Amstrad CPC 464 bought as parts, how do I restore?

Started by betpet, 14:26, 07 June 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

I assume you've cleaned/sanded the connector too, because it's in a state in that picture!

Bryce.

betpet

The new one?  I replaced it with one straight out of the packet.  You're right though, the original was filthy.  I've binned it.
Old Amstrad CPC 6128 owner. New Amstrad CPC 464 and 6128 owner. Getting back the love!

betpet

Oh, am I misunderstanding?  You mean the one from the power source?  I've cleaned that up.  It's not perfect but the connection should be clean enough to get something to come through.
Old Amstrad CPC 6128 owner. New Amstrad CPC 464 and 6128 owner. Getting back the love!

betpet

As an update, I picked up a 6128 last week. Nothing on that machine too.  I figured it's too much coincidence that I'm getting nothing whatsoever on two machines and the 6128 seems to be in excellent condition and was just a little dusty.  Anyway, I grabbed a couple of power sources from coolnovelties.co.uk (the same place I got my scart converter from for the output) and they arrived this morning.

I plugged in the 5v and no response either. I tried the 5v on the 6128 and the power light lit up.  Conclusion?  My MP2 isn't working either.  Aaaargh!  But at least I can get voltages on the board now. I suspected this may have been the problem as I was getting nothing from anywhere on the board.

I've not tried the 6128 any further than the power light lights up so I'll put an update up when I have one.  Regarding the 464 again, what voltages should I be looking for on the board?

betpet

Further update, the 6128 works by the look of it. I tested using my cable from coolnovelties.co.uk and it was in black and white.  Turns out I needed to put the power directly into the adaptor in the cables to fix that.  I'll need to test it more thoroughly but it looks promising that it fully works.  I plan on installing a replacement GOTEK usb disc drive thing (stop me if I get too scientific).  I'm a happy chappy on that score, now I need to work out what's wrong with the 464...

VintageAdvantage

Quote from: betpet on 08:52, 08 July 20
I plugged in the 5v and no response either. I tried the 5v on the 6128 and the power light lit up.  Conclusion?  My MP2 isn't working either.  Aaaargh!  But at least I can get voltages on the board now. I suspected this may have been the problem as I was getting nothing from anywhere on the board.
I thought we suggested in the 2nd reply that got that you should check it... and you said you did... well glad you are getting closer.  Sometimes people forget to turn on the power switch on the CPC also  ;) Maybe you mistook the 0.5 mV reading from the multimeter for 5 V?  When fixing things, it is always best to start with the least intrusive checks first. Rather than starting to unsolder and replace things, make sure you have checked everything else first.