News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC464 tape deck speed issues

Started by Liveinabin, 15:22, 11 May 20

Previous topic - Next topic

Liveinabin

Hi
My first post on the forum (but pre-joining, I've found this an invaluable resource!)

I'm fixing up an old CPC464 for a friend - it's my first experience with an Amstrad (have plenty of Commodores and Sinclairs) and I'm really impressed with it - superbly designed computer. I've cleaned it up, replaced a few key plungers, but otherwise the computer part of it needs very little - this ain't no issue 1 Spectrum :)

Anyway, unsurprisingly, the tape deck is failing. Fast forward and rewind are fine but, on playing, the sound is awful - speeds up and slows down fairly randomly.  No game will load (although I do get to the loading screens of a few titles - Amstrads are resilient little loaders aren't they?)

Here's what I've tried so far:

• Replaced the belt (both belts, but the counter is fine)
  • Cleaned cogs and capstan
  • Lubricated (just vaseline) on the moving bits and cog teeth
  • Cleaned the head
  • Fine sanded the rubber pinch wheel
And, of course, a general clean up.  Speed is still bad though, sounds like a Walkman with the batteries running out :)

Is there something I've missed? The motor perhaps? There aren't many bits of this tape deck that I haven't done something with.

I have made my friend aware of TZXduinos and Goteks (and if it were mine, I'd be ditching tape altogether) but I think the whole nostalgia hook for them does tie into being able to load their old Dizzy tapes.

CanonMan

Have you tried applying a tiny drop of 3-in-1 oil to both bearings on the motor?

I do this by tipping some oil on a very small flat screwdriver and then touching it against the bearings.

Make sure you don't get any oil on the pulley...

Bryce

Have you visually inspected the rubber rollers (while turning) to make sure they aren't oval after years of non-use?

Bryce.

Liveinabin

Wow, two things I haven't tried at all.  Cheers.
I'll have a look at the rubber rollers in a bit.  I assume I'll need to replace them (or give up) if they're worn.
As for the motor, what am I looking for? I don't want to be dropping oil on the wrong bit. I must admit I've barely looked at the motor.

Bryce

If they are just shiny from years of use, you can bring them back to life by roughing the surface up with sandpaper. But if the wheel has a notch from pushing against the bar at the same point for years, then you'll need to replace the wheel.

Bryce.

Liveinabin

OK, I've been watching the wheels carefully and everything seems round (I'm looking at the pinch roller and the idler thing in the middle, right?)
I've noticed that the mechanism does click every second and the right hand tape cog does jump a little.

Liveinabin

Incidentally, am I right in thinking that Commodore C2N tape decks can be used for donor parts on these.  I've heard it mentioned.

Bryce

Many of the smaller parts are identical in almost all tape decks, not just the commodore C2N. I've used parts from a standard mono deck to repair an ALF03 (Acorn tape deck) and an Atari XC12.

Bryce.

Liveinabin

Nice to know, thanks.  Well, given I have a C2N (and no intention of ever loading a C64 or VIC20 game from tape ever again), are there any bits that might be worth swapping out to test?  I just can't see what's wrong with this thing, it's so frustrating :)