News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 464 tape loading woes

Started by llopis, 15:42, 19 June 19

Previous topic - Next topic

llopis

I have fixed a CPC 464 (tall keys, my fave!), but now I'm having trouble loading anything from tape.

When I try to load anything, I just hear a lot of noise on the speakers. If I turn the volume all the way up, I hear the beeping of the tape way behind all the other noise. That noise goes up and down with the volume, so it's not just random static.

Here's the weird part: I also hear noise when I activate the cassette motor for fast forwarding or rewinding. That noise also changes volume with the volume wheel.

I checked the tape PCB and didn't find any dry joints, and the read cables have continuity to the PCB (which makes sense since the tape sound is heard in the background).

Any ideas what I should check that might be causing this? I can post a video if that would help.

Bryce

The capacitors on the tapedeck PCB probably need to be changed. Also make sure that you have connected that wire that grounds the tapedecks frame.

Bryce.

llopis

Quote from: Bryce on 07:48, 24 June 19
The capacitors on the tapedeck PCB probably need to be changed. Also make sure that you have connected that wire that grounds the tapedecks frame.
Yup, that was it. Thanks. Changed all the capacitors and cleaned up the connections of the motor wires and it works fine now. Now on to the other, more puzzling one.