News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

40007 Replacement..

Started by WacKEDmaN, 01:18, 20 October 20

Previous topic - Next topic

WacKEDmaN

my first post here.. ex CPC464 user from the 80s and early 90s.. finally got hold of a 464 but the gate array is missing  :doh:
im really struggling to find a replacement ANYWHERE in the world..
i have seen code for FPGA based gate array, but id like to not have to learn vhdl/fpga's just to get the CPC running..
is there a C++ implementation somewhere that can be used on say an STM32 bluepill or the like?..im happy to build adapters for the pinouts etc..

any help would be greatly appreciated

pelrun

Unfortunately the only source for gate arrays is from other units. One has to die so another may live.  :laugh:

While we do have a full description of the GA logic now, nobody has yet created the hardware for dropping into a real machine.
Your best bet is to hunt for another (working) CPC and keep the one you have for spares.

Audronic

@WacKEDmaN

Please check your Personal Messages

Keep Safe

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Audronic

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Bryce

I think @TotO still has 40007 chips for sale.

Bryce.

llopis

Quote from: pelrun on 03:43, 20 October 20
While we do have a full description of the GA logic now, nobody has yet created the hardware for dropping into a real machine.
I was actually wondering about that recently. Is there a reason for that? The Spectrum ULA has several implementations. I'm sure there's demand for a GA replacement (I know I would buy 5-10).

TotO

Yes, I have few used 40007 to repair the CPC 464 if needed.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

WacKEDmaN

awesome thanks for the replies guys...
its an original first run MC0001A/Z70100 board so it will only take the 40007, am i correct in thinking it can take the 40010 with an adapter?

i think its time someone built a replacement!... it seems they are getting hard to find.. it wont be long until its completely impossible to find... looks like i might have to learn VHDL! (i wanted to get back into ASM not VHDL!)

PMed you TotO

btw: G'Day Noel!... i didnt expect to hear from you on my first post here!

Bryce

An adapter would be possible, it only needs to swap the pinout, but I don't think anyone has ever built one.

As for a CPLD replacement. If the code exists then it shouldn't be an issue to make a drop-in replacement.

Bryce.

dragon

I think macleod_ideafix from zonadepruebas.com work time ago in one replacement, but I don't know the actual status.

https://www.zonadepruebas.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=8188&p=78009&hilit=Gate+array#p78009

Bryce

Wow, that's a bit of a sledge hammer solution. Did he really need a Xilinx XC95216 just to clone the array?

Bryce.

llopis

Quote from: Bryce on 15:17, 20 October 20
Wow, that's a bit of a sledge hammer solution. Did he really need a Xilinx XC95216 just to clone the array?
I don't know much about the topic. What do you think would be a better implementation from a cost point of view? Just curious.

Bryce

It's not really a question of cost, I just think that there's probably smaller CPLDs that could do the job just as well.

Bryce.

dragon

Quote from: Bryce on 15:17, 20 October 20

Bryce.

The translations is  something that they try it because was "one chip solution". But it not work.

Only the small multi chip work.

The adapter was multi-purpose, it have 40007+40010 embebbed.

WacKEDmaN

there seems to be a "homebrew" 6128 kit getting around on ebay that uses EMP7128SLC84 CPLD..i been looking at it but i cant find any info on how-to etc...
still quite a large solution.. but nice to see it works
it would be nice to find a CPLD that could just drop straight in... there has to be "something" out there that can do it in 2020 FFS!

ive got a feeling it can be done with simple off the shelf STM32... take code from tiny8bit, (https://github.com/floooh/chips/blob/master/chips/am40010.h) expose it to the physical pins... and profit!
(im sure im missing somethin here tho!)

00WReX

Quote from: WacKEDmaN on 10:23, 20 October 20
its an original first run MC0001A/Z70100 board so it will only take the 40007, am i correct in thinking it can take the 40010 with an adapter?

Ahh, I noticed that board on ebay AU...
I thought about grabbing it a few times, just cos it's an early one...but missing the Gate Array, and already having having a spare board, I decided not to.

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

WacKEDmaN

40007 arrived.... in amazing condition for a for a 32yo old chip (8823), it looks brand spanking new!

thanks again ToTO