News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

WACCI issues

Started by Gryzor, 11:51, 19 April 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Hello @SevenT , @Tigger ,

So nice to have you here guys! It's such an honour :)

So sad to hear about Paul and his wife - never knew him, but whenever you hear something of the sort...

No problem whatsoever repeating it here, Steve, god knows I still have a ton to read from you :)

Thanks so much for the heads-up. All this makes little sense because:

-who would care for "competition" and copyrights at this point
-that's why we're asking around anywhere, if anyone has any objections all they have to do is step forward and say so
-making invalid claims isn't going to get one far.

Now, if people with a valid interest did have objections then sure, that's why we're trying to tie this up in a nice little bow, we'd try to respect their wishes. I don't want to say "bring it on, see what you can do with servers outside Europe" etc or that "haaaa-ha, see if we care " (Beau-Jolly, anyone? Remember that time?), and I won't, because the reason we're in the scene now is people like you made the scene back then, and I respect everyone involved. But let's not get silly...

But, in any event, thanks so much for coming here and letting us know, the info you're providing is really valuable, so I'm grateful.

T

Gryzor

Quote from: SevenT on 10:18, 20 May 16
Oh nay nay and thrice nay Craig. Do not touch a hair upon any of my babies heads... they need to be viewed as they were originally sent out
SevenT   (STeven)

I think in that context 'correcting' had to do with OCR errors rather than correcting the texts themselves, something that I'm strongly against and said so earlier in the thread. Don't worry about that :)

CraigsBar

Quote from: SevenT on 10:18, 20 May 16
Oh nay nay and thrice nay Craig. Do not touch a hair upon any of my babies heads... they need to be viewed as they were originally sent out - warts, snotty noses and all. Part of the joy of reading WACCI was trying to spot the fluffs, boobs and goofs (or is it "gooves?) If you start to go around correcting, remixing and "air-brushing" the original magazines you'll remove some of the deeply deep joy you can get from reading them and going "I wonder how they did that effect back in the days before DTP???"

I am serious here... just scan them and post them up here as they were originally sent out in the Royal Mail - otherwise you'll just end up with a mess like McCartney did when he buggered around with the original Master Tapes of the "Let It Be" LP! Please don't try putting lipstick on a pig - even if it is your absolute favorite cutest Vietnamese pot-belly pig called Pretty Pink Pigella.... even the cutest pigs who get dressed in spandex, shades, a cool fedora and a tutu just end up looking ridiculous potential ingredients for a damn good bacon sandwich.

Don't go all George Lucas like on a deeply misguided Star Wars type trip - everyone actually wants to see the first print of Star Wars that came out in 1977 not the 120th "improvement" he churned out last week. So no OCRing, no spell-checking, no reformatting, no substituting Hi-res pics for the older chunky ones, no airbrushing over the reality - the great CPC unwashed need to be able to see the real article that WACCI subscribers paid good wonga to receive through their letterbox every month.

If the scan is of a page that has a crease in it... that's how the readers read it back in the day. Leave it in or scan a copy that doesn't have a crease.

Seriously I gave my permission to create an archive of WACCIs not a representation of what they could have been had they been produced in 2016. You may as well go and OCR the Gutenberg Bible or add an outboard motor to the Cutty Sark. Don't go re-editing my original editing work.

SevenT   (STeven)
I am not suggesting correcting or changing the layout at all. Just making the text content a searchable PDF like the AA digital versions are. They still look and feel like AA, including the famous blank spaces where titles should be and the "Which Wrod Processor" headline, but the text can be searched easily with acrobat reader ;)

Edit: by checking the text is right, I did not mean corrections, I meant making sure the digital version matched exactly the printed version, warts and all.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

arnoldemu

@SevenT: Thank you Steven for your permission. Great news! :)

@Gryzor and others: Thank you for seeking permission :) It did take a bit of time but it's well worth it :)

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

andycadley

To be absolutely clear, it's far more likely that I'm confusing details or just flat out wrong so I wouldn't want anyone's reputation to be tarnished based on things I might possibly remember. Senility on my part is almost certainly a better explanation!

That out of the way, it's great to see permission granted to preserve what was undoubtedly a great resource for the CPC.

CPC_Fan

Quote from: Tigger on 02:36, 20 May 16
I regret to inform that Paul Dwerryhouse and his wife Lesley died a few years ago

Philip DiRichleau

Hi Philip. That is so sad to hear about Paul and his wife Lesley. I did write some articles for Paul when he was editor of WACCI and was in contact with him on and off during that time. Unfortunately I lost contact with him with he gave up the editorship and didn't know that he had passed away.

Anyway thank you for your permission as well.

CPC_Fan

Quote from: SevenT on 08:37, 20 May 16
Hi folks

Glad to see that so many of the original WACCI crew are still alive and kicking... and most importantly - on here!      Hi y'all.

There seems to be a little consternation going around about the legality of the archiving of electronically copied issues of WACCI. Just to set the record straight here is a copy of an email I have just sent to Gryzor (and I hope he doesn't mind me taking the liberty of posting it here before asking him - but I'm sure he'll forgive me.)

I just got off the phone after chatting with Philip DiRichleau and I was a) glad that you and he are in contact now and b) a little bit concerned about what he had to tell me about possible copyright infringement threats made against you by a certain third party.

For the record... I bought the company "WACCI" and all the ensuing rights to it back in back in 1988 from, its then owner, Jeff Walker. I was the sole owner and I ran it as an ongoing business for my personal profit.  I still own the name WACCI, the intellectual rights and the format of the magazine - to this day it is still my property - I never relinquished my ownership of the company known as WACCI.

In 1991 I had had enough of producing the magazine and "passed on" the right to continue produce the magazine using the name WACCI and the WACCI format to the newly established "WACCI Club" which had been organized, chiefly, by Uncle Clive Bellaby and several other interested WACCI magazine subscribers. The agreement was that WACCI would be run on a "club" basis (an entity which was wholly separate from my WACCI business) and that no one member of the club would financially benefit from the magazine. The WACCI club was owned and run by its members and its constitution specifically stated that any profits made would be ploughed back in to the running of the club.

Phil pointed out to me that recently a certain person - somehow involved with the WACCI club back in the day - may have (erroneously) inferred that he might be unhappy with your plan to set up an "official" online archive of the WACCI magazine because it may disrupt his (illegal) sales of back-issues of the magazine. I can assure you that no one apart from myself has the legal right to object to your proposed project - not only do I endorse it wholeheartedly but I am deeply humbled to think that after all these years anyone would even consider undertaking such a Herculean task.

To this day I am still the sole owner of all intellectual rights to the WACCI name and magazine format. No one else can disapprove or threaten legal action against you, your site or any of its members for going ahead with scanning and putting ALL the available issues of WACCI you can obtain.

I am sure that if you ask any of the subsequent Editors of the magazine (who are still alive), Clive, Phil, John, Dave et al.  would echo my sentiments.

In short - no one else apart from myself has the legal right to object to your archiving project and what is worse, no one should be still selling back-issues of the magazine (for what is obviously personal financial gain) so long after the WACCI club was officially dissolved. As the legal owner of the WACCI magazine I am quite happy for you to put ALL of the issues online.

Should any questions about this matter arise in the future I suggest you direct the questioner straight to me and my lawyer will be more than happy to answer them in full.

Yours

Steve Williams RN............................................................                 (SevenT  aka  OMG).....................................................[/times]

Hi Steve. First of all, many thanks for replying to Gryzor's original email to you and for joining this forum and posting an official reply here. I for one certainly appreciate it.

Also thank you very much for giving us your permission to scan any copies of WACCI issues that we can find, so that we can create an archive of them on here. It is very gracious and kind of you and I am sure will be appreciated by many people.

My plan is to scan all the issues that I got from Peter Ceresol and any that I get from Clive Bellaby, in 200 x 200 pdf and then with Gryzor's help, create an archive of them on the Cpc wiki. Please note that these will be straight scans of the actual pages directly from the magazines and they will not be spell checked etc, so they will be exactly as they were published. I hope that this is ok with yourself and everyone else?

Mark

zeropolis79

I look forward to reading these..

Its good to see Mr Williams set the record straight, I recall reading conflicting reports in AA about WACCI's apparent demise.

ChaRleyTroniC

Heavens. OMG, Peter Creosote, Uncle Clive and PdR all in one thread.

All we need now is Saffron Trevaskis *cough* *splutter*

Richard F

Nich

Quote from: ChaRleyTroniC on 19:18, 23 May 16
Heavens. OMG, Peter Creosote, Uncle Clive and PdR all in one thread.

My goodness, Richard, long time no hear! I thought you'd stopped reading these forums years ago and moved on to other things. ;)

wronskian

Hi folks, I'm Sam/Wronskian from the csa8 days (I know Craig knows me, maybe not many others!) - the newsgroup, and the IRC channel for the years when that was still a thing!

I saw Craig's post over on csa8 and was about to offer to help Brian, as I only live a couple of miles from where he is (or at least was in 2014, which is the last reference I can find to him locally).
It sounds like you've got things resolved, though - and indeed may not want Brian to chip in now! So hopefully all sorted.
Best wishes to all, so glad to see the CPC scene strong in 2016! Who would have thought it?

Cheers,
Sam or Wronskian :-)

Gryzor

Oooh and another one! This is turning out to be the place to be for WACCI :D

Welcome Sam, so good to have you here :)

CPC_Fan

Welcome to the forum Sam. Yes I think that everything is resolved now. I think that Steve Williams confirmed everything that we needed to know in his couple of posts on here.

Just in case anybody was wondering, I am about to start the long process of scanning the issues that Peter Ceresole kindly lent to me. Will keep you all up to date with my progress as and when. I'm also hoping to get the missing issues that need scanning from Clive Bellaby, but I am waiting for him to confirm this.

By the way, does anyone know if John Bowley still lives in Peterborough? I wrote to him early last week, but I haven't had a reply yet.

CraigsBar

Quote from: wronskian on 00:08, 26 May 16
Hi folks, I'm Sam/Wronskian from the csa8 days (I know Craig knows me, maybe not many others!) - the newsgroup, and the IRC channel for the years when that was still a thing!

I saw Craig's post over on csa8 and was about to offer to help Brian, as I only live a couple of miles from where he is (or at least was in 2014, which is the last reference I can find to him locally).
It sounds like you've got things resolved, though - and indeed may not want Brian to chip in now! So hopefully all sorted.
Best wishes to all, so glad to see the CPC scene strong in 2016! Who would have thought it?

Cheers,
Sam or Wronskian :-)
Welcome Sam. Thanks ;) yeah I'm am amazed at what a 80's underdog home computer can be made to do in 2016 ;) and that many of us are still here ;)
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

CPC_Fan

Just a quick update. I am still working on scanning the almost full set of WACCI's that Clive Bellaby gave to me. So far I have scanned 8 issues. Unfortunately real life has got in the way a bit recently and progress has come to a halt. However I still intend to keep on scanning them. Hopefully I will be able to start the progress again shortly. Will update you all again when I have made some more progress.

Urusergi

Quote from: CPC_Fan on 13:48, 23 June 16
Just a quick update. I am still working on scanning the almost full set of WACCI's that Clive Bellaby gave to me. So far I have scanned 8 issues. Unfortunately real life has got in the way a bit recently and progress has come to a halt. However I still intend to keep on scanning them. Hopefully I will be able to start the progress again shortly. Will update you all again when I have made some more progress.
Do you need help with that?
It seems too much work for one person...

SevenT

Hi again flocks...

Has there been any progress on scanning those back issues of WACCI that the late Uncle Clive passed along to us? I didn't want to appear pushy but it has been two years or more now...

Obviously I am anxious to see the early years of the publication (if only to read Peter Campbell's numerous crazy contributions to FAIR COMMENT about JOOLZ!) and read my many editorials that were written under pressure from a last-minute deadline.

It would also be sweet to see those old WoLi  (WACCIonLine)   articles to see if there were any lessons that could be learnt from Viewdata/Prestel/ViewTex on 1200/75 modem British Telecom usage to modern day internet use.

A little bit of history salvaged from the dark ages before we had the joys of internet invasion into our personal lives and way before everybody walked around like Zombies hooked into their not-so-Smartphones!

P.S. Anyone know what happened to the criminally infamous Keith Rose (of Keith Rose 500/500 modems?)

kailokyra

Not related to the previously mentionned treasure stash, but I scanned several issues of Wacci that are now available on acpc.me (https://acpc.me/#ACME/FANZINES_PAPIER/[ENG]ENGLISH_(UK)/WACCI)

Scanning them is really easy and almost automatisable(?) when you have an A3 scanner with a top feeder and clip remover :) . Otherwise it's a pain.

A lot of them are missing thought. If some of you have more scans, please submit them there as well if possible :)

SevenT

Quote from: kailokyra on 06:20, 29 October 18
Not related to the previously mentionned treasure stash, but I scanned several issues of Wacci that are now available on acpc.me (https://acpc.me/#ACME/FANZINES_PAPIER/[ENG]ENGLISH_(UK)/WACCI)

No disrespect intended kailokyra - and congratulations on a very colourful website that is keeping the CPC alive - but all I can find are the WACCI front pages but none of the content. Most of us already have the front covers, I was hoping someone would have scanned all the 16 A3 sheets that made up the 32 page monthly magazine.

This has been a slightly drunken diatribe from the keyboard of....  YOURS TRULY....   Royal Air Force Flight Officer (Retired) Steve Williams R.N.  R.G.N.  S.R.N.  S.E.N.  R.M.N.      (Bahhhh....  that's enough bullcrap for now!).......     the former editor and still the sole owner of    WACCI .....     He is also known as    SevenT  or occasionally   he is somewhat   "affectionally"    referred to as     OMG      (Old Misery Guts)  by Joolz........ By The Way does anyone bother to read these signature lines until they get to repeat themselves?.... I'm curious.... How long would you continue to read this?  What if I revealed to you the fact that Auntie John Kennedy was actually a Welsh herbivore who convinced Sinead O'Conner to become a Buddhist Ninja and that Peter Ceresole (the famed WACCI Deputy Editor and ACU writer) was actually Rudolf Khametovich Nureyev  the greatest male ballet dancer of his generation.  Uncle Clive Bellaby was actually a very small mole upon the face of Sir Clive Sinclair... still reading this nonsense?      Oh how I wish we had the INTERNUT back in the day when we used to publish WACCI... we could have had so much more fun!    Good Lord you are still reading this... well here we go again...   "These violent delights have violent ends And in their trump die, like fire and powder. Which, as they kiss, consume"  "Let me not to the marriage of true minds, Admit impediments. Love is not love, Which alters when it alteration finds, Or bends with the remover to remove. O no, it is an ever-fixed mark. That looks on tempests and is never shaken; It is the star to every wand'ring barque, Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken. Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks. Within his bending sickle's compass come; Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks, But bears it out even to the edge of doom. If this be error and upon me proved, I never writ, nor no man ever loved."  Really? Still reading it? In case you are wondering... it was one of William Shakespeare's great sonnets.... and now we will get back to the signature rollout. THANK YOU FOR WATCHING!     SevenT

Skunkfish

SevenT - there seems to be around 40 full magazine scans amongst the covers if you take a closer look. Check out the issues with a .pdf extension. I've just had an enjoyable half an hour perusing through several of them....
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

kailokyra

Indeed, the missing issues only have the cover, and a "Manquant" (missing) flag next to their name.
But starting from number 56 and especially around number 100 to 130, many are available (Those without the "Manquant" text next to them :) .

I recon there should be a filter of some sort to ease the navigation.

Johnny Olsen

Quote from: CPC_Fan on 13:48, 23 June 16

Is the project canceled ?

Jonathan

As a penance for coming to the forum only with monitor problems (see here and here) I should offer to scan some more WACCIs...

Is there a list of issues that have already been scanned now? Thanks.

SevenT

Quote from: Jonathan on 14:21, 30 September 20

Is there a list of issues that have already been scanned now? Thanks.
It is on https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/WACCI#Issues Jonathan. Issues #'s 20 to 47 have not been scanned at all.
Thanx Steve.   ;D

Jonathan

Quote from: SevenT on 15:03, 30 September 20
It is on https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/WACCI#Issues Jonathan. Issues #'s 20 to 47 have not been scanned at all.
Thanx Steve.   ;D

Those WACCIs on the wiki (issues 82-87, 103-105 and 107) were ones I scanned nearly 10 years ago :-)

They were done at 200 resolution and I now accept Gryzor's point in a thread around the time - "I think it's a shame to do half a job while you're a it and not do a high-res scan for archival purposes"...

https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/cpcwiki-discussion/preferred-format-for-scans/

The URL to the French acpc.me website appears to have changed. The non-standard URL is problematic so here is a short link too.

https://tinyurl.com/yy6ddrvd

https://acpc.me/#ACME/FANZINES/FANZINES_PAPIER/%5BENG%5DENGLISH/%5Bincomplete%5DWACCI(52_56_58_61_82-87_89-90_95_97_100-130_139-140)