News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 1640 Parity Error

Started by Monkeyclock, 23:22, 15 July 16

Previous topic - Next topic

Monkeyclock

Hey guys so I have bought a 1640 off Gumtree for £1....Only problem is that when it boots up it throws up a memory parity error.

Upon further investigation I discovered that the batteries had leaked and there was a lot of corrosion on the main board. I have cleaned as much as I can off the board - focusing on the memory chips - with vinegar.

I have also checked to see if any of the ram chips have failed and if any traces were damaged, however I couldn't see anything wrong.

Anyone got any ideas?

1024MAK

Yes, you need to check the connections with a multimeter on the resistance or continuity ranges. Visual inspection is good, but does not tell you if the connections, tracks etc are actually electrically good.

It's helpful if you have a schematic diagram. If not, you will have to "reverse engineer it" as you go.

Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

Bryce

The problem may not be due to the actual leaking/corrosion. Could it possibly be just a case of the BIOS settings being wrong because the battery was flat? The RAM may be fine.

Bryce.

Monkeyclock

How would I check/change the bios settings?

Bryce

There's a program called NVR.EXE on one of the disks. Try running that.

Bryce.

Monkeyclock

Ah...then I have a problem - I don't have the disks...

Bryce

I'm sure you can find the file somewhere online.

Bryce.

Edit: 20 second google search.... Amstrad File Archive

Monkeyclock

How would I transfer the files over?

Bryce

Can't you save them to a disk?

Bryce.

Monkeyclock

I don't have a 51/4 inch disk drive that can connect to my main pc.. (sorry for noob questions)