News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Who is Roger Jowett

Started by Executioner, 01:33, 28 May 10

Previous topic - Next topic

arnoldemu

From old-computers:

"YouTube

please help
trying to convert 8bit video for sam coupe
this is still not mode 3 interlaced with hmpr bit 5$6 CLUT alterations per scan line HELP we only need a DMA...
masterdos/basic atom lite support HELP"

Possible translation:

"YouTube

please help.

I am trying to convert 8bit video for sam coupe.

If you use mode 3 interlace and set bit 5&6 of "hmpr" register, and do CLUT alterations per scan line this could be possible and make a good result. But I need help to make this possible..

Could we use a hardware DMA to make this a reality?
Can anyone help me to use  masterdos or atom lite interface (not atom lite+)?"

atom lite is a cf/ide interface for sam. advanced version is called "atom lite+". So "basic atom lite" is the less advanced version.
CLUT is "colour look up table". It means modifying the palette registers, changing the colour for a pen.

mode 3 on sam is 512x192 linear framebuffer, 2 bits per pixel (4 colours).
"All modes are paletted, with a 16-entry CLUT selecting from a palette of 128 colours. "

hmpr is "high memory page register".

bit 5 and bit 6 control part of the colour look up register addressing, "only available in mode 3".

It is not garbage and not machine generated.

it's ramblings, it's deep understanding of the sam hardware which we lack.

all he's saying, is, "using this mode, and changing the colours over the screen we could achieve close to a 256 colour mode", it may not be possible without hooking up a DMA to write changes more quickly.

When he puts HELP on the end of a line, it is not clear to me if he is asking for help, OR he is saying "I can help here".

Look on youtube, it's got a video he made showing part of this idea already working.

Roger is a real person!
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Gryzor

Real people can copy/paste too, you know :D

I've also had communications with him in the past, so I'm fairly sure it's not a bot. Either that or the Turing test got busted.

TFM

But you think that I'm real too! Honestly I'm just a program running on an old CPC with 4 MB RAM, HD20 hard disc and a CPC-Booster+ to access the forum.  :laugh:
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Devilmarkus

Quote from: TFM/FS on 20:10, 07 June 13
But you think that I'm real too! Honestly I'm just a program running on an old CPC with 4 MB RAM, HD20 hard disc and a CPC-Booster+ to access the forum.  :laugh:

The unreal real TFM ;)
When you put your ear on a hot stove, you can smell how stupid you are ...

Amstrad CPC games in your webbrowser

JavaCPC Desktop Full Release

TFM

The RTFM.... yes... unreal tournament coming soon  8)

EDIT: Haha, guess I hijacked this thread  ;)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

khisanth

I love the fact that amongst the technobabble he said "eggnchips"   ;D

Gryzor

That... Was...a blast from the past, I guess [emoji23]

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

khisanth

Well he appeared on the ZX Spectrum Next Facebook group demanding hardware specs even though they are available on the website!

Gryzor

khisanth

Someone else already did, few people have looked already!  He has pestered a bunch of people there too, many had to block him.

Xyphoe

Topic necro time. Roger is BACK!

And spamming Amstrad Facebook groups again.

(Actually he's still been around all this time popping up with new accounts, then being blocked by everyone and creating new ones).
The latest news is he flew out to Afghanistan to retrieve a backpack he left there 19 years ago(!!) and is now stuck in Kabul after being arrested by the Taliban and spending some days in jail. During all this he managed to get a job at Sky technical support!!?!

https://www.facebook.com/roger.jowett.3/posts/10223865548079910

Possibly legit, there's videos of what looks like Kabul on his new YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvRT08wyh9Y0FGJ75Vh2CBg

And has been spamming various UK politicians for help getting home with his passport number - https://twitter.com/rogerjowett

I think the guy is seriously mentally unwell and needs help :(

Bryce

I'll pick him up on the way back. I'm down in Kabul because the Burger King in Tashkent was closed. :D

Bryce.

eto

Quote from: Xyphoe on 00:54, 11 October 21to retrieve a backpack he left there 19 years ago(!!)

In a safe deposit box at the airport??? Where should that remain untouched for 19 years?

Gryzor

Got to say, I feel rather uncomfortable discussing someone with issues and in such light, good-natured as it might be...

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 13:32, 15 October 21
Got to say, I feel rather uncomfortable discussing someone with issues and in such light, good-natured as it might be...

Normally, I'd agree with you, but if he's trolling and spamming the net with this stuff as much as he does, he is bringing it on himself.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Could it be it's precisely due to those issues though?

Zeppo69

Sad story,
ages ago i had some nice chats with him.  He is an admirer of the Sam Coupé (he knows a lot about the machine) and he pointed me to several tools, but i decided to turn to the CPC  ;) (It was impossible to get hands on a real Sam Coupé :o )
Honestly, i don't think that he is bad guy.A friend of mine (for me a serious source)  put it this way: "Roger can go off down a rabbit hole and not realize he's lost his audience. But he's a real guy, and a nice one too."
Sure, i can understand everyone who is annoyed. Just wanted to throw in my experience.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Gryzor

That's the feeling I get too... A guy who does know stuff but goes off on weird tangents.