General Category > Hardware related

6128 plus problems (keyboard and floppy drive)

(1/7) > >>

Loupingre:
Hi everyone :)

I've bought some days ago a CPC 6128+ on ebay with technicals issues : keyboard problem and floppy drive not working.
As I've already repair my 6128 floppy drive (changing the belt), I was confident to be able to fix these 2 issues (as I've also read the NR02 solution for the 6128+ keyboard).
At the first start, I saw indeed the keyboard problem : keys y u i o h j k l n , ; and SPACE were not working (all the others were ok, and key combinations works, like soft reset). And the floppy drive was not working at all : no led light).

So, the first thing to do was to clean the dust inside the CPC (there was a lot), and see if there were any chemical leaks from capacitors.After that, I've removed the old belt (it was awful) from the floppy drive, cleaned everything and replace the belt.I also removed the NR02 resistors and try a new test : no luck, no led light and still the keyboard problem.

I 've decided to clean the membrane connectors (with isopropyl alcool), clean the connectors (with a thick piece of paper), but still problem occur with the keys. So It was time to open the keyboard and take a look inside. And I've quickly found the problem : there is a hole between the "]" and the "è" keys :(

And from the membrane side (sorry for the tablecloth colors ^^) :

2 conductive tracks are badly damaged :( I've tried to fix them with 2 small tin strands but it's not working.I'm not realy sure if it's fixable, but if you have some advices, I'll take them ;)

I've also searched on Internet to see if new CPC 6128+ membranes can be found, but I've found nothing :(
Oh, I haven't found either the problem with the floppy drive : the 5V is present on the floppy connector but I didn't look for more.

eto:
Silver conductive paint can be used to repair broken tracks on the membrane

This guy shows it on a normal PC keyboard, but it's probably the same on the CPC:

https://youtu.be/tJXRhR-7YNM?t=197

Loupingre:
Thxs for your answer :)
I'm not sure if this solution can be used : the hole goes through the membranes :( I don't know if sticky conductive tracks exist but it can be the right thing to do.

eto:

--- Quote from: Loupingre on 08:50, 14 June 21 ---Thxs for your answer :)
I'm not sure if this solution can be used : the hole goes through the membranes :( I don't know if sticky conductive tracks exist but it can be the right thing to do.

--- End quote ---

On a German forum someone recommended to repair the cracked  part at the connector of the membrane with a piece of Tape and then use the silver to replicate the tracks on this piece of tape. Not sure if that could be an option here.

Loupingre:
I've tried to remake the 2 missing tracks by adding some very thin metal wires.

Here ares the membranes holes :

And my test repair :

It's slightly better - I've got some letters back - but not all of them => è ! y u h j n SPACE are still missing :(
I'm not sure if it's totally fixable and reliable ... Do you know if it's possible to buy membranes somewhere ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version