News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Who's on Twitter?

Started by Gryzor, 06:41, 05 August 11

Previous topic - Next topic

Gryzor

Hello guys,
During this last downtime I had the opportunity to use Twitter (user id: krakout) to communicate with some fellow users. Very handy, I'll be using it in the future as well.
What I wanted to ask is, who uses the service to tweet CPC-related (but not exclusively, of course) stuff? It'd be nice to compile a list so we can follow those we're interested in...

Cheers
Themis

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 06:41, 05 August 11
Hello guys,
During this last downtime I had the opportunity to use Twitter (user id: krakout) to communicate with some fellow users. Very handy, I'll be using it in the future as well.
What I wanted to ask is, who uses the service to tweet CPC-related (but not exclusively, of course) stuff? It'd be nice to compile a list so we can follow those we're interested in...

Cheers
Themis

I setup some account on this, but found out the hard way it wasn't really meant to do what I wanted it to do - which made it pointless. One of the other members here had an account, though I think they were using it for non-CPC specific blogs or something.

I just don't understand what the hype is regarding this one - Facebook is different cause people love to tell you how burnt their toast is cooked from their toaster, how often they Iron their clothes, how often they do their washing. Really! Read the next sentence at your own risk
Spoiler: ShowHide
Maybe Twitter would be handy for letting people know what colour your underwear is today!  :-X
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Bryce

And, and??.... You're just going to leave us hanging there without letting us know the colour? :D

(actually according to your second spoiler, the colour has just been reset).

Just to keep it on-topic, no I don't use twitter, facebook or ANY other sites. The internet for me is CPCWiki :)

Bryce.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Bryce on 09:57, 05 August 11
And, and??.... You're just going to leave us hanging there without letting us know the colour? :D

(actually according to your second spoiler, the colour has just been reset).

There's your answer!  :P

QuoteJust to keep it on-topic, no I don't use twitter, facebook or ANY other sites. The internet for me is CPCWiki :)

Bryce.

Perhaps it's safe in that instance to use the alternative facebook & twitter sites. Trouble with Facebook and Twitter is since they attract the attention, so they could also be prone to hackers, con artists & scum buckets (punks). I guess it's like Dating Sites - the free ones will attract the Cheap Skates and riff raff, not that I'm suggesting decent folks don't go there - cause there could well be  :-[  Though perhaps paying for that sort of thing will cross a line through the sorts of people you might find - I don't know!  :-X

Your Computer Programs

Devilmarkus

I'm just on Facebook...

Whats about a 2nd mini forum?
It's a quick solution...
I could setup it on a different server and so we have a conversation possibility for everyone...
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

AMSDOS

Quote from: Devilmarkus on 10:36, 05 August 11
I'm just on Facebook...

Whats about a 2nd mini forum?
It's a quick solution...
I could setup it on a different server and so we have a conversation possibility for everyone...

I like the idea in the sense there's something there if something happens to this forum (heaven forbid though). Though there's also c.s.a.8 which people can get onto through Google Groups if Usenet isn't available to them. Forums though tend to offer more features over Usenet groups though.

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

I don't really like Twitter myself, and I wouldn't be using it if it weren't for my Android phone; the way I use it is to read updates from certain sites or people (like Metr's videos) that I don't have in my RSS list. I don't really use it for personal "status" updates, this is really stupid.

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:32, 05 August 11
I don't really like Twitter myself, and I wouldn't be using it if it weren't for my Android phone; the way I use it is to read updates from certain sites or people (like Metr's videos) that I don't have in my RSS list. I don't really use it for personal "status" updates, this is really stupid.

Yeah I was only being stupid when it comes to personal information stuff cause I only ever hear or read about the stupid stories about Facebook or Twitter when it's being misused or poorly used, which I don't wouldn't expect good folks would be doing. All they would have to worry about are the dribble which is sent or hackers after personal details. The push for this technology is probably the reason why those kinds of sites are doing well, unfortunately their setup in such a way only people with accounts through those sites can only receive that information. Which is why I think email is far superior.

Your Computer Programs

Gryzor

You're confusing the two, email is mostly a one-to-one way of communicating. Twitter is a one-to-many one.

Or maybe we could start a mailing list on an independent server, but I don't know how many would go in the trouble... mailing lists are pretty much dead?

AMSDOS

Quote from: Gryzor on 07:11, 06 August 11
You're confusing the two, email is mostly a one-to-one way of communicating. Twitter is a one-to-many one.

Or maybe we could start a mailing list on an independent server, but I don't know how many would go in the trouble... mailing lists are pretty much dead?

The problem is mailing lists invited spammers, however using Blind Carbon Copy (BCC) I think is supposed to reduce this. Pretty sure Mailing Lists aren't dead, I recieve notices for Online Newspapers, Job Networks also send them out and if I'm not mistakin Subscribing to a thread on any forum is a form of mailing list - your simply telling the system your interested in any updates and it sends out the email.

What a Tweet probably has the advantage over this is people can get in touch more openly- on Radio and TV and some interactive TV shows want you tweeting them, ideas get spread around and you then become some kind of think tank for them - speading ideas, on TV media reporters have their own Tweet under their name - is it better than an email? Only the tweeters will know if a huge amount of spam arrives in their tweets unless there's regulation into what is allowed and the rest is filtered out. The problem I had when I was trying to use it was to do with the subject matter and how people setup subjects on Twitter to discuss - I'm unsure. At the time I was trying to post something on someone's twitter which off-topic in the way the discussions were being handled, that's the best way to describe it.

I've always wondered how good a CPC Community would stack up on Twitter or Facebook, set it up and regularly update with news. Thats what I thought the role for Forums was for though!  :)

Your Computer Programs

McKlain

Many big websites have a twitter account just to post updates (news, releases, etc) and also as a quick way to get feedback from the users. Some people like to use it to write famous quotes (like they also do on facebook), to publish where they are or what they are going to do at that very moment (like they do on facebook), to publish pictures from their phone (like they do on facebook)...

I have an account but I just use it to talk to my friends, publish things that come to my mind from time to time and read updates about stuff that interests me. I only use it via web, I don't have (or need) a smartphone.

BTW, there is also spam and phising attempts on twitter.

Gryzor

I've only seen two or three spam messages in several months, and those accounts were immediately suspended actually... I still find it a good means to propagate short snippets of news.

khisanth

i use it everyday pretty much

CPCRetro is me !

Carnivius

I use it pretty much every day that I have the computer (or PS3 nearby).  It's my main source of news updates for all sorts of different things I follow and I keep in touch with some friends on it.  I'm not a big internet user anymore but certainly I use Twitter far more than most sites.  I don't often talk about CPC stuff on it though unless I'm really into a project or playing a game on it at the time.
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

AMSDOS

I've been poking around with mine
Out_Bush
which looks like I'm in the Valley of Death, and the more my page progresses the more evil and disturbed it becomes - only thing cheerful about it are my followers!  ;D

I guess it's addictive in a way when you see Followers numbering up to follow you, that's the only pleasant thing about it, though I guess 140 characters would help folks to write better and direct!  ;D 

I only just found out you can protect your tweets from the public, unsure if that would limit the number of folks you have following you, only time would tell!  :)

Your Computer Programs

Nich

Quote from: CP/M User on 10:43, 05 August 11Though there's also c.s.a.8 which people can get onto through Google Groups if Usenet isn't available to them. Forums though tend to offer more features over Usenet groups though.

Does anyone on here use Usenet nowadays? I stopped using it years ago when Freie Universität Berlin started charging for access to their Usenet server (news.cis.dfn.de).

Gryzor

Unfortunately, no. I still subscribe to csa8 through Google but, for discussions and news Usenet has fallen behind...

Executioner

I haven't figured out how to use twitter yet. What's the # and @ for?

McKlain

The @ is to mention someone in your message, and the # is used to add a "hashtag", to tag your message.

Like this: https://twitter.com/#!/windowsphone/status/109333730987999232

Gryzor

The hashtag # was an unofficial feature, used by the users. Say for instance that you want to check all the tweets mentioning the cpc. Now, ideally, users twitting about the CPC should add "#cpc" to their tweets. Then, if you do a search for this specific tag you'll get them easily.

McKlain

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:31, 05 September 11
The hashtag # was an unofficial feature, used by the users.

Wow, I haven't been on twitter for that long  :laugh:

Gryzor

Me neither, but I tend to read up on such things as work material...

AMSDOS

Quote from: Nich on 13:11, 04 September 11
Does anyone on here use Usenet nowadays? I stopped using it years ago when Freie Universität Berlin started charging for access to their Usenet server (news.cis.dfn.de).

I subscribed to:

comp.lang.misc
comp.lang.pascal.borland
comp.os.cpm
comp.sys.amstrad.8bit

Using Google Groups, which sends me an email with New Topics and Replies (in Detail) everyday.

Of those the Pascal and Amstrad groups are very quiet. The Pascal one used to fill up with students looking for help with their program, since other languages have replaced that and newer Pascal's are available I think there's Usenet groups for those languages, which tends to drive away the people from the Borland one. What's going on with c.s.a.8 I wouldn't have the foggiest idea, people have accepted this Wiki Forum as a reasonable place to be. Even when CPCZone was going strong though I think c.s.a.8 was still being used though, so I'm unsure. Perhaps newer Computers/Operating Systems hasn't favoured Usenet as much, I used to use it through my email program which was handy for filling up your hard disk and perhaps Google Groups is less fashionable, though I do my emails remotely so it doesn't quite have as much management as downloading emails to your hard disk.

Regarding Twitter, I think "@" followed by a name sends an email to that person (if that's how their profile is setup), I haven't used the "#" tag, though letting others find your comments through a common theme seems plausible!  But I've locked myself up so that mightn't show up unless you're following me or something!  :laugh:

Your Computer Programs

GUNHED

Eventually I ended up having a twitter account too ('TFM'), just to have a better look at what they all do in the CPC-Twitter world.  :) :) :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

robcfg

I made myself a Twitter account some time ago, so nobody could use my nickname there.

And it is, well, robcfg  ;D