News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Want to delete my account and all posts

Started by WiltshireWizard, 12:28, 29 July 22

Previous topic - Next topic

WiltshireWizard

I must admit, I had lost touch with the limitations of forums like this compared to social media. In social media, I tend to delete everything after two or three days, whether it's Facebook, Instagram, whatever. It's just who I am. I hate people who may come across something I have posted five years from now and who then might think "Oh, so that's his opinion." - because it isn't! That's just how I felt *at that time*.

So to that end, I have edited all my posts here to nonsense garbage in the absence of a delete button. And until a delete button arrives on forums such as these, I have learned my lesson - will never visit them again.

However, if the moderator/owner could *permanently* delete my account and all my posts, that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Gryzor

Always a bullshit move. Cause damage to the community because... Reasons. 

robcfg

This is why social media is just crap.

Meaningless conversations with no persistence in time, just nothing at all.

@Gryzor , can the editing of posts be disabled after a certain time?

@WiltshireWizard , as far as I know, you've been treated fairly here, yet there you go causing damage because of selfish reasons.

You know what you're missing with your attitude? The benefit of retrospective. The benefit of learning from the past and from your errors. Maybe you should give it a thought.

Good bye.

eto

It's ok to anonymise your account and it's your right to remove any personal data. But the content of a post is not personal data, at least once your account is anonymised. Removing your stuff from a forum is, as Gryzor said, a bullshit move. Now part of the information is gone which is an insult to all those that spent their time to join a discussion or help.

• If you don't want to have your stuff permanently on a forum, don't post.
  • If your posts don't have a meaning, don't post.
  • If you don't consider to become a part of a community, don't join one

Personally I think posts should be locked for editing after a few hours to avoid tampering with data. That's how other forums do it. People should be allowed to delete their personal data and become "anonymous123", but their posts stay how they are. if there are special posts that need to be deleted for legal reasons (sharing really personal data e.g.) this can be done on request.

rexbeng

Totally agree. Comments shouldn't be editable for longer than, say, 48 hours after the post.

Shaun M. Neary

Attention whoring at it's finest.  :'( :laugh:
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

villain

TotO

I have read the edited posts and the result is worst than trolling on the forum.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Gryzor

Really asshole move if you ask me... Really can't understand why. 

@rexbeng yeah, what I was thinking, no idea if possible though. 

rexbeng

@Gryzor Well, in that case... As much as I find the edit option handy myself (English is a foreign tongue, I make mistakes), I'd prefer to double-post to correct myself and have the edit option removed entirely.

Gryzor

Nah, found how it's done, hopefully this will prevent such crap in the future. 

Carnivius

Quote from: rexbeng on 13:16, 29 July 22Totally agree. Comments shouldn't be editable for longer than, say, 48 hours after the post.

Maybe. But there are a few instances where it's useful to edit older comments, like when updating a dead link, often in the very first post if it a project or something that a member is releasing.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

rexbeng

Sure, but this happens how often? I'm sure a mod will be happy to help with the occasional request to merge some new post with the initial one in the thread if the purpose is so crystal clear.

MaV

The irony of WiltshireWizard's post is that on the one hand he is now known as a douche whereas before he was just another user, and he will be remembered as such in five years time as well, regardless of whether he has changed as a person.
Then to top it all off he mentions Facebook and Instagram - and I bet there's also other similar services he uses (Google?) - that are known to hold your data forever, even if you delete them at the application level so the public cannot see them anymore.

Stupid morons who start witch hunts against people for ancient quotes or HR departments who actively seek out your history on the net are another thing entirely, problems that need to be solved as a society, not a singular person hiding from them.

What was the other one called? That shit who programmed a JavaScript CPC emulator? (Don't bother answering. It's a rhetorical question.)
Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

reidrac

Quote from: robcfg on 13:05, 29 July 22This is why social media is just crap.

Meaningless conversations with no persistence in time, just nothing at all.

I don't disagree, in essence. I think the problem is more that some old-style Internet doesn't give the participants a chance to forget, compared with the perceived ephemerality (is that a word?) of the social media (that may not be real anyway).

Sometimes we may post something embarrassing... in a few years, that is going to be there for ever (OK, probably not; but let's say for a long time).

It has happened to everybody; I'm sure I have a couple of post around here that today embarrass myself. Either we have nicknames that are mostly anonymous like in the late 90s, which is mostly not the case anymore (for myself, my nick is 1:1 with my real name), or there's something broken here.

I'm totally against vandalism, but if there was an option for forum users to just be forgotten, that would be great. Otherwise, I think it is best to not participate.
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

robcfg

I totally get your point, but if you're posting stuff you may regret, a forum is definitely not for you because the good thing about it is you can check posts way back in time.

And I still think that even in that case, going back and seeing what you did wrong is a good way to get better.

reidrac

Quote from: robcfg on 19:07, 29 July 22I totally get your point, but if you're posting stuff you may regret, a forum is definitely not for you because the good thing about it is you can check posts way back in time.

And I still think that even in that case, going back and seeing what you did wrong is a good way to get better.

Yes, but we all know the GDPR exists, isn't it? Could be for the wrong reasons, bad implemented, whatever; but it is true we don't have control on the information we post here. At least removing any PII classified data should be possible.

Which is not the case we are discussing in this thread, we all see that :D But if someone wanted that information to be removed, the forum should support a way of doing that (showing the account name as [deleted] or whatever).

Sometimes I wonder if the people writing the forum software had thought that something like CPC Wiki would be around for... how old is this site now? :D
Released The Return of Traxtor, Golden Tail, Magica, The Dawn of Kernel, Kitsune`s Curse, Brick Rick and Hyperdrive for the CPC.

If you like my games and want to show some appreciation, you can always buy me a coffee.

robcfg

I registered on the 22 of November 2006, go figure...  8)

Gryzor

• Precisely, a mod can update a post if needed, no problem there.
  • @MaV, that's the exact reason I'm leaning his crap around, for him to be known as an asshole.
  • If someone provides a good (or bad!) reason, we can delete offending posts. Or, at least, attribute the posts to a dummy user so as to not break discussions, but also remove the burden for the user asking.
  • The wiki is, I think, 18 years old?

Gryzor

By the way, the only PII we have is what the user provided. And this is editable by the user. If need be any PII can be deleted by a mod. It's not like we're in the business of collecting them or doxxing people (like some people in the community have done with me...) 

robcfg

@Gryzor , according to the member list, you created your account one day earlier than me  ;D

That is, 2006-11-21, which will make the CPCWiki 16 years old on November.

Don't tell me we missed the 15 year celebration!  :P

Gryzor

Damn, you were so early?!

But I talked about the wiki, not the forum! 

robcfg

Hehe, if you are the Alpha and the Omega of the forum, I'm the Beta and the Psi  ;D

And you're right but not by much, the wiki started the 6th of June, 2006.

Gryzor

Huh yeah of course 2016,don't know where I got 18.

Good to have you, ΒΨ! 

robcfg