News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 6128 external 3" disc drive LED status

Started by bene78, 23:32, 13 November 22

Previous topic - Next topic

bene78

Hi all!

I have been searching the forum but I end up getting lost between messages without seeing the solution (if there is one)

I just made a cable to connect an external 3" drive that I had unused as drive B. So far so good.
I have used a 24-wire flat cable following the assembly instructions on the wiki.

I have two questions, to see if someone can help me with this:
1.- The led of unit B, the external unit, always stays on. It only flashes when Drive A is reading from a disk. Is there a way to get the LED on drive B to act the same as the one on drive A?
2.- With drive B powered and with the data cable connected to the CPC, when the CPC is off the motor starts up. When I turn on the CPC the motor turns off. It is normal?

Thanks in advance!

poulette73

Hello,

I don't know if this will help you because I don't have an external 3" drive.

But I have a Gotek external drive, and a 3"1/2 external drive, each with a cable with drive selector.

• Internal 3" drive as A and external 3"1/2 drive as B :

• When reading from A, no led from B, and external 3"1/2 drive led always stays off.
  • When reading from B, the led of drive A flashes during loading, and internal drive motor stays off.

• External 3"1/2 drive as A (internal 3" drive disabled) :

• When reading from A, internal 3" drive led always stays off, and drive motor stays off.

• Internal 3" drive as A and external Gotek drive as B :

• When reading from A, the led of drive B flashes during loading.
  • When reading from B, the led of drive A flashes during loading, and internal drive motor stays on while loading only.

• External Gotek drive as A (internal 3" drive disabled) :

• When reading from A, internal 3" drive led flashes occasionally but not every time, and drive motor stays on permanently.

Quote from: bene78 on 23:32, 13 November 22when the CPC is off the motor starts up. When I turn on the CPC the motor turns off.
Not in my case.
When my CPC is off, the motor stays off (regardless of the drives I plug in, and the position of drive A or B).

bene78

Hello poulette37

Thank you very much for your detailed answer!!!
I have several Gotek and it is as you say, and in this case I have modified the connection of the led to record reading activity.
But the case is in a connection to a real 3" drive, with the cable with less wires. I could try to modify the 3" drive as well as I do with the gotek, but I was wondering if there was another way.