News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

6128 Plus Tape mod (beginner)

Started by mrbee, 14:35, 27 April 23

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbee

I am trying to figure out doing the tape mod for my 6128 plus.
I have seen the info and guide here  DIY Plus Tape Socket - CPCWiki and here  CPCRULEZ > AMSTRAD CPC > > HARDWARE > MONTAGES > CPC 6128 Plus - Tape Upgrade (3/3) (Amstrad Action).

I understand that for the parts I need a 1k resistor (have that) , the transistor is ordered, and the header for location CP07 (using one for an arduino is fine as I can use the cable with the connector ends on them for it). The trouble I am having is just understanding the guide where it is talking about a relay and a din connector.
So just here to ask if anyone has a link to the 5 pin din connector they used, and especially the relay as I know it is a 5v one, but there are many many different types and just want to get the right one.
Thank you :)

Bryce

The transistor, resistor and relay are only needed if you want the CPC to remotely start and stop the tapedeck motor. If you don't need this, you don't need the components either.

Bryce.

mrbee

Hello Bryce, thank you for replying!

I do need them as I am connecting them to a Matsui Data Cassette Recorder which has a DIN socket.
I have found a relay here  5V / 12V / 24V Mini Songle Relay SPDT 5-Pins PCB - 1st Class | eBay would this one be ok?

and also the transistor  2SC1815 General Purpose Amplifier NPN Transistor UK Seller | eBay, just a question here, I understand that this transistor (the 2sc1815) does NOT need the pins swapped, but the replacement as per the guide (2n3904) this one DOES need the pins swapped?

Thank you again

Bryce

Quote from: mrbee on 11:13, 29 April 23Hello Bryce, thank you for replying!

I do need them as I am connecting them to a Matsui Data Cassette Recorder which has a DIN socket.
I have found a relay here  5V / 12V / 24V Mini Songle Relay SPDT 5-Pins PCB - 1st Class | eBay would this one be ok?

and also the transistor  2SC1815 General Purpose Amplifier NPN Transistor UK Seller | eBay, just a question here, I understand that this transistor (the 2sc1815) does NOT need the pins swapped, but the replacement as per the guide (2n3904) this one DOES need the pins swapped?

Thank you again

Hi Mrbee,
       even with a tapedeck with DIN connector, you can choose to ignore the remote signals and start and stop the tape manually. For most single load games this is completely irrelevant. The automatic start and stop is only really useful for games that load in sections, such as Gauntlet, that stop and then restart the tape to load the next level. With the transistor you are correct. If you get an original Japanese transistor (2SC) then you don't need to swap the pins.

Bryce.

mrbee

Just one thing that I am trying to understand is the 5v relay, I bought one (ebay link above) and all seems ok with it except it has one pin less, on the guide its showing a relay with 6 pins (3 on top, 3 on bottom) 

but my relay has 2 on top and 3 at the bottom. Just wondering if you knew what the difference would be or which one it should wire to? I am hoping to make a simple step by step video install once ive got it done to help anyone like me with only a general knowledge. thank you

Bryce

To propoerly answer you (ie: not guessing), I'd need the part number or a picture of the relay. It's possibly just a single throw relay instead of double throw.

Bryce.

mrbee

It looks exactly like this, and on the front is printed srd-05vdc-scl-c , the only difference is that it doesnt have the two number 8 embossed at the back

Bryce

mrbee

Im gonna have to do some research on this i think, literally still have no clue what pins to connect wires from to the din socket and the amstrad  ??? or why the guide is saying to cut away some of the pins, but the others just cut them slightly, yet only using two of the pins for the remote on the relay to the din socket. If only someone had a picture of what they did, rather than follow these diagrams 

Bryce

mrbee

Thank you for this, i will have a go at it this week. I have all the components now apart from the 5 pin DIN cable! I know I can't use a MIDI cable which looks the same, I have seen some on ebay for an Acorn but they don't have the remote capability to turn the cassette on and off.

Do you know where I can get a suitable din cable? thank you

mrbee

Actually I think I have found one here  5 PIN DIN 180° PLUG to PLUG LEAD - AUDIO or ACORN & AMSTRAD COMPUTER to CASSETTE | eBay
It says on an ACORN that the remote wont work, but I presume it would for an Amstrad. Going to wire it up ready now and see if the relay clicks when I set the 6128 to run itself in tape mode and press run.

mrbee

Just to try and make head and tail of it... I am totally stuck on the guide and am trying to make one (and complete the mod) I have uploaded some pictures to try and make my own wiring guide, but the hurdle I am stuck on is that there are two different pin arrangements for pin header CP07.
Which one is the correct one to use?

And the DIN diagram, I am not sure which way round it is supposed to be facing so I have made a diagram of the BACK of the socket. Bryce, I have also added your diagram of the relay, would you be so kind as to let me know which pin arrangement is correct, and also would you have time to draw lines from the pins of cp07 to the pins on the relay and the din socket? It would be a huge help if you could! I am at below n00b level on understanding this mod  :picard2:

Thank you very much
https://imgur.com/gallery/gAZr9TP

mrbee

Just to update this, I have completed the mod! I will update the image one day to show how it's wired. The relay clicks when it should when loading from a tape, but I am unable to get an audio signal as I suspect that the pinout of the tape player I have is not matching the pinout expected for the amstrad din socket. I don't have time at the moment to test each pin of the player and swap things around with the cable. 
So I had fitted a simple audio jack input next to the din socket and this works just fine and the 6128plus now loads from my phone or from the jack output of the tape player