News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Damn postal services

Started by CraigsBar, 19:56, 17 February 15

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

Should be the fact that they used a 3.3V CPLD version instead of the 5V version?
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 09:10, 27 February 15
Yes, looks like it's "warming itself up" then. They must have changed something in the code between versions?
You can send them over if you like, but there's not much I can do with them. I certainly can't reduce the heat problem (other than slapping a heatsink onto it, which you could also do yourself). I (or someone else) can probably tell you what the diode does just from decent photos of the top/bottom of the PCB and as TFM said, the RAM/ROM can't be write-protected, it's just SRAM.

Bryce.
I meant if the CPLD itself was protected, not the content of the ram. As you say, you guessed DrZed would have protected it, but this was not confirmed.

If it is not protected, I assume the good one can be copied so I would have 2 that don't get hot?

Or am I missing the point.
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

Bryce

Ah, no, you're not missing the point, you just confused the matter by calling it RAM/ROM. A CPLD doesn't have RAM or ROM as such.

I can try to read one if you like, but I doubt it will be possible.

@TotO: I don't think they went to a 3.3V part (if one even exists for that part).

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 09:37, 27 February 15
Ah, no, you're not missing the point, you just confused the matter by calling it RAM/ROM. A CPLD doesn't have RAM or ROM as such.

I can try to read one if you like, but I doubt it will be possible.

@TotO: I don't think they went to a 3.3V part (if one even exists for that part).

Bryce.
ahh, the board has 2 CPLDs one for the ram/rom, and one for the ide. It's the ram/rom one that is getting hot.

TotO

Quote from: Bryce on 09:37, 27 February 15@TotO: I don't think they went to a 3.3V part (if one even exists for that part).
What is printed on the hot CPLD?
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

CraigsBar

Will compare and update later. Currently watching ospreys vs leinster.

CraigsBar

Quote from: CraigsBar on 20:58, 27 February 15
Will compare and update later. Currently watching ospreys vs leinster.
Hmmm, 80 minutes and it ends 9 - 9. Oh well, propper rugby tomorrow!

The I has the following markings.

XILINX
XC9572
PCG44AMM0537
F3007528A
15C

Which seems slightly different to the not getting hot one.

Ok Hot one:[attach=2]

Not hot one: [attach=3]

Bryce

Both 5V parts. If they were the 3.3V version they would be called XC9572XL.

Bryce.