General Category > Hardware related

Amstrad 6128 plus CPC 6128 plus does not start

<< < (2/3) > >>

flufduff:
Hi Bryce, Morri and Craigsbar!

Thanks a lot for your quick and kind replies. Craigsbar, yes, that's been the schematic that I had briefly seen, and of course I meant 7805, I've just been too tired yesterday.
And your explanation has been very helpful to ease my wondering and disbelief. :-)

-

Actually, the machine boots quite reliably now. If not, a little reseating of the ROM does help. And yes, I'm quite happy.

Yesterday (after the second post) still was a bit troublesome: When I went into BASIC the first time, it would show random keystrokes, apparently also from the Joystick. So I thought I might have got the error that was mentioned in other posts on this site... but then, I decided to look between the keyboard films - because I had really had everything in the shower, with soap, due to the insect invasion. I found that water had got in between, so I opened them up, dried them, and thereafter the random keystrokes were gone. :-) :-) I had overlooked the water when first reviewing the keyboard after the cleanse.

The other thing is, it has a flaky f1 key. Apparently, asking to press f1 just after startup, took its toll. If I find it sufficiently annoying, I will try to fix this - about 2 decades ago, I had a laptop whose keyboard films went bad notoriously and got some practicing on this with a pencil and silver paint...

Finally... Hmpf, it has a French keyboard. Naturally, because I picked it up there. But whoever designed that must have been in ... a different state of mind, I guess. :-)
I know that I can reprogram the keyboard, or get another ROM, or possibly download and burn one or so. But not now.

I've typed in a few little BASIC programs already, playing around with colors and sound - just nonsense - and knowingly without a means to save later on. But merely switching the inks gave the same feelings back to me that I remember I had when doing so these many years ago. I even remembered some of the colors I had prefered back then, like 15 for orange on black in mode 2 etc. I felt it's quite astounding how exactly such ... emotions? impressions? perceptions? ... can be reproduced by a certain sight / impression (it includes the timing, the computing noise in the speaker, the screen updates, of course), after so many years. ... And even though it's so way behind anything a modern machine can do - it still makes it clear, that it is a *generic* toy, i.e. it's not completely defined or restricted so much in advance as to what it can do - and it lives on it's user's phantasy - and this can be seen from the first little programs. Or when you type cat and the floppy motor starts running - as a placeholder for any one action in the "real" mechanical world triggered merely by some program stuff.

Ok. Semiphilosophic mode off. :-)

-

Now, I will probably fix the drive, add a tape port (adding cables...), and get the old homecomputer software case here or get the new machine there some time.
It will take me a lot of time to do that, however - cause I don't come near the software soon. And if I do, I actually don't know whether I would want to take it, cause it's in a house, with people, that belong to the time where it came from (with the cpc 464 by the way, too), and I've got a strange feeling considering taking that setting apart (again). - Will see.

-

Thats as much as I can write now. - I also wish you a lot of joy with your machines - it's astounding (looking around on ebay) how currently the interest in homecomputers from back then seems to return in so many people at the same time...

Kind regards again, Fluffduff

Bryce:
Does the drive spin / LED go on? Or is it completely dead?

Bryce.

CraigsBar:

--- Quote from: flufduff on 00:15, 31 October 14 ---Now, I will probably fix the drive, add a tape port (adding cables...), and get the old homecomputer software case here or get the new machine there some time.
It will take me a lot of time to do that, however - cause I don't come near the software soon. And if I do, I actually don't know whether I would want to take it, cause it's in a house, with people, that belong to the time where it came from (with the cpc 464 by the way, too), and I've got a strange feeling considering taking that setting apart (again). - Will see.

--- End quote ---
Do you want a full set of the components needed to add the Tape interface? It needs a relay (for the remote) an 8 pin header and connector some wire and a couple of other bits and bobs. I fitted it to one of my 6128plus's earlier this year and it is really easy. I had to buy the parts in multiple numbers so have several of each (Up to 99 for the resistor) left over, if you want me to put you together a kit of the parts just ask and I'll put one together.

Craig

flufduff:
Hi Bryce

Thanks for your reply again. The drive is ok I think - one LED is continuously lit (think some sensor to find if a disk is in, or sense the sector 0 mark or so), and if I say "CAT", the motor spins.

The ... rubber... rope... ribbon... ah: belt, however, has been complete ... marmelade :-) If I have a bit of time, I'll put something else in. When my original CPC belt died (probably more than a decade ago), I found that I could use very very normal household rubber rings of a certain size and use them as a perfect replacement. They cost pennies, and worked, so later on I started to shake my head when I saw the guys on ebay selling a single belt for 6 Euros... I've seen this newer drive has a slim belt though, but I may be able to find something in a box with tape drive belts :-)

Your question can almost motivate me to check immediately - but I should rather go to sleep. And - I don't have *any* 3" media here with me, I think, so I would probably not be able to test the drive completely anyway. But the head looks fine.

I've also got a printer and a cable from ebay - so I could try printing, too - but not today. (And I need some replacement ribbon, or color refill anyway.)

As I said - I'm quite confident that everything else will work. I would have been disappointed, if the machine had been dead all over - because it cost me some Euros, some a stressful travel experience, and time to clean it and try to make it work - but right now, I'm quite happy as it is. Actually, I could sit in front of it, turn it off and on and enjoy the yellow-blue start screen every time it appears. :-)
Ok, that's probably problematic for someone who should be grown up. But it's not merely about that machine. It's about *everything*, and the machine brings one particle of the "everything" from back then to today. You probably know what I mean :-)

At least, turning it on, does neither mean immediate information overload nor being stressed to work. I often said I wished back the computers where you could understand down to the bits what they did if necessary, and that could not operate faster than I could think. Like compilers that gave you a pause of just the right size - not so short as to keep you busy and stressed all the time, and not so long to make debugging runs too lengthy...

Oh you see, the old machine keeps dragging me off topic.

I'm also considering doing some case-colour-revival I've read about once, but think I won't have the time to do that soon.

Kind regards, Fluffduff

flufduff:
Hi Craig

That's indeed very nice of you, thanks. I've already seen the schematic for the relay (I think it made me find this site the last time) before I picked up the machine.

Normally, I should have relays, transistors and connectors available. I should actually use them from my own supply - in order to make that shrink rather than grow.

Still if I should not find the parts, I might ask you again. - The other thing is, just like the disks, the tapes in question are all at home (And there should even be a tape recorder with a remote in, that hasn't been used for tens of years...). - It comes to my mind that connecting the relay to some parallel or joystick input pin on a peecee and the cpc tape to the peecee sound jack would make a nice replacement tape on hard disk. Probably somebody has already done that...

But the most important thing is time. See, I must work tomorrow from 8:00 till literally open end, and open end might be Monday morning. It's very difficult to put the machine away without switching it on, being happy about the  blue screen and playing with basic programs again... so if you guys keep suggesting new topics to me all the time, that's indeed very nice, but it won't improve my sleep deficit!!!! :-) ;-)

You know, this old stuff is a very infectious disease for my real life time management...

Kind regards, Fluffduff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version