News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Amstrad CPC 6128 Disc drive read fail

Started by SpDizzy, 17:47, 05 April 20

Previous topic - Next topic

SpDizzy

Yes, another 3" drive read fail. I know this had been asked thousands of times on forum, sorry for that. But could not find a solution yet to my problem.

Whenever I type "cat" command, motor sounds, drive spins, drive led blinks.. but all the time "Drive A: read fail  Retry, Ignore or Cancel" message.

Keep retrying and same error  message. Looks like track 0 could not be found. May the guider on the worm drive be misaligned or misplaced? In that case, does it's screw act as an azimut that could be recalibrated?

Please, see attached video for a better explanation (far beyond my non-native language limitations)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ayOrOv21jPqrr3UOXS-NDFuvWXXlASmF/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks so much for your help guys,

Bryce

That could be the issue, but first...
- Has the head been cleaned?
- Has the RPM speed been calibrated?
- Have any dry joints on the PCB been repaired?

After all these have been done, it could as you suggest be an alignment issue, but it's the least likely problem.

Bryce.

SpDizzy

Thanks so much for your response Bryce, really appreciate.

- Yes, the head had been cleaned
- RPM not calibrated. Just one drive and no casette deck, so I guess no way to do this since M4 Board deactivates disk drive, is this correct?
- No dry joints repaired apparently. At least not by me.

Please let me better explain the situation of the drive.

It worked 3 weeks ago or so, and then stops to work with a "Bad Command" message.
I did head cleaning and apply some grease on disc worm because it was not turning at all.

Now it turns as video shows, but error message "Drive A: read fail Retry, Ignore or Cancel.

In case of alignment issue, how to proceed for realignment?
I'm starting to think I caused the issue with the greased process.

Thanks,

vasilisk

Did you try various discs? Both original and copy?

SpDizzy

Yes, various disc had been tested. Same problem.

Some improvement by the way @bryce: RPM speed calibrated from M4 Board thanks to amazing DskTest tool by @pacomix gloriously  ported to ROM by @TFM.
300.57 RPM

Head cleaned, RPM calibrated, no dry joints on PCM.
I bet all my earnings to an alignment issue, probably caused by a clumsy manipulation during disc worm greasing process.

How to realign then? Turning the guider screw I guess...
Anti clockwise the guide turns freely from the worm. Clockwise gets firmly attached to it, spinning together.
Does the screw needs a clear, neatly specific position to be aligned?

CanonMan

Just out of interest, what is the purpose of the collar on the worm shaft?

SpDizzy

Quote from: CanonMan on 22:49, 05 April 20
Just out of interest, what is the purpose of the collar on the worm shaft?
I want to believe is the guider screw. In case you need to realign the guide

SpDizzy

Quote from: vasilisk on 21:40, 05 April 20
Did you try various discs? Both original and copy?
Had seen your thread @vasilisk about same problem: "CPC 6128 floppy drive alignment". You did great success, so trial-error is really a possibility. Anything to take into account for the adventure?

vasilisk

Quote from: SpDizzy on 23:59, 05 April 20
Anything to take into account for the adventure?

Yes. LUCK.  ;D .
First of all the allignment problem I had was caused by me because I messed with the screw without knowing. I am no expert in cpc hardware and I dont know if drive "looses" alignment by itself.
Before doing anything, I replaced the belt, greased the shaft (and any other moving part), cleaned the head thorougly.
I was fortunate to have a second working drive and I observed movement and position at loading times. Then I tried. If you try, make sure you do it with original content disc.

Then check with RPM software. Mine was 294.5

Bryce

Quote from: Novabug on 00:00, 02 July 20
I have the same issue.

https://youtu.be/IQtPk-Z_ZvE

That needs to be calibrated (or any of the other points mentioned above).

Bryce.

Novabug

Yeah, I got it fixed shortly after posting this. Manually moved the worm out with power off, dusted the sensor, switched on a ping! back to perfect!