News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Why did you choose the CPC?

Started by Herman, 14:33, 04 May 24

Previous topic - Next topic

Why did you choose the CPC? Mainly for...

Gaming
1 (2.9%)
Developing (code, graphics, music)
4 (11.4%)
Business
0 (0%)
Gaming & developing
3 (8.6%)
Gaming & business
1 (2.9%)
Developing & business
1 (2.9%)
Gaming & developing & business
1 (2.9%)
Because my friends had one
1 (2.9%)
I was given a CPC as a gift
13 (37.1%)
My employer put it in front of me
1 (2.9%)
Other reasons (specified below)
9 (25.7%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Herman

Something that has always interested me: Why did you choose the CPC?
I ask because in the 1980s, two camps of home computer enthusiasts had formed in my circle of friends. To put it simply:

One side (a slight majority) wanted video games above all else and chose a C64, whose weak BASIC and fuzzy TV picture therefore didn't deter them, while the large number of video games attracted them.

The other side (a strong minority), on the other hand, wanted to program above all and therefore chose the CPC because its BASIC was among the best and its monitor showed a razor-sharp image (especially the green one), ideal for texting and long sessions, while the number of video games was of secondary importance to them.

lmimmfn

Main reasons for me/family was:
1. It came with a colour monitor(thankfully my dad hated anything monochrome including black and white movies lol - always said he spent long enough looking at a B/W tv he didn't want to go back to that) so no more hogging the tv as i used to do with the Binatone Pong "console" i had
2. I loved the vibrancy of the colours vs the C64
3. My young brain loved the colours of the 464 keyboard vs the boring beige C64 breadbin(i love the look of the breadbin now :) )
4. Games
5. Only realised this after getting the CPC, programming in basic was brilliant on it.
6128 for the win!!!

McArti0

Disc, LPT, EXPANSION PORT, 80x25 text, Z80. Real microcontroler for Addin hardware.

CPC 6128, Whole 6128 and Only 6128, with .....
NewPAL v3 for use all 128kB RAM by CRTC as VRAM
TYPICAL :) TV Funai 22FL532/10 with VGA-RGB-in.

ZorrO

Nothing else was sooo pretty and soo cheep with small drive, good keyboard and monitor like 6128, and I read in magazine about 80 columns and good Basic. Years later I seen how slowly was drive and Basic in other 8bit, I had no idea about it during buy, but that makes me feel it was even better choice than I though before. I had no idea about slower sprites either, but I don't care about it at all. All Polish magazines says CPC is good but no soft for it in Poland, but I was soo naive I believed Basic seems so easy I can write anything what I will be needed. I had no idea even CPC Basic is too slow for few things, and I was to lazy to learn Assembler, but for my lucky wasn't so bad with soft like they say. CPC 6128 was soo elegant, not like other toys, and big floppy for them was soo lousy, hard part was raise money and it took me several years, but choice was easy. :)
CPC+PSX 4ever

eto

My parents were convinced by their friends that a Schneider CPC 6128 would be the better choice compared to a C64. 

I did not care so much about what exact computer I got as long as I could program in BASIC and get some nice games. I also liked the idea to have my own monitor and would not be forced to sit in the living room, so I did not object - and later I was really happy with my CPC.

cwpab

Yaaaassssssssss! For once, I'm in the winning team. I also received it as a gift, so I had NO CHOICE!

Or hadn't I?

I mean, imagine you're an irritating, intellectually gifted kid who knows it all when he's 9. Your dad puts his CPC in your room, but you reject it. REJECT IT.

Why? I dunno...
- "Excuse me, my dear father, but I don't think you are prepared for the technology shift that's about to happen by letting such a machine in the hands of a child like me".
- "I deny the proposal. The exposure of my developing eyes to such lights, pressumably at late hours in the night, would surely affect my sleep cycles".
- "Does the Commodore 64 Club know about this? Because I believe you should tell them, they may need this statistic later".

Perhaps it would be more interesting to say why my dad wanted one. And I guess he wanted it because it was cool, it looked professional and it had colors. His previous computer was a 48k ZX Spectrum, and he most likely saw the CPC as his first chance to have a serious computer to do his text processing and simple physics simulations. Today he likes to play with topographical maps and stuff, so I guess in 1986-1989 he tried a number of applications for this machine... apparently he only liked one game: the chess one (not sure if 3D Voice Chess or Master Chess, maybe both... I hate chess!).

Devlin

I got mine as a hand-me-down from my dad, who had just upgraded to an amiga.
CPC464 & CPC6128 + USIfAC II + Revaldinho 512k(universal cpld ver) - Schneider CRT TV
Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

djaybee

My father's company had bought some of them to teach employees (and a few select family members) how to use computers. When the time came to buy a computer at home, my parents picked the same.

In turn, the company's choice was based on the versatility, i.e. availability of CP/M along with color capabilities.

Bifford

We all got it as a gift.

I imagine that as my parents have never been flushed for cash they chose it because they could see the upcoming change and need for a computer in the home and it was the most affordable "plug and play" option which didn't require more than one purchase and didn't use the TV. They got the MP-1, too, though so we could use it on the TV when needed.

ZorrO

CPC+PSX 4ever

Targhan

I didn't choose the CPC. It chose me.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

The Electric Monk

They were our school's official "computer class" computers, which meant there was a steady stream of games available for swapping :D We also used them to produce our student magazine. When a classmate of my brother sold his 6128, I begged my dad to get it for me, and he relented.

A few years later the school got IBM PCs and let the CPCs go for a song, so I picked up two more for around 10 DM (5€) each.
The terrible thing is, I only have one of the school CPCs left in my possession, and I have literally no idea what happened to the other two.

ZorrO

Quote from: Targhan on 18:18, 06 May 24I didn't choose the CPC. It chose me.
Yeah!  Whole universe was create because God wanted to you got CPC. :)
CPC+PSX 4ever

dodogildo

In 80's my papa was the publisher of a "racing form". A 4 pages newsletter on horse racing published 3-4 times a week, our family business. A friend of him, a pioneer computer programmer, eventually convinced him to add comparative racing data to the newsletter. In 1986 he offered to write the software for granted. And he did too (in GWBasic), both for data entry, a prediction analysis alghorithm (which was quite genial at the time) and for printing the proofs (via an electronic typewriter). The only thing we needed was a "PC compatible". So papa bought an Amstrad PC 1512 (with double disc drive, and no hdd). The plan proved to be very successful but this is another story. Alongside the 1512, the seller convinced him to buy a CPC 464 with green screen monitor for his nerdy son (yours truly) who was craving for anything, well, nerdy.

So the answer is that the CPC chose me, not the vice versa. And I'm happy it did!
M'enfin!

VincentGR

Everyone was talking about the Atari 2600. Never seen one or something similar, just arcades.
So I told my mother I want one.
Then I went out to brag to my friends that I would get one too.
A friend told me then : Why don't you get a Spectrum, it's an Atari and computer.
(You guessed right if you think that we were totally noobs)
Went back to home asking for a Spectrum...
Out again, same thing. Another one told me : Why don't you get an Amstrad?
What's this now? It's an Atari and computer, but it has a disk instead of tape and loads faster.
And Amstrad it was for me.

Gryzor

Similar story to @VincentGR 's. Saw a 2600 at a cousin's home. My jaw dropped when I realised you could control what happened on-screen. Simply an unimaginable concept. Didn't say much about it though, yet my parents did take note.

...and decided to get me a computer instead, bless them. I bet the 464 was their choice both because of the seller at the store (which was the Amstrad distributor :D ) AND because it came with a screen. 

VincentGR

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:33, 09 May 24Similar story to @VincentGR 's. Saw a 2600 at a cousin's home. My jaw dropped when I realised you could control what happened on-screen. Simply an unimaginable concept. Didn't say much about it though, yet my parents did take note.

...and decided to get me a computer instead, bless them. I bet the 464 was their choice both because of the seller at the store (which was the Amstrad distributor :D ) AND because it came with a screen.
Micropolis?

Well when I saw arcades for the first time, I was amazed too for controlling what I saw.
I was thinking how it works, maybe had lightbulbs in the shape of aliens?  ;D

Gryzor

Quote from: VincentGR on 09:46, 09 May 24
Quote from: Gryzor on 09:33, 09 May 24Similar story to @VincentGR 's. Saw a 2600 at a cousin's home. My jaw dropped when I realised you could control what happened on-screen. Simply an unimaginable concept. Didn't say much about it though, yet my parents did take note.

...and decided to get me a computer instead, bless them. I bet the 464 was their choice both because of the seller at the store (which was the Amstrad distributor :D ) AND because it came with a screen.
Micropolis?

Well when I saw arcades for the first time, I was amazed too for controlling what I saw.
I was thinking how it works, maybe had lightbulbs in the shape of aliens?  ;D
Yeah, Micropolis 😊

Bryce

The company where my father worked had a offer that employees could buy a computer at a discount. As far as I can remember, the C64, MSX, Enterprise, C64 and Atari 800XL were the options. My father chose the CPC as we only had one TV and my father (wisely) thought, that if the computer didn't come with a monitor, conflicts may arise. Unfortunately, he wasn't convinced that I needed a computer at all, so he went for the cheapest model: CPC464 with a GT65*.

Bryce.

* Yes, it really came with a GT65 although it was a 464.

SerErris

Lucky you, so you could right away deploy a Gotek withit  :laugh:
Proud owner of 2 Schneider CPC 464, 1 Schneider CPC 6128, GT65 and lots of books
Still learning all the details on how things work.

cwpab

Quote from: Bryce on 18:22, 09 May 24As far as I can remember, the C64, MSX, Enterprise, C64 and Atari 800XL were the options. My father chose the CPC as we only had one TV and my father (wisely) thought, that if the computer didn't come with a monitor, conflicts may arise.
Your father was a wise man: instead of chosing one of the two C64s, he opted for a secret option... the CPC! I wonder what kind of morse code was transmitted or wrinkled note was handled to your dad so he could understand...

McArti0

Quote from: Bryce on 18:22, 09 May 24cheapest model: CPC464 with a GT65*.
800xl and c64 were more expensive???  :o
CPC 6128, Whole 6128 and Only 6128, with .....
NewPAL v3 for use all 128kB RAM by CRTC as VRAM
TYPICAL :) TV Funai 22FL532/10 with VGA-RGB-in.

chinnyhill10

Given we were mostly kids at the time, we got one because it's what our parents purchased. In my case we had an Amstrad dealer in town and my Dads drinking buddy had a 464 with twin drives and everything you could imagine! He designed aircraft windows for a living and clearly had plenty of money for his own home computer setup!
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Bryce

Quote from: McArti0 on 07:20, 11 May 24
Quote from: Bryce on 18:22, 09 May 24cheapest model: CPC464 with a GT65*.
800xl and c64 were more expensive???  :o

Cheapest CPC model.

Bryce.