News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 472 disaster. Please help

Started by angelcaio, 12:17, 09 February 20

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

Yes. I will ship the parcel to Bryce tomorrow morning.  ;)
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Bryce

The 40022 arrived last night. I'll try to get it tested and installed by the weekend and report back.

Bryce.

Bryce

As if it had never been broken. Back looking like a bought one, up and running with an original 40022...

Bryce.

Gryzor

So it does nothing once more? 😄

Good job, it'd be a shame...

angelcaio

Great work Bryce!!! And many thanks!

Bryce

Quote from: Gryzor on 12:51, 01 March 20
So it does nothing once more? 😄

Good job, it'd be a shame...

Well the 40022 does something, just the 4164 RAM's do nothing although they are all powered.

@angelcaio: I'll bring it to the post tomorrow.

Bryce.

geebus

I love a happy ending! especially when it involves a 472. Good work @Bryce
I'd love to see your workstation set up. I'd also love more of that knowledge in your head  ;)

Bryce

Quote from: geebus on 09:38, 02 March 20
I love a happy ending! especially when it involves a 472. Good work @Bryce
I'd love to see your workstation set up. I'd also love more of that knowledge in your head  ;)

You mean "The healing Bench" where things get fixed... Here's what it generally looks like, although I have changed it slightly since this picture (and it's NEVER that clean).

Bryce.

SkulleateR

Holy ...  :o
Really really nice setup  8)

Bryce

Admittedly, the majority of gear you see there isn't required for retro repair. I do a lot of development and high frequency stuff that requires most of those instruments.

Bryce.

geebus

I've just had my loft made into another room (still working on it really but it's accessible now) and thinking it's going to be my computer room.
Going to have a nice repair station there with my soldering equipment. Considering getting a hot air station and a desoldering gun.
Anyway, i'm now changing the topic.
Nice setup you have  :D

Gryzor

Thinking about the same, but a soldering station would mean one less machine set up... Oh well!

VincentGR

Bryce, you really need an oscilloscope...

;D

Bryce

Quote from: VincentGR on 16:35, 02 March 20
Bryce, you really need an oscilloscope...

;D

There's only 3 scopes in that picture, the other device is a spectrum analyser and the Rigol scope is mainly used for its Logic analyser. But don't worry, I have two others that aren't in that picture, plus a handheld scope for "away-jobs".

Bryce.

VincentGR

Bryce

The problem with scopes is, by the time you upgrade, the old one is worth a fraction of what you paid for it. So you end up keeping the old one too. That said, I have sometimes been extremely happy to have had a second or third scope to probe 7 or 8 points at once in extremely tricky situations.

The oldest scope in the picture is the Tektronix 2465 (still considered one of the best analogue scopes ever made), which is the same device I used in University. I regularly use "The Retro Scope" for retro repairs, however, I swap to a modern scope if I need to put pictures on the forum. I can't seem to find the USB port on the 2465??

Bryce.

Gryzor

"to have had a second or third scope to probe 7 or 8 points "

Jean Michel Jarre comes to mind :D

Bryce

He didn't have any scopes, but he had a ("frickin") Laser organ! I wanted one of those so much as a kid, that I went and built a mini version (which nearly blinded me)!

Bryce.

Gryzor

That's a performance I'd like to have seen 😄

How did it work?

robcfg

Haven't you been to any Jean-Michel Jarre concert?

He's still pretty much alive'n kickin' and he show that Laser Harp on mostly every occasion.

Gryzor

No I've never been to one, but I was talking about Bryce's performance :D

In any case I didn't mean his laser thing, but rather how he goes mad turning dials and switches all over the place!

Bryce

It worked exactly like Jean Michel's device. A laser split into several beams with light sensors between the beams. Holding your hand over a beam reflects the light back into the sensor and triggers a tone. Mine had red lasers though (laser pointer).

Bryce.

VincentGR

Thank God you abandoned it cause now you would play the accordion  ;D 

angelcaio

The resurected 472 board is arrived yesterday and it's like before accident
Many thanks to @Bryce  for the miracle!!.
Also to @TotO for providing me a 40022 ROM.

Bryce

Glad I could help.

Bryce.