Which of these 2 is considered more 'collectible' 464 or 6128?

Started by banana, 17:15, 10 March 21

Previous topic - Next topic

banana

Between the 464 and the 6128, which is considered more collectible from a collectors point of view. I know the 664 probably beats both, but I want to know for these 2 models.

tjohnson

What do you mean collectable?  I think the 464 is more iconic but the 6128 more practical.  If you a collecting iconic examples of 8-bit computers you should get the 464.

banana

Quote from: tjohnson on 00:03, 11 March 21
What do you mean collectable?  I think the 464 is more iconic but the 6128 more practical.  If you a collecting iconic examples of 8-bit computers you should get the 464.
Not for me, but just wondering for collectors on ebay which of these 2 models are more sought after (trying to make sense of the pricing)

tjohnson

Are there collectors on ebay. I thought most people were just trying to make a profit from things like this.  I think the 6128 is more sought after as its more practical so if you are buying to use then you would want thar.  If you are vying to collect then you might want both depends on what and how you are collecting I guess.

banana

Then how do you explain the high prices of the 464? I can't explain it unless it's for collectors.

Skunkfish

Well, 464's always seem to go for a lot less than a 6128 in terms of price....
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: banana on 00:14, 11 March 21
Not for me, but just wondering for collectors on ebay which of these 2 models are more sought after (trying to make sense of the pricing)

If you're looking for sense of pricing on ebay, you've gone to the wrong place. That's your first mistake!
A lot of people selling there have no idea what the stuff they're selling is actually worth and a lot of it is listed there for eternity. They get the occasional sucker.

There's a big boom in retrogaming in recent years. Prior to that, you could get get stuff for buttons.

A good example was the GX4000. You could literally get that for a tenner or less, unboxed. Then the C4CPC came out and the prices skyrocketed.

Quote from: Skunkfish on 12:31, 11 March 21Well, 464's always seem to go for a lot less than a 6128 in terms of price....

Pretty much this, as the 6128 has the drive controller built in and can easily fit a Gotek.
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Skunkfish

QuoteA lot of people selling there have no idea what the stuff they're selling is actually worth and a lot of it is listed there for eternity.
This is true, and sadly there's the occasional sucker who pays over the odds.
If you look on eBay, it looks like prices of 464's and 6128's have doubled over the past couple of years. This might be true, but mainly because people are using those overpriced perma-listings as a benchmark for what they're actually worth.
An expanding array of hardware available at www.cpcstore.co.uk (and issue 4 of CPC Fanzine!)

Bryce

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 14:26, 11 March 21A good example was the GX4000. You could literally get that for a tenner or less, unboxed. Then the C4CPC came out and the prices skyrocketed.

So it's all @gerald 's fault is what you're saying? :D

Bryce.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Bryce on 14:42, 11 March 21

Bryce.

Typical Bryce throwing words into my mouth!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Bryce

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 14:47, 11 March 21

Typical Bryce throwing words into my mouth!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Words, they're cheaper than alcohol. :)

Bryce.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Bryce on 15:00, 11 March 21
Words, they're cheaper than alcohol. :)

Bryce.

Oh I don't know... some of my words have cost me a LOT of money over the years!

banana

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 15:04, 11 March 21
Oh I don't know... some of my words have cost me a LOT of money over the years!
Same here... :o

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Skunkfish on 14:41, 11 March 21
If you look on eBay, it looks like prices of 464's and 6128's have doubled over the past couple of years. This might be true, but mainly because people are using those overpriced perma-listings as a benchmark for what they're actually worth.

Yep, same for some of the games too. Absolutely laughable. I stopped using fleecebay for retro buying ages ago and went towards facebook groups.
They don't get stung with ebay charges, and they tend to weed out re-sellers and sell to people genuinely wanting to play the things.

It's win/win

gerald

Quote from: Bryce on 14:42, 11 March 21

Bryce.
Guilty as charged !Too bad I did not stock few NOS before releasing the C4CPC  ;D

villain

Quote from: banana on 15:10, 11 March 21
Same here... :o

And also here! One word was enough, I only said ,,Yes!" Grossly negligent! 🤪