News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Which CPC has the best keyboard?

Started by martin464, 00:14, 28 October 22

Previous topic - Next topic

martin464

So, what do you recon?!
But how many keyboard types were there... and are any of these the same?
I'd guess it's 5, tall key 464, short key 464, 664, 6128 and the plus one

I only tried 2 of these. The tall key 464 which I preferred to the 6128 - I find the 6128 seems to have a 'sticky' feel
I'm curious to try the 664 and short key 464 to see if there's any difference there

Got to admit I didn't know of the 464 had 2 types till recently (thanks to CPC wiki) and I do like it, but fast typing sometimes results in unwanted extra character. That keyboard wants to hammered!

I thought it odd I have the early tall keys one when I'm sure I only got the CPC in '86... but checking the serial numbmer shows it's an '84. Maybe it was first in last out at the warehouse lol
CPC 464 - 212387 K31-4Z

"One essential object is to choose that arrangement which shall tend to reduce to a minimum the time necessary for completing the calculation." Ada Lovelace

Gryzor

I think the 6128 stickiness that you describe comes with age (the machine's, not ours!). I think I remember it being pretty crisp and bouncy when I had one originally.

I love the tall keys but I think the low keys are faster to type with. 

TotO

The CPC 6128 (then the Plus range using the same) :
- All the keys are easy to use/access
- The layout is close to a real PC

On the CPC 464/664 the copy and arrows keys are badly placed and finally unusable (causing people to play with QAOP like on a ZX). The keyboard case is too thick, which make them uncomfortable for programming. The feeling of the keys pressing is a habit.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

pelrun

A few years back when I pulled my 6128 out of mothballs it had sticky keys, but that was entirely due to accumulated dirt in the key mechanism. After cleaning and wiping the channels with a tiny amount of silicone lube it came good and has been smooth ever since.

martin464

ok, makes sense to clean after decades in the loft
464/6128 2 very different keyboards. personal preferences, etc

the 6128 layout is neat and looks good but never found the 464 arrow keys a problem though, you kind of know where they are without looking looking, levitating above the numeric keyset. i like the giant enter key also. 

i'd understand anyone who changed out the coloured keys for greys for being garish....    can these be sourced?

CPC 464 - 212387 K31-4Z

"One essential object is to choose that arrangement which shall tend to reduce to a minimum the time necessary for completing the calculation." Ada Lovelace

GUNHED

http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)