CPC 464 SCART Cable doubts & Restoration CPC Keys [Pag. 4]

Started by G40rocket, 23:52, 30 April 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryce

Yup, that's what I use too. You can even get it on Amazon (for twice the price) if it's not available in your country.

Bryce.

a7mag3ddon

Now I just need a how to "remove the keys from your 6128" guide

Bryce

Slide a flat rigid piece of plastic (plastic knife) under each key and gently lever them off.

However, I'm not sure what effect Retrobrite would have on coloured plastic, it's also a bleaching process, so it may give very strange results. It's only really been tried on biege/white plastic up to now as far as I know.

Bryce.

seanb

Quote from: a7mag3ddon on 19:55, 08 May 15
LoL. Sure. Superdrug : Jerome Russell Bblonde 40 vol 12% peroxide. £1.69 for 75ml. Or Morrison's £1.89.

Use exact same as retrobrite.

Thanks. I'll try that  :D
Thou shall not question Captain Wrong!

a7mag3ddon

Yea Bryce I thought the keys were supposes to be grey? Mine are dark yellow/ brownish.

Bryce

Ah, it's a 6128. I'm confusing threads :D In another thread someone had just mentioned a 464 with off-colour keys.

Bryce.

G40rocket

♣♣ Just a little off topic here ♣♣

So, after some days of sun and some hours of restoration i finally finished my CPC 464 job !!

Here it's the original condition when i received the computer at home:

Please pay attention to the keys condition specially the blue ones..

The initiation of treatment with "retrobright" or hair cream peroxide 40 Vol:

The original metal keyboard support had a lot of rust so I tried sanding and painted with matt black.

After cleaning each individual key here it's the final result and look the blue keys difference !

My phone camera is only 2MP so the quality isn't very good but the key color now looks AWESOME !

Like new !!

♥♥♥ AWESOME ♥♥♥
[/b]

a7mag3ddon

Looks real nice however I don't believe its the sun that does it, I put all my 6128 key caps into a plastic tub after painting and left in a warm pan for 4 hrs and got this... 

EgoTrip

Are you sure you didn't cheat and use a time machine to go back to 1985?

Carnivius

I may have to do this with my 464 too!  And my Amiga 1200.   To have them looking all shiny brand new again would be awesome. :)
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

a7mag3ddon

Forget retrobright Bblonde 40 vol 12% off the shelf £1.68 a bottle

chinnyhill10

Quote from: a7mag3ddon on 21:17, 24 May 15
Forget retrobright Bblonde 40 vol 12% off the shelf £1.68 a bottle

Indeed. Here's my recent write up.

Adventures With Retrobrite
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

a7mag3ddon

You need to change it, its 40 VOL (that's the thickness) and 12% hydrogen peroxide.

G40rocket

AWESOME PEOPLE !  ;D

Gryzor

Quote from: Bryce on 20:03, 08 May 15
Yup, that's what I use too. You can even get it on Amazon (for twice the price) if it's not available in your country.

Bryce.

It's *impossible* for it to not be available in some country. Maybe a different brand name, but even if it's not sold at the super market you can *always* walk into a beauty/hair salon and off you go with 2L of the stuff.

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 17:00, 07 June 15

It's *impossible* for it to not be available in some country. Maybe a different brand name, but even if it's not sold at the super market you can *always* walk into a beauty/hair salon and off you go with 2L of the stuff.

The Bblonde stuff isn't just a bottle peroxide. It's ready mixed Retrobrite with all the right ingredients mixed for you. There may be equivalents in other countries, but I haven't found anything close enough yet.

Bryce.

a7mag3ddon

Agree with Bryce, Bblonde is fantastic, cheap and readily available in Superdrug, morisons, boots, suoersavers to name a few.

I bought 1 small bottle for £1.69 and did my entire 6128 keyboard.

Gryzor

Quote from: Bryce on 08:36, 08 June 15
The Bblonde stuff isn't just a bottle peroxide. It's ready mixed Retrobrite with all the right ingredients mixed for you. There may be equivalents in other countries, but I haven't found anything close enough yet.

Bryce.

From what I had asked a hairdresser a long time ago (what one does for retro machines...:D ) the blonding (is that a word?) stuff they use nowadays are not just peroxide, indeed they're a mix of stuff including (of course) peroxide. No idea about the specifics though, to be honest. What else does Bblonde has?

chinnyhill10

Quote from: Gryzor on 10:06, 08 June 15

From what I had asked a hairdresser a long time ago (what one does for retro machines... :D ) the blonding (is that a word?) stuff they use nowadays are not just peroxide, indeed they're a mix of stuff including (of course) peroxide. No idea about the specifics though, to be honest. What else does Bblonde has?

A gelling agent which makes it easy to paint on.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

Gryzor