News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 664 won't boot

Started by anyweb, 14:10, 12 January 21

Previous topic - Next topic

anyweb

Quote from: llopis on 20:00, 04 February 21
On the Dandanator you can hold the leftmost button while starting up the Amstrad to launch the extra test ROM.

I don't know which one comes by default, but I recommend you use Gerald's one:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/quick-and-dirty-ram-test-for-cpc/

(You'll need to pad the ROM to exactly 16KB to load it in the Dananator).
thanks I'll try it Noel !

anyweb

ok Noel was right ! thanks Noel, pressing left black button while powering on runs the RAM test, check it out

Bryce

Ok, you may as well swap them all then. At least you can use the time now to start removing them.

Bryce.

anyweb

yup i'll try and do that this weekend !

anyweb

I finally got around to removing the RAM and adding sockets+new RAM yesterday, and I'm very happy to say that Bryce was totally correct, the RAM was the problem, it's now working ! I even replaced the keyboard membrane so that's working perfectly too, now all I need to do is to figure out why the FDD motor is ON permanently when power is connected, and of course, replace the FDD cable which has definitely perished. I created a video of my first ever efforts at replacing RAM in a CPC here, so don't laugh too much...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv_l1rjtPUQ

Bryce

Quote from: anyweb on 21:59, 14 February 21now all I need to do is to figure out why the FDD motor is ON permanently when power is connected

Because that's what it does. Totally normal for a CPC.

Bryce.

anyweb

i mean it's buzzing constantly, on all my other cpc's with FDD's they don't do that until I try to CAT or run something,this sounds like the motor is stuck ON

Bryce

Quote from: anyweb on 21:30, 15 February 21
i mean it's buzzing constantly, on all my other cpc's with FDD's they don't do that until I try to CAT or run something,this sounds like the motor is stuck ON

There's a sensor to detect when the head has returned to it's outer position. If this sensor is broken or has bad solder joints the head is permanently trying to park. That makes a pretty loud buzzing sound.

Bryce.

anyweb

ok, i'll look into that but this definitely (to me) sounds like the actual FDD motor is ON permanently once the 12v is connected, once i disconnect the 12V it goes quiet...