News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

6128, internal zaxon hxc clone + FD-1

Started by Jwood79, 21:22, 07 December 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Jwood79

Hi,

I'm unsuccessfully attempting to use an FD1 connected via floppy port on my standard 6128 (|b), at the same time as an 'internal usb floppy emulator' hxc clone installed in the 6128 (|a), made by Zaxon.

I'm using this cable:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232145228238?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and here's the floppy emulator:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/the-amstrad-cpc-6128-usb-internal-floppy-emulator-hardware-review!/

Symptoms:
The FD1 works fine when a standard 3" drive is installed in the 6128.  The Zaxon works fine on its own and with the FD1 connected.  When I try and use the FD1 with the Zaxon, I get a solid red light on it when I turn the 6128 on.  I can change to |b ok, but when I CAT, it clucks a few times and makes the 'struggling to read disk' noise before throwing a drive B read error (R,I,C...).  I've also noticed the track read display on the zaxon runs up and down the numbers when I try accessing the FD1.

My thoughts:
The solid red light on the fd1 can't be a good thing.  I'm pretty sure this is something real simple.  Probably one of the following -

1. Wrong cable.  I've read a lot on here about ABBA switches and so forth.  However, it strikes me as odd that the FD1 would work alongside a standard 3" drive with the cable I've got, and not with the Hxc clone.

2. I've got something wrong in the Hxc config file

3. I need to change the jumper config on the Hxc clone.  Sadly the documentation for this thing seems to be non existent!

Does anyone have this setup working?  Any suggestions?  Thanks! :-)

Bryce

I'd usually suggest you ask the creator of the device, but in this case (although he's a member here) he's known NOT to answer any support requests or give even basic support of any kind for his devices. Which is why I recommend people to avoid buying things from him.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Bryce.

IanS

Quote from: Jwood79 on 21:22, 07 December 16
The solid red light on the fd1 can't be a good thing.
This is quite normal, only one drive select signal from the fdc chip is used, so one drive or the other is always selected.
The second drive on a DDI-1 on a 464 does the same thing.

Jwood79

@Bryce - yes, so I've found (haven't had a response yet, anyway...).  Thank you for the welcome!

@IanS right, noted.  That's good to know.

CraigsBar

Check my thread about these clones. Zaxon made a pigs breakfast of the connector so that on a CPC it will always report the same image as both a and b drives. Try it, do not connect the fd1 put a HFE file in drive a cat and note the files.... enter |b to swap to the non existing b drive then cat. Same disk right?

The fix needs one trace to be cut, the missing pin on the header to be replaced, and a short length of wire to connect it up again.

Craig

Edit: I just found my posting with the required fix.

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/index.php?topic=12225.msg132274.msg#132274
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Jwood79

Craig, that's really helpful, thanks.  You're absolutely correct that the zaxon is using both |a and |b.

I'm considering whether to go ahead with this fix (I have fat fingers) or purchase a genuine internal Hxc for the 6128 and relegate the zaxon to my +3.  :)

Cheers.

CraigsBar

Well the fix is quite easy to do. I mean I managed it. The major advantage of the zaxon one is that you can fit it with no case modifications so it can easily be reversed if needed. All other hxc type devices need some case cutting to fit. Not something I was happy doing myself.

roudoudou

just bought one

his CPC motherboard clone seems to be very very nice too

maybe later
My pronouns are RASM and ACE

Bryce

Quote from: roudoudou on 14:06, 30 December 16
just bought one

his CPC motherboard clone seems to be very very nice too

maybe later

I've a fully built CPC Motherboard clone, with all ICs in sockets and some bugs removed for sale if you are interested.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Which bugs did you resolve... Did you make it 5v only, thus saving heat dissipation?

Bryce

No, at the moment it still runs off 12V with polarity being irrelevant, however I increased the value of the inductor and increased the bridge rectifier to a 6A version to give it a better chance of surviving. I updated the Keyboard firmware and added the jumper / pullup resistor that is missing from the circuit and made a converter to allow you to connect a CPC Monitor. There are further improvements that could be made, but I couldn't be bothered. If roudoudou wants, I can convert it back to 5V input as you can still fry eggs on the ridiculously badly designed DC/DC converter.

Bryce.

roudoudou

when i wrote "maybe later" it meant "LATER" so do not wait for me, feel free to sell the card to anyone!
My pronouns are RASM and ACE