News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

464 will not load

Started by YRep, 10:36, 23 September 15

Previous topic - Next topic

YRep

Hi all, first time poster here.

Got a 464 that will not load here. Using CTRL+ENTER to get play prompt, then pressing play, the tape will tension up, press any key and the command prompt resets. Have checked inside and deck seems mechanically fine. Can anyone offer any advice please?

Bryce

How do you mean "the prompt resets", does the whole computer reset?

Bryce.

YRep

Hi Bryce

That's exactly it - the whole machine resets, the screen flickers and then I'm presented with the 'Ready' prompt.

Thanks for your reply!

Bryce

Sounds like there's a short circuit in the tape drive. This could be one of the many loose wires that has grounded to the tape drives frame or it could be somewhere inside the motor itself.

Bryce.

YRep

Alright!  I'll take a look inside and see what I can discover (if anything!)  I don't suppose you have a schematic/circuit diagram to hand?  Of course I'll look for one if I need to, but I thought to familiarise myself before I take the 464 apart.

Thanks again.

Bryce

CPC_Fan

Hi and welcome to the forum YRep. Sorry I can't help with your tape loading problem, but you have definitely come to the right place for help and advice. It sounds like you have some knowledge about electronics in general, so I am sure that with the aid of the service manuals that Bryce put up a link to and the electronic/hardware experts on here, you will get it fixed.

leon

thank you.
found the fault and now working!! it was just the wrong power supply they have given us it with 6v 200ma, used 5v2a and all is well

CPC_Fan

Bryce

Be glad that the 6V PSU was only able to supply 200mA, if it had been 6V 2A you would have had a fried/dead CPC!

Bryce.

TFM

Really? By only 1 Volt too much already?  :o :o :o
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

Most TTL chips will already die at 5.4V ! They are ok up to about 5.25, but everything above that really is playing with fire.
On other computers the voltage may not be critical, because the computer regulates the voltage internally, but the CPC has all the regulation in the monitor, so using an alternative PSU means that you are directly supplying the chips and have to keep the voltage as close as possible to 5V.

Bryce.

Edit: This is why I don't recommend switch-mode PSUs on the CPC. It means that there is no linear regulation at all, and not all ICs get on well with a pure switch-mode supply. On computers with internal linear regulation switch-mode isn't as big an issue.

Tai

Quote from: Bryce on 20:26, 23 September 15

Edit: This is why I don't recommend switch-mode PSUs on the CPC. It means that there is no linear regulation at all, and not all ICs get on well with a pure switch-mode supply. On computers with internal linear regulation switch-mode isn't as big an issue.

Then using a PC PSU to power the Amstrad CPC could be dangerous?

Bryce

It depends on the PC PSU. The good ones are extremely well regulated and don't budge from 5V even if the input voltage is all over the place and also don't cause spikes when turned on. Using a cheap old PC PSU could damage the CPC in some situations. The biggest problem with PC PSUs is that they can supply massive amounts of amps, so if something does go wrong, it has the power to completely fry the CPC. If a cheap small 2A PSU gets overloaded from a short or whatever, they go up to 2A but then the voltage starts dropping, minimising the damage they can cause. The PC PSU will supply a lot more amps at 5V before it shuts down, potentially frying tracks / PCB / wires etc.

Bryce.

Tai

I've been using an old PC psu for my CPCs for years and nothing bad happened.
However, considering what you said, I'm going to use an AC/DC adapter (5V 2A) just for peace of mind.

Thank you Bryce.

pelrun

Or you could just add a fuse...

Bryce

For obvious reasons (the fact that I do a lot of hardware experiments on my CPC), I use a Spectrum +3 PSU to power my CPC... Because it's fully fused.

Bryce.