News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

amstrad cpc 6128 drive motor repair

Started by bassistas, 21:11, 28 November 21

Previous topic - Next topic

bassistas

Hi guys, I have an Amstrad CPC 6128 with a green screen which is working excellent except the 3-inch drive. Both motors are working but I get a disc read failed error when I type cat. I noticed this hole covered with rubber on the top of the motor and I tried to put a screwdriver inside in order to see if I can recalibrate it but I didn't feel any screw inside. It went all the way down and maybe this damaged the motor as it now produces a squeaky sound and seems to rotate at a lower speed. is there any way to disassemble the motor and look inside what has been damaged? or do I need to find a replacement?

pelrun

Oof, you did what I did once upon a time - ripped the potentiometer off inside the motor can. Fixing that is extremely non-trivial - I've done it but I couldn't reasonably talk anyone else through it; I also never got the lid back on the can afterwards.

Unless you *already* have DSKTEST running and showing you that the motor speed is off, it doesn't make any sense to poke at that pot - after all, you won't know when it's set correctly even if you do manage to adjust it.

Bryce

Yup, it looks like you destroyed the motor. The screwdriver should have been 2mm wide at most. It may be repairable, but it's a difficult job and requires special tools.

Bryce.

bassistas

I have access to special tools, I have a friend who is an electronics technician so now I just need to find how to open this motor and look inside to see what exactly happened. are there any tutorials available?

Bryce

The top metal cap is crimped on, it just needs to be popped off. However, the motor brushes are mounted on the inside of the cap, so you will need a brush seperator to put the cap back on after you have completed the repair, otherwise you'll destroy the brushes.

Bryce.