News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

6128 floppy drive capstan motor replacement

Started by SpDizzy, 11:09, 22 July 22

Previous topic - Next topic

SpDizzy

Hi, all. I'm in need of replacement for a broken capstan motor for my 6128 floppy drive, EME-156 A series, MMA. Searching on the internet I found some chances (sorry about external links).
Can I ask for advice about most convennient if any?
I have some I guess simple questions, hard for me due to my lack of knowledge on the topic:

1/ Does it need to be CCW or CW?
2/ What about rpm's? I know spin speed must be on the range, 295 - 305 aprox for a proper disc read. References linked spin on ranges 2000 - 4000. Is there any conversion factor to take into account?

Any suggestions will be more than welcome.

CAPSTAN 1    CAPSTAN 2     CAPSTAN 3

Thanks so much for reading.

Bryce

Hi SpDizzy,
     CAPSTAN 3 looks like it should work ok.

Bryce.

SpDizzy

Thanks so much for support Bryce. Do you know for your huge experience any options? I really don't like buying on this type of sites, but I really don't know where to search. Oppps, I'm just reading your edit now. So CAPSTAN 3 would work. I didn't understand the 'Low Speed' and 'High Speed' pins on that model. Does stand for 2000 rpm (Low Speed), and 4000 (High Speed)? Thanks!

Bryce

I'm not sure what the exact RPM at the motor needs to be. I would guess you need to enable low speed. The important thing it that it has that black dot on the top to adjust the speed within a certain range.

CAPSTAN 1 = Link doesn't work.
CAPSTAN 2 = Is only for 9V.

Bryce.

SpDizzy

Oh, sorry about CAPSTAN 2!! Didn't notice the 9V spec... :picard:
On respect to CAPSTAN 1, link is working for me... but it doesn't have regulator on top for speed adjust.
So I have a winner... CAPSTAN 3 ;D

PD:Just for shake of curiosity Here is CAPSTAN 1 again

Bryce

Just looked at the error message on CAPSTAN 1: Doesn't sell to Germany, so it won't show me the motor at all?

Bryce.

SpDizzy

Oh, sorry about location problem.
Here specs for CAPSTAN 1, as .pdf file (public link to my personal G Drive account).
Images doesn't show top side of the capstan, neither text mentions speed adjust, but a customer has shown some pictures of them...and they have speed adjust hole (IMAGE)
On the other side, all of them has been received broken!! :-\