[?] Using the Starkos Player for sound effects (e.g. in games), is it possible?

Started by Prodatron, 13:13, 17 March 23

Previous topic - Next topic

Prodatron

Somehow I have in my mind, that it is possible to use the Starkos Player also for playing sound effects, even while playing a tune. Does it require a hack, or is it an existing feature?

GRAPHICAL Z80 MULTITASKING OPERATING SYSTEM

roudoudou

Quote from: Prodatron on 13:13, 17 March 23Somehow I have in my mind, that it is possible to use the Starkos Player also for playing sound effects, even while playing a tune. Does it require a hack, or is it an existing feature?
you can hack any player if you do not call anymore the player ;D
then you save every registers (better)
doing your sh1T !
then you restore every registers (BETTER!)
then you start again calling the player

My pronouns are RASM and ACE

TotO

As I remember for R-Type, when a SFX is played it just cut the music channel the required time.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Prodatron

Thanks! Ok, I see, so there is no "feature" for this :)
I was wondering, if the Starkos player can play just one single instrument (which would be the sound FX) on a specific channel on demand.
Or do have game developers usually their own methodes for playing a sound FX.

roudoudou

Quote from: Prodatron on 15:30, 17 March 23Thanks! Ok, I see, so there is no "feature" for this :)
I was wondering, if the Starkos player can play just one single instrument (which would be the sound FX) on a specific channel on demand.
Or do have game developers usually their own methodes for playing a sound FX.
if you do not want to make your own solution, you can upgrade your starkos file to AT1 or AT2 and use the dedicated player
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

Prodatron

GUNHED

Quote from: roudoudou on 14:20, 17 March 23
Quote from: Prodatron on 13:13, 17 March 23Somehow I have in my mind, that it is possible to use the Starkos Player also for playing sound effects, even while playing a tune. Does it require a hack, or is it an existing feature?
you can hack any player if you do not call anymore the player ;D
then you save every registers (better)
doing your sh1T !
then you restore every registers (BETTER!)
then you start again calling the player

Well, that's the way I do it for one of my games. However I just let the song player continue and in addition I so add the sound effect to one channel only. So the song continues an the effect is added. 

BTW: It would be nice to have some tool like Starkos just for making sound effects.  ;)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)