News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

MP2 Clean up and refurbish

Started by betpet, 13:14, 27 June 20

Previous topic - Next topic

betpet

As well as cleaning up and repairing my 464, I think I need to clean up my MP2. I've opened it up and it looks a little dirty, nothing some good old fashioned hard work won't fix.  The parts looks fine on initial visual inspection but the connector cables look worse for wear.  The 5v power connector was filthy and I've cleaned it up (see pics).  Is there anything I can use to get inside and try and clean up inside it?  If not, what can I replace it with?  It's clear that it's just a cable with a couple of internal wires soldered to the board but I have no idea what I'm looking for to replace it.  I'd rather not buy a connector and cut up the existing wire if I can help it. I'd rather replace the lot (wire and connector) than fudge it.  Also, the 12v connector looks clean inside although the actual connector is filthy.  Any idea what I'd replace that with if it came to it? It's different to the one on the 464/6128 itself but it's similar and clearly has different size/voltage/amps to consider too.

All help is greatly appreciated :)
Old Amstrad CPC 6128 owner. New Amstrad CPC 464 and 6128 owner. Getting back the love!

llopis

I'm not familiar with the MP2, but that looks like a standard DC jack 5.2mm. I doubt you need to change it. Give it a good scrub on the outside, and if you have to, put some contact cleaner, connect it to something (WITHOUT POWER) and rotate it, take it out, clean it, repeat a few times. That should take care of the inside and make sure it makes good contact. Make sure it's really dry before connecting it and powering it up.

betpet

I seem to be getting power from the connector.  Am I reading this right and it's telling me I'm getting around 10v? I thought this was meant to put out 5v through there.

I'll try and get hold of some pipe cleaners or something to clean the jack :)
Old Amstrad CPC 6128 owner. New Amstrad CPC 464 and 6128 owner. Getting back the love!