News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Dead spiders in my 6128

Started by Rabs, 18:10, 10 October 22

Previous topic - Next topic

Rabs

Has anyone had a 6128 that looks like it has been left outside? Oddly the case looked OK but the pcb told a different story.

After cleaning up it actually worked.

Still amazed these things work after being in such a state.

So far just one dead ram ic in the upper bank?You cannot view this attachment. You cannot view this attachment. You cannot view this attachment.

BSC

Seems you hosted a spider who was not too keen on cleaning up behind her.
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

Rabs

My first RAM fix.  :)You cannot view this attachment. You cannot view this attachment.

Rabs

Just noticed that I replaced the RAM with a -10. The originals are -12. Does this matter?You cannot view this attachment.

eto

Quote from: Rabs on 23:00, 20 October 22Just noticed that I replaced the RAM with a -10. The originals are -12. Does this matter?
It just means your new RAMs could work at higher clock speeds than the old ones. But that would only be relevant for computers with much higher clock speeds than the CPC.

Rabs

Learnt that when attempting any restore you should clean the power switch first. Prevents those heart stopping moments when the CPC does not power back on.

Before cleaning, and this was enough to sometimes stop the CPC from powering back on.

You cannot view this attachment.

After cleaning 

Rabs

Drive now working. Belt was a mess.

And did not loose the write protect pin  ;)

Rabs

On with the keyboard cleaning and it is a bit dirty.

And some of the springs are rusty. What is the best approach with these?

Animalgril987

Ultrasonic bath should dislodge most of the surface corrosion on those springs.

Rabs

Quote from: Animalgril987 on 18:53, 21 October 22Ultrasonic bath should dislodge most of the surface corrosion on those springs.

Thanks sounds like something I should put on by Christmas list 🙂. Cleaned them best I could and replaced a few of the bad ones.

Think I am done.

Rabs

So, I was not done! Second RAM IC failed during a soak test. Now I understand the value of the soak test in the diagnostics ROM. Fixed and has now been running multiple soak tests over several days and all good.