News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 6128 - Can I load emulated game files?

Started by jonesypeter, 21:48, 09 February 15

Previous topic - Next topic

jonesypeter

Hi,

I recently managed to purchase a CPC 6128.

Is there anyway of loading game from Emulator files in a similar fashion to the TAP files for the ZX Spectrum?

As an example of what I am looking for:

Tape To Disc Conversion ~ Random Kak

Thanks

TFM

Congratulations to the right machine. You can download .DSK files from cpc-power or similar, then copy them to a 3.5" disc using CPCDiskXP or similar. If you have only a 3" inch drive, then the solution of using the Mini-Booster on the MX4 may be a great idea.

Also a HxC floppy emulator can be added as B-drive (also works as A drive), it contains an SD card, which you can fill up easily on the PC side.

Greets from NOLA,
TFM

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

jonesypeter

Hi,

Many thanks, I will give those options a go.

chinnyhill10

Quote from: jonesypeter on 21:48, 09 February 15
Hi,

I recently managed to purchase a CPC 6128.

Is there anyway of loading game from Emulator files in a similar fashion to the TAP files for the ZX Spectrum?

As an example of what I am looking for:

Tape To Disc Conversion ~ Random Kak

Thanks

Get an HxC floppy emulator and load games from SD card or get a cassette cable from Retro Computer Shack and load CDT files in using TZX playback software.

I wouldn't go messing around transferring dsk files to a floppy and loading them that way. Life's too short.
--
ChinnyVision - Reviews Of Classic Games Using Original Hardware
chinnyhill10 - YouTube

pelrun

And if you get a tape cable you can use my silly thing to transfer DSK images across to actual disks without extra hardware:

DSK2CDT2DISC - get disc images onto your CPC via... a tape?!

paradroid90

As TFM suggested I use CPCDISKXP via an old compaq laptop.

It is quick an easy, you should be able in some cases get 7 or 8 games on a disk if you have access to Parados :-)

Good Luck :-)
Embrace all 8 Bits :-)

CPC_Fan

I use CPCDiskXP to put .dsk images onto 3.5" floppies as well. Main reason being is that it was much easier and cheaper for me to get a 3.5" disc drive and cable kit from eBay and use an old pc with a 3.5" disc drive, than it was to buy a HxC floppy emulator. However I will hopefully buy a HxC floppy emulator one day, when funds allow.

TFM

Oh, and btw: If you decide to buy a 3.5" floppy for the CPC6128 as B-drive (which is cheap), then please be sure that this Drive has a real 'Ready signal' and not just the Ready-pin short cut. Else more advanced stuff won't work properly.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CPC_Fan

I hope that wasn't a dig at me TFM?? Yes the drive and cable kit that I brought from eBay was reasonably cheap, but it suits my budget and requirements. Also the cable has 2 separate switches on it, one acts as an ABBA switch and the other as a side select switch. Therefore I can make the most out of the drive.

By the way, just out of interest, what 'advanced stuff' can you do if the drive has a real ready signal? I only ask, as I don't know lots about the workings of the CPC hardwear.

TFM

Quote from: CPC_Fan on 18:26, 10 February 15
I hope that wasn't a dig at me TFM?

No, it's just getting harder to get drives with ready signals in this days. I bought one at ebay myself, and didn't ask for Ready before. Bad luck so.

Examples for software needing Ready signals are FutureOS and SymbOS.

TFM of FutureSoft

CPC_Fan

OK. Thanks for the info TFM. I guess that I will see if the drive has a ready signal or not on it, when my X-Mem turns up and I put FutureOS or SymbOS on it.

TFM

Quote from: CPC_Fan on 19:50, 10 February 15
OK. Thanks for the info TFM. I guess that I will see if the drive has a ready signal or not on it, when my X-Mem turns up and I put FutureOS or SymbOS on it.

Make a picture of the drive PCB (naked, no metal clothing) and post it here. Guess somebody can tell you what to jumper to get a Ready signal if possible. Bryce and Gerald are experts.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft