nice. Original material should not be touched, if you ask me :) OCRing it is another thing, and yes, it'd be nice, but can also be done at a second stage.

When you say you can transfer them to electronic format, how do you mean it? Use the original files or scan them?

Thanks again for taking the time to post!

@Craigsbar : I'll make such a list :)

2 awesome posts. :) Let me know which you need scanning of those few I have and the'll e donated to the cause. I am a but closer to you Clive (Ireland) but still not exaclt local. :)

Craig
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Cpcmaniaco

I have from 30 to the last issue.

Gryzor

@Peter: Thanks for getting on board :) I will reply to your email separately, for now I just wanted to ask, which issue is actually "303"? I'm compiling a list of known existing issues, you see...

@Cpcmaniaco : sweeeeeet!!!! So that's #30-140?

I'm uploading the list I'm making in a few minutes!

Gryzor

Ok, I've uploaded the list. Suddenly things are looking much rosier.

Now we have to find who's willing to do some scanning. I can do it all myself, as I said before, but we should at least know and coordinate it - if someone has some and is willing to scan them, or lives near someone who has them and can do it, and so on.

Zoe Robinson

I'll scan the two I mentioned earlier some time today and upload to Dropbox. I'll post a link when they are ready.

Gryzor

Thanks, Zoe!

Erm, I forgot to post the link: WACCI issues.xlsx - Google Sheets

Zoe Robinson

I've scanned issue 127 and it's available to download by clicking here.

Please note that it is in zipped JPG format, as I've not had time to compile it into a PDF. Some of the pages are also not the best scans ever, and I've not had time to re-scan them.

Gryzor

They're generally very good; some are a bit faint but you can read them just fine. Some are tilted but I think all text is visible. Is the cover really page 2?

Thanks, Zoe, much appreciated!!

I've updated the list to reflect it as scanned :)

Zoe Robinson

No, apparently the scans aren't ordered in the usual number order - something has gone weird with the scanner.

Gryzor

Huh, got a mind of its own? :D

Zoe Robinson

Who knows. Could be something to do with having scanned these in 3 parts.

ivarf

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:28, 03 May 16
@remax : well, it's possible to output/print to a file, I'm sure you can manipulate it to create a PDF afterwards; that's why I was asking...

Everyone who, for SOME reason can't be bothered to wait 30 seconds to download a file or can't click a button:  . Going to delete it soon.

The 30 second delayed download didn't work for me either using Android with Firefox. These downloads usually works well from a PC, I didn't have access to nthat this time. Your new wacci cpcwiki link worked fine. Thank you

CPC_Fan

Wow - I never expected that we would hear from the great "Uncle Clive" Bellaby. It's great to hear from you and I for one really appreciate your offer of making available all the WACCI issues that you have. Would be interesting and good to know where all the former WACCI PD library is and if indeed it does still exist? Any ideas? Also great to hear from Peter Ceresole as well, especially with the number of issues that he has.

As I have said before, I am more than willing to help out with the scanning if needed. I could possibly pick up the issues that Peter has and scan them, as my parents live in Essex, not too far from London, so I could probably arrange to tie in getting them with a visit to them as well. I would pick Clive's issues up as well, but the East Midlands area is probably a bit far from me in Kent to do that  :(  Alternatively maybe Clive would be willing to post them out to me, for me to copy, if we can come to some sort of arrangement on the postage?

robcfg

I think this is the kind of situation where the help from the members of the CPCWiki is required.

I'll be willing to contribute to the postage costs so you can get the issues and scan them.

CPC_Fan

That's a very kind off robcfg.

Gryzor

Indeed it is. It's getting a bit complicated with multiple sources and multiple scanners, but we'll get there :) Should we start a donation effort for the shipping costs now, or after the fact?

CPC_Fan

I'm sure that we will get there Gryzor. In fact personally I think that this is too important a project not to get there really. Maybe we should wait until I can arrange something with Clive to sort out the postage, before we go ahead with a donation effort. Have you got Clive's and Peter's email address by the way?

Gryzor

Yes, I got them both, but if you want to contact them I'd better ask them before giving them out... :)

CPC_Fan

No worries.  Yes it would probably be best to ask their permission to give me their email addresses. You could always pm them to me if they agree to it and don't want them put on a public forum.

I did have the pleasure of meeting Clive once. I don't know if he would remember me or not though.

Gryzor

Ah my mistake, I don't have Clive's address. I do have *an* address but he didn't reply to me, instead posting here, so maybe he saw the link elsewhere. But I emailed Peter and asked him for you.

By the way: another member here alerted me to the presence of more issues online, some 13 of them! Will check them out and update the list...

Zoe Robinson

I've updated the link for WACCI 127 and now all the pages are in the correct order: WACCI #127.

In addition, here is a zip of the JPG scans for issue 52: WACCI #52.

The scans for #127 still aren't perfect because I've just not had time to re-scan the skewed pages but I'll do that when I get a minute.

Also, I found this earlier - is this the 13 scanned issues you mentioned, @Gryzor?