News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

6128 not booting anymore

Started by Shining, 20:11, 31 August 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Shining

My 6128 is not booting anymore. When I turn the CPC on, the welcome message will appear and then the CPC resets, shows the message and so on in an endless loop. Has anyone an idea/suggestion how to fix this ?
TGS is back

Download my productions at:
cpc.scifinet.org

VincentGR

Maybe is the keyboard or Z80 needs to be pressed down or maybe just wait Bryce  ;D

CraigsBar

Do you have any expansions fitted? Are your system ROMs socketed?
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Shining

Sadly, I think I exactly know why the CPC is damaged but not how and where:

I've put an extension at my Mother-X4 not exactly at the right pins (as you may know, these are not idiot (me  ;) ) save).

After that the CPC showed this behaviour.

If the ROMs are socketed, I don't know. I didn't open it for years, it is my main and first CPC and because of that I especially love this one. I've put many things into this CPC, for example ABBA-Switch, Reset-Switch, CPM-Switch, Pause-Switch but I never did something with the chips. So if they are not socketed by default, they are not.
TGS is back

cpc.scifinet.org

Audronic

@Shining

Remove all peripherals, Mother x etc including external floppy drives.
Just the 6128 Power up as normal. Is the fault still there. ?
Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Bryce

It could be a few different parts causing this, but you've definitely damaged either the ROM or some of the TTL logic. Most likely by feeding 5V into any output. Send the board over if you want.

Bryce.

TFM

Sounds like a corrupt lower ROM (or the BASIC or AMSDOS ROM). Yes, Bryce can help.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Bryce

Board just arrived. I'll report back later in the week when I've had a chance to look at it.

Bryce.

Bryce

Ok, a quick round of diagnostics later... 40015 (AMSDOS ROM) has D3 jammed high (not good). I'll put a socket in and replace it with an EPROM.

Bryce.

Shining

Thank you very much. Also for the socket.... ;)

If you want to test it later, please note, that I soldered an ABBA switch to the board and sending it to you I just cut the cables.... Also there are two wires on the Jumper for the CPM-switch (AMSDOS to ROM 0).
TGS is back

cpc.scifinet.org

Bryce

Yes, I discovered that quite quickly, especially as you have also removed LK7 and added wires to that too.

Bryce.

Bryce

All tests completed, your 6128 is back working as it should.

Bryce.

Shining

Wonderful, thank you very much  :) .
TGS is back

cpc.scifinet.org

CraigsBar

Quote from: Shining on 12:12, 05 September 16
Thank you very much. Also for the socket.... ;)

If you want to test it later, please note, that I soldered an ABBA switch to the board and sending it to you I just cut the cables.... Also there are two wires on the Jumper for the CPM-switch (AMSDOS to ROM 0).
What is the advantage of amsdos in slot 0. Surely the machine don't boot then?

Bryce

Quote from: CraigsBar on 21:39, 05 September 16

It boots directly to CP/M when you have the right disk inserted.

Bryce.

Duke

Quote from: CraigsBar on 21:39, 05 September 16
Autoboots CPM when in slot 0.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Duke on 21:43, 05 September 16
Autoboots CPM when in slot 0.
Really? Have to try that lol.

TotO

Require a special jumper set on the mainboard, if I'm not wrong?!
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

TFM

You are right. Just cut a metal wire on the PCB (or add a switch). Also putting FutureOS ROM A in slot 0 will cause autoboot of it. And cutting LK seven just "moves" AMSDOS from slot 7 to 0.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Audronic

Quote from: Shining on 12:12, 05 September 16

.... Also there are two wires on the Jumper for the CPM-switch (AMSDOS to ROM 0).
Do You have link to the detail for this CPM Modification Please.

Thanks    Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Shining

Here is a description of the LKs on the CPC-Mainboard:

LK Links - CPCWiki

The CPM-one is LK7. When you cut it AMSDOS is switched to ROM0 and autoboots CPM.

I did this modification as a child as it had also the advantage that some games (e.g. Gauntlet) auto booted with this modification....
TGS is back

cpc.scifinet.org

Shining

For those who are interested just to list all modifications to my 6128 I found useful back then:

• Reset-Switch
  • Pause-Switch (Z80-Halt on Expansion-Port)
  • ABBA-Switch
  • CPM-Switch
  • Switching manufacturer from Schneider to Amstrad
  • Replacing the internal Speaker with two external ones (Internal CPC amplifier did handle this)
TGS is back

cpc.scifinet.org