News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 464 blue sceen problem

Started by Alexandre Rouma, 10:24, 29 July 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Morn

So in other words the crystal is bad?

Bryce

As stated above, if the crystal was bad or the signal wasn't correct at pin 8 of IC125, he would not get the correct measurement at the 4Mhz signal path, which he has already measured as correct.

I suspect that he is either measuring it wrong or his scope isn't set up correctly. Eitherway, it's highly unlikely that the crystal is the problem. We should concentrate on where the real problem is.

My next suggestion would be to check each data / address line coming from the CPU. Are they toggling at all?

Also as mentioned earlier, a picture of the screen would be helpful.

Bryce.

Edit: Alexandre, I've been trying to find more information about your scope online, but I can't find a thing. Is it really just called PM3008? Do you have a picture of it?

Alexandre Rouma

so, while I take picture
My address lines are toggling
My data lines are also toggling
The fitnessgram pacer test is a multi-stage arobic capacity test

Bryce

Ok, well that's a start and it confirms that both the 16Mhz and 4Mhz clock ar eworking fine.

Bryce.

Morn

Quote from: Alexandre Rouma on 11:02, 30 July 15
so, while I take picture
Take pictures of your scope and the PCB too while you're at it.

Morn

Wow, that CPC is dusty and dirty inside.  ;D

Alexandre Rouma

Morn

Morn

But seriously, you should really use some wipes, compressed air, etc. to get rid of all that dust. How are you supposed to measure anything on the board when it looks like it was stored in a sawmill?

Alexandre Rouma

So I made a little video so you can realy see what's happening. I'm uploading it on youtube so while it's uploading, I wanted to show you the schematic of my cable so you can tell me if it is correct:

Bryce

Yes, it's a PM3208. Alexandre's been saying PM3008 up to now. Eitherway, it's more than enough to fix a CPC, a lot more than I had when I fixed my first CPCs!

Definitely dirt will be a problem. If that what the PCB looks like, then I can imagine what the terminals in the monitor port must look like. Alexandre, clean the PCB with a dry paint brush. Clean the monitor port socket with some form of contact cleaner.

Bryce.

Bryce

Oops, wait! You've got that cable connected to a TV? That possibly gives a blue screen when nothing recognisable is connected?? So it's not a CPC Blue screen, it's a TV "no input signal" blue screen?

Bryce.

Alexandre Rouma

no, The blue screen is from the CPC you will see on the video that the no signal screen of my TV is black with No signal written on it

Also, should I clean the contacts with some alcohol

Alexandre Rouma

Morn

So it looks like the system is at least trying to display Mode 1 characters as it should when it boots up. Each vertical stripe appears to be four Mode 1 characters wide. The characters itself look garbled though.

We need more Bryce advice here.  :)

Morn

Also, in the video the text colour looks like pen 2 (light blue-green) when it should be pen 1 (yellow).

Alexandre Rouma

no, It's my camera, It's blue with white lines

Bryce

Ah ok. that's not a blue screen as I had imagined it, that's why a picture is always good. One of your RAM ICs is most likely dead.

Bryce.

Alexandre Rouma

How could I know which one ?

Bryce

You might be able to check by monitoring their Dout pin. As the CPC is only pulling 500mA the chip won't be shorted, so it won't be getting hot.

Bryce.

Alexandre Rouma

Is it possible to replace it by making a circuit with a 24LC64 ?

Bryce

?? A 24LC64 is an EEPROM, you need RAM.

Bryce.

Morn

Quote from: Bryce on 13:00, 30 July 15
One of your RAM ICs is most likely dead.
So I was correct with my initial wild guess. Yay, remote diagnosis! I demand the golden CPC award for repair excellence for that.  :D

Bryce

Quote from: Morn on 15:41, 30 July 15
So I was correct with my initial wild guess. Yay, remote diagnosis! I demand the golden CPC award for repair excellence for that.  :D

Consider yourself awarded. Please come to the front of the class to get a star on your copy book.

Bryce.