News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 6128 Keyboard cable extension

Started by eto, 14:54, 05 October 22

Previous topic - Next topic

eto

While doing repairs or extensions I regularly have to test the system and e.g. type in some commands or just press a key. I then either have to connect/disconnect the keyboard every time or have to keep it connected somehow at the side, which is always fragile and with the risk of ripping out the cable.

Any idea how to build an extension that I can plug in, so that I can have the keyboard connected, but can move it around easily? It would also help if I would know how these connectors and cables are called. I might have missed them, but I haven't even found them in the service manuals. 

pelrun

FFC, FPC or "flat flex" are the standard terms you're after.

The big problem you're going to encounter is that 2.54mm pitch ffc is *incredibly* uncommon.

It's still possible to find the same sort of friction-fit connectors as in the CPC on aliexpress, but finding the cables themselves will be difficult. I did find one vendor selling them custom, but not cheaply. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001622920932.html

Richard_Lloyd

Hi @eto 

If you mean the screen and power cables, extensions are available here.

https://coolnovelties.co.uk/coolnovelties/amstrad-power-cables/342-amstrad-cpc-464-monitor-extension-cable-set.html

For a 6128 you will need an extra power cable. Contact them - I found them very helpful.

Richard.
Richard
CPC464, CPC6128, PCW8512, PCW10, BSA & NSP

WacKEDmaN

im actually thinking about making an adapter for ribbon style keyboard to connect to the through hole connector on older boards...with 2x 2.54mm sockets on a board...
i guess you could do sort of the same...solder the wires from the board with the flat flex connector to the bottom of the cpc board connector with wires that you can make whatever length you like...

eto

Quote from: Richard_Lloyd on 17:16, 05 October 22Hi @eto

If you mean the screen and power cables, extensions are available here.

Thanks a lot. I meant the internal keyboard connection, but maybe your link will be helpful in the future. 

eto

Quote from: pelrun on 15:57, 05 October 22FFC, FPC or "flat flex" are the standard terms you're after.

The big problem you're going to encounter is that 2.54mm pitch ffc is *incredibly* uncommon.

It's still possible to find the same sort of friction-fit connectors as in the CPC on aliexpress, but finding the cables themselves will be difficult. I did find one vendor selling them custom, but not cheaply. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001622920932.html

Thanks so much, it worked perfectly out. 

I found one seller on Ebay.de who sells matching flat cables. Overall I had to spend less than 15€. That's perfectly acceptable. 

eto

Some time ago I made an adapter PCB to more easily create an extension. 

With a width of .8mm it fits into the connector on the motherboard (1) and I made it in a way that you can use the same PCB to hold the FPC connector on the other side (2). With 4 PCBs, 2 FPC connectors and a cheap flat cable, you can make an extension for the keyboard. 

Another use case could be if you build a USB-keyboard adapter and want to connect to the original keyboard connector rather then soldering to the motherboard or IC pins directly.

I can share the Gerber file if somebody needs it. (When you order them, you can panelise the order and get a lot of those PCBs for more or less the same price as just 5. )

I also have a few available and can send 4 pieces for 3€ worldwide (letter untracked). In Germany I can also include 2 FPC connectors (unfortunately not feasible for international shipments due to high costs, it's probably easier and cheaper to buy them on Ebay).