News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Plus problem?

Started by ComSoft6128, 14:47, 10 September 21

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

For about a month I've been getting the screen below each time I switch the 6128 Plus on in the morning, switching off/on and everything is back to normal for the rest of the day.
When this screen is displayed a soft reset is not possible.

Any idea what this is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u6srSp9PuE

Shaun M. Neary

RAM on it's way out?
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Bryce

It's a RAM issue. Either the RAM is starting to die or the RAM IC isn't getting a stable supply voltage.

Bryce.

llopis

Quote from: Bryce on 14:58, 10 September 21
It's a RAM issue. Either the RAM is starting to die or the RAM IC isn't getting a stable supply voltage.
I haven't seen that pattern, but I had a similar problem on the Spectrum +3. It was due to the drive using up too much current initially and it was preventing it from starting up correctly.

To check if that's the problem, disconnect the power cable on the drive and try it again (tomorrow I guess) and see if that happens. If so, check if there are some caps holding up the 5V rail that might need replacing.

If you suspect the RAM, you can also run the diagnostics ROM on soak mode and see if that catches anything (although it sounds like you're fine after it warms up).

ComSoft6128

Thanks for the suggestions @llopis but I'm not a hardware guy - if it becomes more of a problem than it is now the Plus will be off to @Bryce !

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 15:29, 10 September 21Thanks for the suggestions @llopis but I'm not a hardware guy - if it becomes more of a problem than it is now the Plus will be off to @Bryce !

I'd actually take Noels advice and open er up and remove the 4 pin molex cable from the disk drive for test purposes.
If you keep using it as is, you could risk further damage to the machine costing you more. Given that there's a major electronic components shortage crisis going on atm, is it worth it for the sake of removing a couple of screws, pressing three clips and disconnecting a cable?

Your call of course. :)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Bryce

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 15:51, 10 September 21

I'd actually take Noels advice and open er up and remove the 4 pin molex cable from the disk drive for test purposes.
If you keep using it as is, you could risk further damage to the machine costing you more. Given that there's a major electronic components shortage crisis going on atm, is it worth it for the sake of removing a couple of screws, pressing three clips and disconnecting a cable?

Your call of course. :)

No, not really. Even if the capacitor got worse or the RAM failed completely, there's a very low chance of it damaging anything further. It's safe to use as long as it boots.

Bryce.

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Bryce on 18:23, 10 September 21No, not really. Even if the capacitor got worse or the RAM failed completely, there's a very low chance of it damaging anything further. It's safe to use as long as it boots. Bryce.

Fair enough but even just to figure out the exact problem, it still wouldn't hurt to disconnect the drive to test, right?

ComSoft6128

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 21:32, 12 September 21

Fair enough but even just to figure out the exact problem, it still wouldn't hurt to disconnect the drive to test, right?

Campbell's First Law of Hardware states:

"Leave hardware problems to people who know EXACTLY what they are doing" ;D

Shaun M. Neary

Laws are meant to be broken. :D

eto

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 08:35, 13 September 21Laws are meant to be broken.

Like the Plus if you do it?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: eto on 11:01, 13 September 21
Like the Plus if you do it?

Given the crap parts used in those machines, that was inevitable anyway.
But seriously, disconnecting the molex cable from the disk drive is highly unlikely to break the entire system.

Bryce

Quote from: Shaun M. Neary on 21:32, 12 September 21

No issue with that. Removing the drives power may solve the issue (for a while).

Bryce.