News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 6128 PLUS - NO DRIVE - disc missing

Started by willow3411, 19:58, 01 November 23

Previous topic - Next topic

willow3411

Quote from: Bryce on 16:52, 06 November 23
Quote from: SerErris on 14:12, 06 November 23What you also can do is connect your working 6128 drive and power it from external power supply. And then see if it works.

If you power the 6128 drive from a different supply as the CPC, you will need to connect the GND's of both supplies together or you could seriously damage either the drive or the CPC!

Bryce.
Hi Bryce!
I think I'll try to find another floppy drive to do the testing.
the player is an EME-157
because when you say you have to connect the two gnd together? are you talking about the two GNDs of the floppy drive connector?

And if anyone has a floppy EME-157 to sell me, I'm a buyer.
thanks in advance
willow3411

SerErris

You are totally right and I should have mentioned that. I just thougth that this does not need any explanation, but you are right.
Proud owner of 2 Schneider CPC 464, 1 Schneider CPC 6128, GT65 and lots of books
Still learning all the details on how things work.

SerErris

Quote from: willow3411 on 19:32, 06 November 23
Quote from: Bryce on 16:52, 06 November 23
Quote from: SerErris on 14:12, 06 November 23What you also can do is connect your working 6128 drive and power it from external power supply. And then see if it works.

If you power the 6128 drive from a different supply as the CPC, you will need to connect the GND's of both supplies together or you could seriously damage either the drive or the CPC!

Bryce.
Hi Bryce!
I think I'll try to find another floppy drive to do the testing.
the player is an EME-157
because when you say you have to connect the two gnd together? are you talking about the two GNDs of the floppy drive connector?

And if anyone has a floppy EME-157 to sell me, I'm a buyer.
thanks in advance
willow3411

What he means is, that you connect the power connector from the 6128 PLUS to the drive and in addition connect the lab power supply to GND to the CPC GND and the +12V rail of the lab power supply to the +12V pin on the drive.

This is really crucial, as otherwise the GND is not Common and can be any voltage compared to the other GND. 

So put the GND from the bench supply to the black cable on the drive power supply and the +12V cable to the unused pin. 
Proud owner of 2 Schneider CPC 464, 1 Schneider CPC 6128, GT65 and lots of books
Still learning all the details on how things work.

darkhalf

Quoteplayer is an EME-157
You are going to struggle to find another one of these. I've been looking for CPC drives on ebay etc and the prices have increased. Especially since support for CPC drives in Greaseweazle. It was actually cheaper to get a CPC6128 from france than to purchase a DDI-1 or even just a drive alone (!)

I would another alternative is trying a Shugart compatible 3.5" drive on the external floppy port (needs the 34 pin adaptor to drive). 

However same deal with needing external 5V and 12V power and common ground shared with the CPC6128 (PC ATX power supply for example). Normal CPC drives (like EME) have 12V (motor) and 5V swapped around, so triple check this before connecting to power

If you don't get a motor spinning when testing, then 12V power is not functioning
CPC464/GT64, CPC464 Plus/CTM640, 2 x CPC6128/CTM644

willow3411

You are going to struggle to find another one of these. I've been looking for CPC drives on ebay etc and the prices have increased. Especially since support for CPC drives in Greaseweazle. It was actually cheaper to get a CPC6128 from france than to purchase a DDI-1 or even just a drive alone (!)

I would another alternative is trying a Shugart compatible 3.5" drive on the external floppy port (needs the 34 pin adaptor to drive). 

However same deal with needing external 5V and 12V power and common ground shared with the CPC6128 (PC ATX power supply for example). Normal CPC drives (like EME) have 12V (motor) and 5V swapped around, so triple check this before connecting to power

If you don't get a motor spinning when testing, then 12V power is not functioning 

willow3411