News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

6128 issues

Started by Juggler, 09:16, 21 August 21

Previous topic - Next topic

Juggler

Hey!

A big nostalgia attack has taken over me recently, so I wanted to check if my 6128 still works with this hardware (nicely customized for me in the 90s by Gostsoft):

[attach=1]
  [attach=2]
  [attach=3] 

First it started successfully with the Ready prompt, but I heard some small buzzing sound from around the speaker, then the power LED went off and nothing happened anymore, also when I switched it off and on again. I opened it and saw this black (mass?) cable laying around:

Guess it would a good idea to mount it at underneath the reset button, right? (Still a total noob in electronics  ;D )

[attach=4]
[attach=5]

Would this solve the issue? Anything more to check for, what do you think?

cheers!
Juggler

Bryce

Hi Juggler,
       that's most likely where the black wire goes, but I doubt it's the ground (Masse) cable, because the other side of the button is also connected to the pause button, so my guess is that the loose black wire comes from the reset pin of the expansion port. If that touches any ground (such as all that metal frame of the disc drive) it would hold the CPC in reset. So re-soldering it back on the button is a good start. It however not be the only issue.

Bryce.

BSC

Quote from: Juggler on 09:16, 21 August 21Guess it would a good idea to mount it at underneath the reset button, right? (Still a total noob in electronics   )

Those pics look like some serious pro-soldering work :) Hope you get it to work.
There are said to be some really knowledgeable folks around here.
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

Juggler

Got it working again. The strange thing is that the RESET Button (where I soldered the black cable to) doesn't work. And the CPC only starts when the ON/OFF-Switch is set to OFF  8) Most of the time using this switch works, sometimes it needs a few seconds until the power LED and the CPC is on ... Any idea?

Cleaned and WD40d the 3" drive and mounted a drive-belt which I found in some 15 year old boxes ... and it works again  :-* Some discs are not readable anymore, sadly. Next step: Get the 5.25"-drive working again, too.

Bryce

The power switch can be put in either way around, so you probably just have it inserted wrong. The slow start is probably due to dirt in the power switch, so open it up and clean it while you're swapping it around.

Bryce.

Juggler

Sadly, things got worse and I don't know why. Now somehow the power switch doesn't start the CPC, the 3" drive makes strange noises and the switches for the additional drives don't seem to work either. And the 5.25" didn't work at all since I grabbed the stuff from the basement (
see video here).

So...

I just wanna send all the stuff to someone who could fix this for me, it's worth it to me. I pay all costs.

Who wants to help me or knows someone??

villain

I met with @Octoate in Rastatt (capital of Bürgersteig-Hochklapping, but we really enjoyed the trip) last weekend. I gave him a non-working 464. Maybe he  would not cared about another 6128 to repair... ;-)

Bryce

You can also send it to me if you like. I'm in Köln.

Bryce.

Juggler

@villain @Octoate Wtf, is anyone of you living in my home town where I'm visiting my parents this weekend (without CPC 😂)?! Then we definitely should meet there (or if you wanna visit Wiesbaden).

@Bryce Let's see what they say, otherwise I send the stuff to you 😊

Bryce

Quote from: Juggler on 23:33, 17 September 21
@villain @Octoate Wtf, is anyone of you living in my home town where I'm visiting my parents this weekend (without CPC 😂)?! Then we definitely should meet there (or if you wanna visit Wiesbaden).

@Bryce Let's see what they say, otherwise I send the stuff to you 😊

I'm kind of jealous that I'm missing an impromptu CPC meeting now :(

Bryce.

villain

Quote from: Juggler on 23:33, 17 September 21

Ich mach das jetzt mal auf Deutsch... Nein, keiner von uns wohnt in RA. Das lag nur günstig für Touren im Pfälzerwald oder Schwarzwald. Es gibt da übrigens einen sensationellen Italiener, Bella Italia in Niederbühl. Vielleicht kommen wir extra dafür nochmal wieder. ;-)

Also, schick das Ding zu @Bryce . Da ist es in besten Händen!