News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

6128 Plus azerty qwerty and ROM question

Started by Shining, 14:05, 04 March 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Shining

I'm hoping to get my first plus machine ever this month  :) .
Since it is a french azerty-one, the question for me (besides the real keys on the keyboard) is if I'll be able to get the querty firmware to run by using an X-MEM.
( As I understood, the X-MEM can replace every rom except the amsdos)
TGS is back

Download my productions at:
cpc.scifinet.org

Bryce

The Firmware is in the cartridge, so you won't need even need an x-mem to do it. Just burn the UK Firmware to an EPROM and swap the one in the cartridge or get yourself an original English Cartridge.

Bryce.

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 14:35, 04 March 15
The Firmware is in the cartridge, so you won't need even need an x-mem to do it. Just burn the UK Firmware to an EPROM and swap the one in the cartridge or get yourself an original English Cartridge.

Bryce.

Ain't that easy, the French keyboard is connected differently (number) IIRC. Or do I mix things up here?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

ZbyniuR

Before you find way to change ROM you can use my program to change map of keyboard. :)

Line 10 - guessing from what country is your CPC
40 - change map AZERTY into QWERTY
50 - change french characters into original ASCII
70 - change map QWERTY into AZERTY
80 - change original ASCII into french characters
100-110  show map keys normal, shift and control

Everybody can use parts of this program without asking.
If someone need other language or keys map let me know. :)
In STARS, TREK is better than WARS.

CraigsBar

Quote from: TFM on 19:24, 04 March 15

Ain't that easy, the French keyboard is connected differently (number) IIRC. Or do I mix things up here?
You mix that up I am afraid. I had a french 6128plus (It's now in a certain Laptop Project) and I used htat with Querty Keybaord and UK Cart with no problems whatsoever.

The only difference is the symbols on the keys and the cart.

Craig
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Bryce

Quote from: TFM on 19:24, 04 March 15

I think what you're thinking of is the EXTREMELY ANNOYING fact that you need to press shift to get the numbers at the top on a French Plus keyboard. Boy is that annoying, what idiot came up with that great idea!!?? Luckily swapping the EPROM solves that too though.

Bryce.

TFM

Right Bryce! That's what I had in mind. But if ROM swapping solves that too - Great!  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

Shining

Thanks @all for your hints. Due to lack of an eeprom-programmer and then only owning ONE cartridge I think I'll wait for geralds cartridge replacement or get an additional cartridge to experiment with.

But at first I'll try the tool from ZbyniuR.

TGS is back

Download my productions at:
cpc.scifinet.org

TFM

Both good ideas.  :)

Maybe you are lucky and find another cart (english) cheap somewhere meanwhile. That should fix everything.
TFM of FutureSoft

CraigsBar

Quote from: Shining on 11:15, 05 March 15
Thanks @all for your hints. Due to lack of an eeprom-programmer and then only owning ONE cartridge I think I'll wait for geralds cartridge replacement or get an additional cartridge to experiment with.

But at first I'll try the tool from ZbyniuR.
I can burn and replace the EPROM in your cart if you want?
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Bryce

I may have a spare one, I'll check at the weekend.

Bryce.

Bryce

@Shining : I've found a spare cartridge.... It's a bit battered, yellowed and opened, but it's complete and I assume it works. I'm not sure what's on the EPROM (French AMSDOS as far as I know), but I can re-program it to UK if you are interested. Send me a PM.

Bryce.