News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

What are people actually doing with their CPCs?

Started by GUNHED, 16:27, 27 January 23

Previous topic - Next topic

GUNHED

Well, I'm curious if there is a connection between the CPC model and the kind of usage...

Assuming that the CPC464 users do gaming most of the time and the CPC6128 users do more non-gaming / application activity - I'm curious if this is the case.

With my CPC6128 / 6128plus I do programming most of the time (got not time to play games most of the time).

How about you?
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

andycadley

Well I have both a 6128+ and a GX4000, but both are packed away and I rarely have time to spend on them. I can't imagine doing anything "serious" on actual hardware these days though, so it'd either be gaming or testing code to see how it differs from emulators if I did.

I'm not sure that helps...

abalore

I use the CPC mainly to play, but I also use it in a profesional fashion for quick testing of algorithms. The ability of BASIC to boot instantly and the powerful drawing commands have not been matched by any modern development environment.

Neurox66

I use my CPC 6128+ most of the time to programming and others CPC to play adventures  :D
CPC 464+ with C4CPC and Gotek HxC USB Drive - 
CPC 6128+ with Nova, FlashGordon,AmsDap, SymbiFace III -
CPC 6128 with M4 ... and other Amstrad computers

Devlin

I've got a 464. I use it mostly for games and demoscene stuff. Having only the usifac2 i've not been able to do much more in that regard - I did want to get into productivity stuff, but until a RAM expansion comes to me in the future, I'll have to wait.
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

TotO

I'm mainly using my CPC to test WIP hardware and games.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

GUNHED

That's a quite good oversight for the beginning.  :) :) :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Carnivius

What I do with my CPC 464 in the privacy of my own home is nobody else's business. ;)

But yeah, games. :)
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

eto

I'm using the real hardware to test hardware ;-) 

And every now and then I play a game

Rabs

I am using my CPCs to spend hours and hours trying to work out why they are not working  :picard:

The rest of the time I spend trying to work around why my CPCs are working.   :o

martin464

Use the 'office' 464 for coding and word processing. This ones gonna get a hard disk to see what power it unleashes
The 'home' one unfortunately is tape only. I use it with my son to write the odd program or simple game. Yes I been using tapes to save and load these until i get my hands on a DDI-1 - the wait may be long, not even seen one for sale let alone been put off by the price :)
CPC 464 - 212387 K31-4Z

"One essential object is to choose that arrangement which shall tend to reduce to a minimum the time necessary for completing the calculation." Ada Lovelace

XeNoMoRPH

I like to buy hardware and connect everything to the CPC, to boost CPC , i also like to test every new game that comes out, make captured videos from the real machine if possible, and things like that
your amstrad news source in spanish language : https://auamstrad.es

Interrupt

Having recently got mine up and running again and proving it still works, I'm hoping to archive some of my old discs, try out a few of the games and demos I've missed out on the past thirty years and then to test a new demo that I'm yet to write! Maybe I might manage to code a game as well. That said, I'm a serial starter of things and rarely a finisher (but that's another story). 

Animalgril987

I have 464: games and programming.

@Interrupt : I'm the same, there are many unfinished or barely started projects around here!

Lazy Dude

As soon as I get the membrane fixed I'll be hooking up the 6128 to its original colour monitor for some light gun action.
I bought the magnum years ago and never got round to having a go.

d_kef

This is what I do with my CPC lately...

More on that in a few days.... ;)

d_kef

Nich

Like @andycadley, my CPC is usually in storage and I only take it out and set it up on rare occasions, and even then, it's only to play games.

Prodatron

Quote from: d_kef on 16:27, 28 January 23This is what I do with my CPC lately... [...] More on that in a few days.... ;)
d_kef
Now even in CP/M, very cool!! :D

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

Shaun M. Neary

Gaming. And finally beating many games that stumped me during the 80s and 90s.

I've a lot of 8bit machines that I play as a hobby but I'm a CPC464 guy first.

Been doing a lot of emulating lately though as I soft modded my first gen switch, so there's some satisfaction playing CPC Shinobi on a handheld but believe me, its still no substitute for the real thing.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Prodatron

If I count the total time what my real CPC has been doing mainly for the past few years when I turned it on then it's probably 80% a jukebox music player (for ay, mp3, now mod, adlib in SymAmp).

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

skylas

I mostly use emulator, although I have my cpc6128.
If I use the original cpc, i use it most for playing games but also sometimes to test a game i created.
When i use the emulator, I use it for playing games of course, but I enjoy more programming when I am focused on creating something.
Web: https://amstradsakis.blogspot.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/AmstradSakis
My programs (only BASIC):
RETRO-LOADSHEET ON AMSTRAD CPC!
PENALTY KICKS!
CAPITAL QUIZ!
CAPITAL QUIZ 2! (Reverse edition)
HEADS OR TAILS (ΚΟΡΩΝΑ/ΓΡΑΜΜΑΤΑ)
HEART CHASER 1,2,3!
BARBOUTI!
STROOPIE!
BUDRUMI!
ART WAR!
BATTLE OF LENINGRAD!
AMSTABOO!
RODOLFO SKYLARRIENTE!

norecess464

I have an Amstrad CPC 6128 and an Amstrad Plus (and an Amiga 600) all plugged and ready for immediate use. I have also the GX-4000 / other Amstrad CPC "backups" (each ones with a different CRTC models) properly packed but not plugged.

Those days (years...) as I'm focusing on GX-4000 developments, I mostly use the Amstrad Plus with a C4CPC card. I do all my development on a PC laptop, and then I regularly test the new build on the Plus after each coding session. I do that to ensure that what I'm experiencing under the emulator also works fine on the real machine. I use my Plus instead of the GX-4000 because my Plus has a very handy reset button ;-)

From times to times (cf. in total approx. 30 min per week) I enjoy using the Amstrad CPC 6128 to launch games (Fruity Frank or similar, cf. games that provide me immediate enjoyment). And when there is a new "important" release available (demos, games, etc) I immediately run it the same day after work :)

Finally, I still maintain the dream that one day, I will have once again have a "full Amstrad experience", cf. using the machines themselves much more (cf. being productive using it). Maybe when I will be retired... since I plan keeping my Amstrads all my life, that will be perfectly fine to explore all of that in 20 years from now ahah

My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

ComSoft6128

I use my 6128 Plus (equipped with a Gotek) to gorge on the Smörgåsbord of programs available at CPCPOWER & CPCRulez.
One or two of these programs end up as YT videos.
I also have a 6128 to check programs that won't Run on the Plus.

Anthony Flack

I have my 6128 permanently set up in my back room. I mostly use it to play games, both old and new (and the CPC community has kept us well supplied with those in recent years) or to test things I've written and see how they look on a real CPC monitor. Sometimes I will type a little BASIC program in directly when I'm messing around with ideas, but mostly I program with an emulator. I never play games on emulator any more, though.

I have been trawling ebay recently to try to find a 6128+ because I do want to try writing a Plus game at some point.

dthrone

I generally use my GX4000+C4CPC for real hardware testing, also handy for analogue + LPEN too of course :laugh:

But I've also found it's a lot more fun to go to the effort of tranferring one of the hundreds now (!) of .cpr games to the C4CPC SD card rather than play in an emulator because it removes the tempatation to flit between games and use save states etc. and the result is a much more fulfilling experience :D