News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

464 Resurrection - with only mainboard!

Started by WacKEDmaN, 18:35, 09 December 20

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainRon

They always said cedar wood helps keep the bugs away ;) That's a fine looking box, maybe have a false bottom to hide the pcb and have a nice place to set the keyboard. Recess the false bottom enough such that the display doesn't touch the keyboard when stowed.  
If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there.

WacKEDmaN

Quote from: jb2590 on 19:24, 01 August 22They always said cedar wood helps keep the bugs away ;) That's a fine looking box, maybe have a false bottom to hide the pcb and have a nice place to set the keyboard. Recess the false bottom enough such that the display doesn't touch the keyboard when stowed. 
i was thinking about putting like a shelf in at the back to hide wires.. i sort of want the board to be seen.. the black and gold is sweet!..ill sit the keyboard on that shelf... i cant really move the board anywhere as need access to the expansion port addons (more to come later).. i gotta really make up the PS2 adapter board hide it under the mainboard aswell..
i might have to take the monitor apart yet too, just to lower its profile...(it wont be able to be centred in the lid with the joystick either)

CaptainRon

You may want to do it up like a nice storage box with form-fit cutout inserts to hold all your kit stable inside. Then when you want to use it you pull out the keyboard, joystick, and monitor, route the wires into the box to connect to the boards inside, close the lid, and set all the peripherals on top. It would definitely give it a classy old-school homebrew look and feel, also then you can see more of the finished wood instead the inside of the box. If someone see's it and starts nerding out on it, you can open the bonnet to show them all the cool bits inside. 
If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there.

WacKEDmaN

getting there... its quite heavy with the monitor... i couldnt remove the back housing from it..so it still sticks out a little, but lets me hide the vga and power cable behind it...
gbs8200 is under the while foam.. ive gotta work somethin out there to hold the keyboard in place when its closed up (dont want it rubbing on the screen)
still needs power.. i was going to take power from the monitor.. but its probably better to run it separately...ill run power in from a 12v brick, power the gbs8200/esp8266 directly from the 12v..and also run that into a CC/CV boost/buck converter so i can set and monitor CPC voltage and power

WacKEDmaN

just about done!.. usable now..
i just need to get some wood to make a shelf for the keyboard (ill probably do it at xmas when i visit my dad)

hooked up the speakers and hot glued them on!.. stuck down the gbs and esp and the boost/buck converter down.. tidied up the cables 
made some power extensions for the monitor and 12v in and glued them to the hole i made on the bottom of the box, so i can unplug the power cables from the box with ease...

WacKEDmaN

todays addition.... thanks to a local friend :)

keyboard and case + tape drive + power + speaker/vol
..tall keys with wired connection perfect for the black n gold 464 board...

theres a couple of broken keys, and Del key is missing, but can fix the ctrl and tab keys, the caps lock key is smashed tho..
keys are still useable via the plungers tho

WacKEDmaN

..and now its all together... pity about the missing keys...i glued the ctrl key on as it had a broken plunger, and in the process of fixing the tab key.. i can use the plungers for the missing keys perfectly fine, so its a 100% working keyboard :)

i tested saving and loading from tape, its all working great...the volume pot is a little scratchy, but thats not problem...

i do need to fix the pause button tho... does anyone know how to fix it? or atleast keep it propped up?..