News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Analogue stick conversion

Started by Curlypaul, 22:59, 22 May 22

Previous topic - Next topic

Curlypaul

So I've got this old Quickshot stick hanging around around and the only thing I've got I can plug it into is my GX4000. It's got auto fire, and a switch for apple compatibility mode. The resistors top out at at 165kohms, which seems workable.

I've read the wiki, and if I'm understanding correctly, I can remove that entire pcb and wire the pots and fire buttons to the cable as per the amstrad pin out? No other components required?

Why? Well I might make some software that uses it

WacKEDmaN

that board looks like it just has the circuitry for the autofire...(555timer chip!)

i dont see why it wouldnt on other CPCs.. GX4000 is just a glorified (or is that bastardised?!) CPC+...unless im missing something!

Curlypaul

Yeah as far sa I'm aware this is the same as a 464 with no keyboard nor tape deck.

Cool, well I'll trim this pcb off tonight and see if works. I sense a schmup or something in the works

eto

Do you want to connect it to the analogue joystick port of the GX4000?

Then be careful, 5V and GND are switched compared to the PC standard. 
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Connector:Analogue_joystick_(CPC_Plus_only)

Curlypaul

Quote from: eto on 10:54, 23 May 22Do you want to connect it to the analogue joystick port of the GX4000?

Then be careful, 5V and GND are switched compared to the PC standard.
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Connector:Analogue_joystick_(CPC_Plus_only)

I do, and I plan to just trim all those wires and rewire according to the diagram in the wiki.

The fire buttons seem to be the same button at present, but I can hopefully fix that too

Curlypaul

I've been foiled by the lack of wires in there, seems the fire button would be button 2, and its lacking the separate signal wire.

Undeterred, I've ordered a db15 socket

Curlypaul

Working! 
Not sure I have a way to distinguish the fire buttons, but I get the full range of values from the stick. 

It's an inexpensive item if anyone fancies doing it themselves, and I'm sure smarter people could figure out how to wire up the auto fire, but until there is something to play with it, I'll live without it.