News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

What cpc to use

Started by hyperfan, 22:36, 02 February 17

Previous topic - Next topic

hyperfan

Hi guys

Getting back into amstrad after a long break.

Is a 6128 with the hxc considerd the best games setup?

||C|-|E||

If you are talking about completely unmodified machines, a 6128 with external tape player will let you play almost everything. The Plus range is very cool but the 464 does not have a floppy drive controller or port and the 6128 does not have tape port. If you are talking about modded machines, a 464 Plus upgraded to a 6128 is very nice, although you may run in to some compatibility problems with programs developed for the classic range. You could also add a tape port to a 6128 Plus, but the internal tape deck of the 464 Plus is more reliable. My workhorse is a modded 464 Plus  :) .

roudoudou

Is it justified to use tapes whereas all games exists in DSK/HFE ?

My pronouns are RASM and ACE

||C|-|E||

Only if you like them. It is as justified as using a real floppy drive instead of an HxC, I guess  :D

AMSDOS

I thought the best games setup would be a GX4000 with one of those hardware add-ons that I can no longer see on the forum or wiki.  ???
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

||C|-|E||

As far as I know, the C4CPC is available  :) . The problem I see with the console, however, is that there is only a certain amount of games that have been converted, mainly arcades. It would be pretty impossible to play certain genres with it, like adventures.

Skunkfish

If you're looking to buy a CPC to play some classics + latest releases then a 6128 & a HxC (or GoTek) drive is a great starting point.
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

roudoudou

Quote from: ||C|-|E|| on 00:16, 05 February 17
Only if you like them. It is as justified as using a real floppy drive instead of an HxC, I guess  :D

Tape loading always upset me back in the days...

Especially when you have to wait for a loading screen, before the game loading...

The only prod who can motivate me to buy a 464 is Breaking Bauds  ;D

When i talked about DSK/HFE, i also mean use real floppy (as DSK/HFE is the "master" to create a real floppy from the huge internet resources). I do not have 40.000 real floppy  :o
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

||C|-|E||

Tapes annoyed me like crazy back in the days too. Actually, I never owned a 464 in the 80s but a 6128 with external tape deck. However, now I kind of like them just for nostalgic reasons. I have all my software in the HxC but, from time to time, I load games from real tapes just because I feel like doing. I like to buy original tape games too. When I was a kid the tape deck was useful because it was way easier to find tape games and they were also half the price. Besides, almost all my friends had a 464  :) .

Dagger

I'm the same, just love loading up the tapes and waiting for them to load. I have a 6128 with hxc, 6128, 6128+, 464+ and 2 664's but I always find my self using the 464 standard. Nostalgia is a lovely feeling.
Life's a bitch. You marry one or two then you die !

||C|-|E||

You have a couple of 664?  :D It is the only Amstrad I do not have!  :laugh:

Dagger

Got an English one and a Schneider :)

Life's a bitch. You marry one or two then you die !

||C|-|E||

chinnyhill10

6128 with HxC is the ideal daily runner. Then get a 464 for the weekends.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

keith56

I have 3 machines at the moment

1. 6128 with internal HXC
2. 6128+ with External HXC and C4CPC
3 GX4000

I have to agree with previous commenters, that the 6128 with HXC is the one to go for as an all round machine, as I can use an external tape with the 6128 for my cassette games, and most games do not need the Plus features.

I would like to get a 464 at some point, partially for nostalgia as it was what I owned in the day, and for development to test on the 64k hardware.

On the subject of the HXC, During Dev of my last game there was a nasty bug in the code which was wiping the disk, I solved it thanks to the external HxC's LCD which showed a "W" at the moment the disk was being incorrectly written - I dread to think how long it would have taken to solve on the 6128 which does not have the LCD display.
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

chinnyhill10

Quote from: keith56 on 04:37, 08 February 17

On the subject of the HXC, During Dev of my last game there was a nasty bug in the code which was wiping the disk, I solved it thanks to the external HxC's LCD which showed a "W" at the moment the disk was being incorrectly written - I dread to think how long it would have taken to solve on the 6128 which does not have the LCD display.

I've always said the external HxC is a better investment as it can be used with other machines as well as your CPC.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

||C|-|E||

Indeed, it is one of the greatest additions along with the C4CPC if you have a Plus  :)

simondo

With the departure of Toto / Centpourcent for memory expansion, then unless you can track down a DK'tronics 64k RAM expansion, a CPC6128 or 6128plus with a HXC device is the way to go.

If you can get a memory expansion then a CPC464 and DDI-3 from Piotr is quite economical compared to to CPC6128s which are circa £200 on Ebay right now. I have also seen a couple of DDI-1 interfaces on Ebay which, with some modification, can be used with a HXC device. 

If you can change the CPC464 OS ROM to 6128 either internally or externally then there is very little difference between a CPC464 and CPC6128.

My setup:
CPC464 with 464 and 6128 OS ROM, DK'tronics 64k RAM expansion, DDI-3.

Edit: and of course my newly repaired 3" drive from Bryce!

Bryce

I saw a 6128 on ebay (Germany) last week which ended without a single bid. Starting price was €69.

Regarding Memory expansions: When Mr Palmer releases his 2MB expansion, we will all have more than enough memory: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/2-mega-byte-memory-expansion/

Bryce.

keith56

Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!